Modify Scamp door lock for more security - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lock on Amazon

I followed Dave's example and installed a lock like his except in white. I replaced my lock, not for night time security, but to keep the door closed while driving. The existing pin system works well enough for night time use.

Our reason was we had the door open on one of our first trpis while driving. I temporarily installed a screw and bungee cord to keep it closed.

I bought the lock on Amazon $20 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Trailer...s=rv+door+lock

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Your out camping. Your door is so secure it's even hard for you to get out. All your windows are open and the highest security you have is the window screens over the windows. For the most part no one wants to mess with someone in their home, they will wait to enter your trailer when you're out on an ice cream run.

If I was worried I would use a deterrent like an alarm mat. Might just move the undesirables on to easier pickens or if you're in the trailer give you a heads up so you can get into defensive mode.

Pepper spray inside your trailer is a very, very bad Idea. You will probably scrap your trailer do to the contamination and how can you evade a perpetrator when your eyes are burning and you can't see where you're going?

Keep your car keys with the alarm button near you when you're sleeping. Its loud enough to ward off undesirables and piss off everyone in the campground at 2:00 am. But you will gain attention.

Walk around the campground with a big brown dog with white shiny teeth so if anyone was thinking about messing with you they look for easier pickings.

look into something like this. I have never used one or needed on so your on your own here.

http://www.amazon.com/EasyAlarms-Pre.../dp/B001QC98RC
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I followed Dave's example and installed a lock like his except in white. I replaced my lock, not for night time security, but to keep the door closed while driving. The existing pin system works well enough for night time use.

Our reason was we had the door open on one of our first trpis while driving. I temporarily installed a screw and bungee cord to keep it closed.

I bought the lock on Amazon $20 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Trailer...s=rv+door+lock

I had the same thing happen after almost 10 years the door came open. The spring wouldn't push the latch to a full latched position. Replace the latch from Scamp for $16. Problem solved for another few years without the need to cut holes, just simply remove 6 screws and replace. NOTE: The replacement doesn't have to holes for pin. If you want the pin you have to drill your own holes. I never bothered.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #24

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
alarm door mat is an interesting idea...wonder if it goes off with raccoon visitors? (Fort Casey State Park, Whidbey Is. WA. has raccoon warning signs)
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
California
Furry friend and protector

My wife suggests if she were alone she would get a dog. Even a small dog could raise an alarm if something untoward was happening and a larger dog could give a bad actor pause.
Jamesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #26

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRF View Post
Hi, I joined this site last fall after my husband and I picked up our 16' Scamp in Canada and had the learning experience of driving back to the Midwest through Ontario, NY, PA, OH. Wonderful trip but a lot to learn about the Scamp and towing!
We are towing with a 2013 Volvo XC 60. This is the first experience either of us have had with owning or towing a camper and this site has been a valuable resource.

I will be traveling alone sometimes and the lock on the door is not what I would like it to be: it's only a small nail-sized peg on a string that drops through the handle lock. I'd like the door to feel more secure when I'm alone.
Has anybody replaced or modified their Scamp door lock system for the purpose of feeling more secure?
i see that you are new to trailering. I can tell you that campgrounds are generally very safe places, often safer than home. That is, if there are a good number of people around, at least three or four others. It is not the big worry that you may think. We have rarely seen what might be an unsafe situation. That is more likely to occur off-season at a place with no one around. Be at places with camp hosts.

Army Corps is good at patrolling and some of theirs are open year-round. They have a book of campgrounds. Private campgrounds are usually very safe but maybe not. You can usually tell on arriving at a place whether you want to be there or move on. Good reason to arrive at a destination early and have another option. I would not rely on a door lock. I expect to be in a safe place in the first place, and you can probably see if that is the case.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Like Cathi

I agree with Cathi. You're probably safer in your camper than your home.

We travel in the off season, rarely traveling during the summer or peak seasons, yet we feel totally safe.

We did install a bolt lock, not for our safety but rather for keeping the door closed while we travel.

We would not consider a dog for safety. A dog can be restrictive to a camper.

For criminals empty homes are better targets, what is there to steal in a little trailer.

Feel safe...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #28

Name: Betty
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13
TX
I've taken a job in Wyoming and will be living in my 13' Scamp. I worry about bears and now I'm REALLY worried about my door!
bojetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not a surprise.

For starters Byron is a male so I have no doubt he feels very different about his personal safety in a variety of different locations and situations that most females would

Secondly, if I am not mistaken he does not travel on his own - another big difference. I also feel much safer camping at a many different locations when camping with a second party, than I do when camping on my own.

Do not know if Byron carries his own fire power or not, I do not and I suspect many single females do not either, which again might account for some of the difference as well.
The answer is NO I don't carry any fire arms of any kind

My wife travels with me. Both of us feel saver out camping than we do in town. More bad things have happened in town that out. We've never had any problems ourselves out, but I had windows broken on my truck twice and stuff stolen. House has been broken into at least twice and stuff stolen. As far as I'm concerned it's far safer out camping than being in town.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #30

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Bumping this lock thread up

Lots of questions about lock changes within other threads so let's see if I can bump this up. It has been a topic for many years. Above are two pages of solutions.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp