Scamp with shower question? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1971
Scamp with shower question?

I have a question for you Scamp owners that have the bath/shower. I understand that to use the shower the fresh water pump must run. That is the same with any trailer. But after reading some thread here, do I understand correctly, that the shower does not use a gravity drain and a second gray water pump is used to pump the water into the gray water tank? Or am I out in left field here? That would be different than any other camper I have owned in the past and seems a bit odd to me. But I suppose the compact design has some drawbacks. Thanks.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry71 View Post
I have a question for you Scamp owners that have the bath/shower. I understand that to use the shower the fresh water pump must run. That is the same with any trailer. But after reading some thread here, do I understand correctly, that the shower does not use a gravity drain and a second gray water pump is used to pump the water into the gray water tank? Or am I out in left field here? That would be different than any other camper I have owned in the past and seems a bit odd to me. But I suppose the compact design has some drawbacks. Thanks.
Jerry you understand correctly. The shower drain has to have the pump on because the shower drain pipe(hose) runs parallel along the outside bottom of the trailer to the gray tank. There is also a clean out plug in the drain hose that needs to be unscrewed and cleaned out occasionally. It is is easily accessed under the trailer just a foot or two from the shower drain. Ours has the side bath, but I assume the front bath has a similar set up. I hope this helps. Ron W.
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

OK thanks.

Does the gray water tank have a seperate gate valve or is it's drain tied into the black water tank drain pipe?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
OK thanks.
Does the gray water tank have a seperate gate valve or is it's drain tied into the black water tank drain pipe?
On the 16 with a side bath I believe it drains directly into the gray water.
Only the front bath has a drain pump.
There is a separate drain for each tank.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, my 1988 side bath does not have a pump for the gray tank. Just a hose that looks like a garden hose that runs to the gray tank.

I find the separate valves on the tanks to be a PITA. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
If you're hooked up to city water you don't need to turn the fresh water pump on. You would only need the drain pump in that case for the front shower because the drop floor makes the drain too low to drain back to the grey tank without assistance.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
On the 16 with a side bath I believe it drains directly into the gray water.
Only the front bath has a drain pump.
There is a separate drain for each tank.
Floyd,
My 16SD has the shower drain pumping directly to the grey tank, but there is only one valve involved in draining that tank on mine. The only other valve is the black tank for the toilet.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #8

I believe Floyd mean two valves, one for the gray water and one for the backwater which necessitates two hoses run to the sewer. Although the one for the gray water can be a garden-hose type if the valve cap and sewer connection have the fittings. Still a PITA IMHO.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My 92 side bath also has a seperate pump for the shower drain which pumps to the grey water tank. Switch is on the back wall of the bathroom. If boom docking and wanting to to save power normally I do not run it while actually showering - tend to turn it on when finished as the floor is deep enought to hold the water from a short/fast shower.

As with all the water taps in the trailer, the water pump needs to be on if you are not connected to city water.

The grey water tank does indeed have a seperate gate valve from the black water.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

Thanks everybody. I think I go it. A pump that pumps the shower drain water into the gray tank. It doesn't necessarily need to be run constantly while showering. Just make sure the shower basin doesn't run over. And if it does, you are using too much water anyway. So turn the pump on when you are done showering to drain the basin and to save battery life when not plugged in. That's a good tip.

And there are two gate valves. One to drain the black water tank and a separate one to drain the gray water tank, all though, that one may not really be considered a gate valve, but a valve of some kind just the same.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
And there are two gate valves. One to drain the black water tank and a separate one to drain the gray water tank, all though, that one may not really be considered a gate valve, but a valve of some kind just the same.
Jerry the gray water gate valves looks just like the black water value and can use the exact same sewer hose and hookups. EXCEPT the gray water bayonet cap has a fitting for a garden hose and there's also a fitting on the sewer plug cap. So that means you could use either kind of hose. OR, if you need to have both tanks draining, you need two hoses. One a sewer hose the other a garden hose.

Enough potty talk
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #12

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
Ok so nothing happens when I switch the pump on the back wall.. What now.. Where do I look to go on from here? This is the first time we have used the shower and the people before us never used the shower at all. This is a 2010 16 ft front shower scamp.
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Thanks for posting the question. I went out to my trailer to check something before answering your question and discovered the screw holding the strap that holds the pump had pulled out. No biggie but I'd rather have the pump supported by the strap than the hoses.

Scamp wiring ,how can I say it politely, sucks. They use twist connectors with abandon. I just undid the ones on my water pump and could see some corrosion.

So: all connectors and connections are suspect. The first thing that I do in this situation and yes, I am serious, is, with the switch on, give the pump a couple of good thunks (technical term). On my 13 the back of the switch and the terminals are accessible from the locker. I'd check for voltage at the switch. I'd also check the wires under the trailer by the pump as there's probably some connections there. If so, undo each one and scrape the corrosion from the wires.

Electrical items sitting unused often don't function after a period of time.

Try the above items and it's likely you'll find the problem

Good luck
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
The other possibility is the pump was never winterized and it is shot. Previous owners may not have realised the need if they never used the shower. The pump is tested at the factory so it ships with fluid in the pump.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Same problem Same solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thanks for posting the question. I went out to my trailer to check something before answering your question and discovered the screw holding the strap that holds the pump had pulled out. No biggie but I'd rather have the pump supported by the strap than the hoses.

Scamp wiring ,how can I say it politely, sucks. They use twist connectors with abandon. I just undid the ones on my water pump and could see some corrosion.

So: all connectors and connections are suspect. The first thing that I do in this situation and yes, I am serious, is, with the switch on, give the pump a couple of good thunks (technical term). On my 13 the back of the switch and the terminals are accessible from the locker. I'd check for voltage at the switch. I'd also check the wires under the trailer by the pump as there's probably some connections there. If so, undo each one and scrape the corrosion from the wires.

Good luck
The pump on my 16 ft SD did not work so I thunked the motor and replaced Scamps less than professional wiring. I soldered the wires and covered the splices with shrink tube designed for wet locations oh yah I had to remount the pump motor too.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
Thanks to Ron in BC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Good luck
I appreciate this posting! I purchased a used 10-year old 19' Scamp with the side bathroom; the previous (original) owner said they had never used the shower. When I tried turning on the shower drain pump... nothing. So I took this advice from Ron in BC!

I turned on the switch for the pump, and then went outside under the shower... I thunked the pump a couple of times, started jiggling the connections which were somewhat encrusted, and spayed them with WD-40... and the pump came on! YAY!
RaceEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #17

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I want to know the ways replace rv shower faucet. Replacing RV faucets is one of the arduous tasks in preserving the health of your vehicle, as it requires plumbing and technical skills. Is that right?
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Replacing an RV faucets is a pretty simple task. You'll need a couple tools and watch a video.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 06-29-2020, 01:15 AM   #19

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Replacing an RV faucets is a pretty simple task. You'll need a couple tools and watch a video.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Oh thank you. I have found the way to replacing an rv faucets in https://www.listatrailer.com/how-to-...shower-faucet/ . I think it useful
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp