From a Scamp to a Geo Pro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
From a Scamp to a Geo Pro

I had a scamp 13 which we sold and were planning to get a scamp 19.

We cancelled the order and got a geo pro 19bh. We needed to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids which we could have done in the Scamp 19 but not the 16 unless we had no shower.

The geo pro came out weighing right about 3100lbs which is a good bit heavier but we can tow it with the minivan with no problem. We get about 14 MPG when we are pulling it.

Overall... well it is not solid fiberglass so I suppose it might be more prone to leaking later. The out the door cost was pretty much the same as the Scamp 19 would have been. It might have come out $1,000 more.

The appliances and finishing and AC and other amenities are just a world better than the scamp. It came with solar on the roof, wifi range extender, a nice TV and fancy speakers and lights on the inside.

Assuming it doesn't fall apart and start leaking it was for us a much better purchase than the scamp.

I still like the Scamps but it's getting harder to justify buying one over something like the geo pro which has aluminum framing and a solid fiberglass top.

Happy camping!
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I had a scamp 13 which we sold and were planning to get a scamp 19.

We cancelled the order and got a geo pro 19bh. We needed to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids which we could have done in the Scamp 19 but not the 16 unless we had no shower.

The geo pro came out weighing right about 3100lbs which is a good bit heavier but we can tow it with the minivan with no problem. We get about 14 MPG when we are pulling it.

Overall... well it is not solid fiberglass so I suppose it might be more prone to leaking later. The out the door cost was pretty much the same as the Scamp 19 would have been. It might have come out $1,000 more.

The appliances and finishing and AC and other amenities are just a world better than the scamp. It came with solar on the roof, wifi range extender, a nice TV and fancy speakers and lights on the inside.

Assuming it doesn't fall apart and start leaking it was for us a much better purchase than the scamp.

I still like the Scamps but it's getting harder to justify buying one over something like the geo pro which has aluminum framing and a solid fiberglass top.

Happy camping!
Well it's been nice having you on this forum with a fiberglass Scamp camper, as you know you will have to leave us now and pursue the GeoPro camper forum. Ok just kidding, keep us informed on your new camper from time to time, we all purchase what works for us and if this camper works for you and your family its a good thing. Have fun and go camping.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Not so hard to justify when you consider that in five years it will be worth about the same as a 20 YO Scamp 19.
The fiberglass roof is a nice feature and the trailer is beautiful.
Enjoy it as often as you can before your nest is empty. That happens FAST!

OH! Don't weigh it if you don't want to know! Especially loaded for a trip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All molded towables aren't for everyone for a number of reasons. As far as I'm concerned, it's NOT what you tow... it's that you GO. Go and make a ton of memories with your family. They'll long remember where you went and how much they had, promise
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The 19BH has a 360 lb. dry hitch weight. That's before you add the LP, battery, water, and gear. Have you checked that tongue with a scale? Just make sure you are not overloading the rear receiver and suspension, because that can cause damage.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

Alabama
Tongue weight was a problem! I got an anti sway tow hitch thing that was also a weight distribution ting which keeps the trailer from pulling the back of the van down to far. That solved about 80% of the problem but it was still a bit much for the minivan so today the minivan is getting what are called sumo springs for the back which I think will keep the tongue weight in check.

We needed to accommodate 3 kids and a dog. I would have looked into an escape but getting one in Florida is not easy.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Ooookay, so with the weight of the WD hitch you probably have 450+ lbs torquing on the receiver. It would be wise to frequently inspect the area around the bolts holding the receiver to the body, so you catch any cracking of the sheet metal before it fatigues and lets the receiver separate from the van. If that happens at highway speed, no telling where that trailer will end up. Potentially in the windshield of oncoming traffic.

I agree with Donna, the point is to get out there and have fun (safely!) with whatever camping equipment works for you. Not trying to be a killjoy doomsday naysayer here, but we have read posts from owners who've experienced metal fatigue like that and they went from "It's fine, everything's been good for quite some time" to "Oh my, I was lucky I caught this in time, I need a better tow vehicle" pretty much overnight.

Another viable option is to find a good welding/fabrication shop that can create a better, more securely fastened, custom hitch receiver. Can-Am RV in Ontario does this all the time and has plenty of happy customers, so I'm sure the basic process can be duplicated. Can-Am also has other recommendations for improved handling and safety, like changing tires (lower sidewalls, higher max pressure/load capacity). You can always look them up on the internet and read about their mods.

I guess part of the equation is how often and how far you intend to go when towing the new trailer. If you're only traveling 40 miles at 50 mph, mods won't be as critical as if you want to take long trips at highway speed.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Alabama
Excellent point. The hitch is rated for 3500 / 350 so we are probably right at the edge.

I might make a simple change and just remove one of the 2 propane tanks from the front as we are never gone more than 2 or three nights anyway and I'll have to figure out how to find out what the tongue weight really is.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Alabama
Just called the local truck stop... They have a scale.

Can someone give me the steps?

I figured weigh the car with no hitch. Then weigh it again with just the camper attached but off the scale and that give me the tongue weight?

Then weigh just the camper for the total actual weight?
Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

Oklahoma
That should work (as long as the scale is accurate at the lower weights involved). Another way to check just the tongue weight is if you have a bathroom scale. It takes some setting up, though. See the photo: Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale In your case you'd probably set the tongue exactly midway between, instead of 3/4 of the way over, because even a 300 lb scale should handle up to 600 lbs of weight that way.

Even so, knowing your total trailer weight is a great thing. Dry advertised weight includes no options, so you might be in for a surprise. Hard to say. And the truck scale will include your WD hitch in the numbers if you do it the way you've described.

A WD hitch does not remove weight from the receiver, it only torques the receiver differently as it distributes some weight to the van's front axle and trailer's axle(s).
Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 AM   #11

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Well, Don, I for one am extremely disappointed in you. Not a single photo of the inside or out of the new camper. Most importantly no discussion of the new name possibilities! I know I could google for pictures, but it wouldn't be the same- sort of like looking at googled pictures of babies versus looking at the pix of the newest infant grandchild. I'll give you a day or three to correct said deficiencies.

Moderators these does give me a question however. Are non folded miberglass trailers allowed to attend our forum rallies? I do have some friends with a pop up and their grandchildren are just getting to that enviable age wherethey would have a blast on short camping trips and said friends have enjoyed very much what I;ve told them about our rallies and they mentioned they like to come along on one of the rallies I may attend near them. I don't think I have ever seen that question raised.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Mitzi, rallies are generally very open and welcoming to all comers. Folks with SOB (some other brand) trailers, or even people with no trailer at all, are welcome. I think there might be an exclusive Casita rally held someplace, I forget for sure, but that's the only one I've ever heard of where they don't want anything else.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #13

Name: rodney
Trailer: in the market
Georgia
Don, did you ever get an actual hitch weight for you geo pro?
roadney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #14

Alabama
I never did and since my wife decided she was done taking kids with us and does not want bunk beds anymore we sold it.

I actually sold it for about 2K less than I paid for it brand new so it held it's value pretty well

I'm crossing my fingers for a new Casita but I guess that is up to the misses.

Now I'm pulling with a 4cyl diesel GMC canyon so weight is no longer an issue.

I would recommend the Geo Pro if you are looking at a stick (well I guess aluminum) built bigger camper.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
We sold our Scamp13 last month, to upgrade to something just a little bigger & with a bath. Specifically wanted a bigger bed, a full bath, and a place to sit & eat while the other was still in bed. A GeoPro 19FD popped up on FB for sale just a few miles from our house and we bought it. It seemed like a good deal, so if we don't like it, it can be sold & we'll look for something else.

No pics yet, we'll go back on Monday to close the deal & bring it home.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All molded towables aren't for everyone for a number of reasons. As far as I'm concerned, it's NOT what you tow... it's that you GO. Go and make a ton of memories with your family. They'll long remember where you went and how much they had, promise

It doesn't matter what the resale is. What matters is the experiences!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp