Catalytic or Buddy portable indoor propane heater for Scamp 13 - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #81

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
1-800-COOLING

When You Need A Company You Can Trust.
We’re Here To Help
Resources Careers Offers Financing Blog Customer Reviews Hvac Glossary I Have Questions... What You Should Know About Energy Efficiency Facts About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Privacy Policy
Resources / Facts About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
FACTS ABOUT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States today.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can happen within a matter of minutes and is responsible for more deaths than any other single poison. This odorless, colorless poison can hurt you slowly in low levels, cause permanent neurological dysfunctions in moderate levels, and take lives in higher levels.

Oil, propane, and natural gas fired heating systems, gas appliances and fireplaces all release carbon monoxide as they burn and can be health and fire hazards.

The Sky Is Falling!

The Sky Is Falling!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:38 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

The Sky Is Falling!

The Sky Is Falling!

Enjoy,

Perry

So, you don't believe that people should be informed of potential hazards? Ignorance is bliss?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #83

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post

You can see and feel and smell fire ... That's one of my main points!!
And that is a very good point. You could have made it better as your post only has two words on this point (odorless and colorless) and does not mention at all how to detect CO and prevent injury and death.

So we know we should use a CO alarm. But what are the requirements for a good one? There is some debate over the effectiveness of most CO alarms which are triggered by a combination of concentration and time. That is to say that the higher the concentration of CO, the shorter time it takes to alarm. And the lower the concentration, the longer it takes. The controversy is about what level of long term exposure is safe. Based on some evidence, some people are of the opinion that levels that are too low to cause a CO alarm to trigger are still unsafe.

Some have suggested a CO alarm which keeps track of the minimal level detected. So I bought two of them. But neither have ever showed anything other than zero, even when I put one in my garage for a few days.

So perhaps a "lab quality" CO detector would be appropriate. But that can get very expensive so the need should be established.

I know I should use a CO alarm.. beyond that I have more questions than answers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #84

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, you don't believe that people should be informed of potential hazards? Ignorance is bliss?
You know my mantra has always been to inform yourself and take responsibility for your actions.

Spreading fear and paranoia is not the same as advocating common sense and education.

Running around with your hair on fire may not give off carbon monoxide, but it does spread a dangerous poison.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #85

Quote:
Yes, I do. However, some just keep it up.

There are those here who want information on using Buddy or catalytic type heaters. That's what this thread is about. The "Sky Is Falling" people, once they've made there point, should start their own thread.

I've read about a number of deaths where an "unvented" heater was the problem. Some people stop thinking at that point. We're not talking "unvented," but are talking "vented." There is a HUGE difference! Some here just don't get it.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 01-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #86

North Carolina
Quote:
I've read about a number of deaths where an "unvented" heater was the problem. ...
I have heard of a number of deaths where an improperly used "unvented heater was the problem. I have never heard of a death where a unvented heater was properly used and was still the problem. Can you point to any of those cases?

Quote:
Some people stop thinking at that point. ...
I would sooner say they stop thinking when they (mis)use an unvented heater. At least in the cases I hear about that seems to be the case.

But still, "vented ~ idiot-proof" or perhaps "vented = idiot resistant"
Old 01-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have heard of a number of deaths where an improperly used "unvented heater was the problem. I have never heard of a death where a unvented heater was properly used and was still the problem. Can you point to any of those cases?
I'm dyslexic (really I am!) and your second to last sentence is confusing to me. An unvented Buddy or Wave would NOT be properly used, because they NEED to be VENTED, not "unvented."

Quote:
I would sooner say they stop thinking when they (mis)use an unvented heater. At least in the cases I hear about that seems to be the case.

But still, "vented ~ idiot-proof" or perhaps "vented = idiot resistant"
Cars are "idiot resistant" too and look where that gets us. Floyd gave other instances where we need to be careful, but still use those other items.

Friends I know of won't use a nail gun, but I accept the risks.

Some here need to beat their negativity down other's throats. OTOH, you understand the risks and I appreciate that.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 01-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #88

North Carolina
Quote:
I'm dyslexic (really I am!) and your second to last sentence is confusing to me. An unvented Buddy or Wave would NOT be properly used, because they NEED to be VENTED, not "unvented."
Vented as part of the design and installation, where air comes into and out of the furnace without entering the living space, using a fan in modern units, and heat is transferred by means of some sort of heat exchanger (Suburban NT-16, etc.) vs. a "unvented" portable heater that burns in the same air and the same space as it heats, and is "vented" only in the sense that sufficient fresh air to support proper combustion is introduced via a window being opened or the like.

Anyway, if someone knows of a case where a Wave or Lil Buddy was properly used and still resulted in death or serious injury, please add that to the discussion.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #89

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Titanium
Alberta
We now carry a Direct Vent Fireplace www.finishedbiz.ca/marketplace
Dickinson Marine Propane Fireplace. Safe!
25% off until Jan. 30
The Little Camper Painter Click image for larger version

Name:	20191226_124750.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	132842
lilcamperpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #90

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
unvented heaters

We have used a Wave 3 for a long time. Take my word for it there is a lot of outside air that comes into a Scamp. As Floyd said take a look around your fridge to see how poorly they are installed. Open your cabinent doors you will see plenty of daylight. Pull your bed and other stuff to see for yourself!

But this doesn't mean not to vent of course! We vent around 1/4in at the top and crack a window. We don't run our vent on full open and we do sleep with it at night.

We set it on the kitchen counter we have camped as low as 15d very cold by the way. We have never had moisture problems we do carry an alarm but it has never went off!

As one poster said some people refuse to use an air nailer sort of like using a unvented heater or not. USE YOUR HEAD silly!

Leaving for a trip to Quartzite shortly and will be using it for 2 or 3 weeks every night as needed.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #91

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=k0wtz;765828

Leaving for a trip to Quartzite shortly and will be using it for 2 or 3 weeks every night as needed. bob[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand what good an air nailer will do you at Quartzite but read , understand and follow all safety instructions
Going to leave now before the posting police decide I am being negative which is another term for not agreeing with them .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #92

Missouri
to steve

I was just illustrating what one person said about air nailers and the fact they wont use them.

As per usual follow instructions and commom sense. If you don't understand convection flows and venting don't run an unvented heater. I haven't tried putting the heater on without venting but I am going to do it and see if the alarm goes off! I am sure there is a lot of outside air getting into my 13f scamper!!

Please don't get alarmed I am not running my Wave 3 without venting!!!!

I will get a p/m shortly about my grammer and spellin! LOL

bob
Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #93

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I was just illustrating what one person said about air nailers and the fact they wont use them.

As per usual follow instructions and commom sense. If you don't understand convection flows and venting don't run an unvented heater. I haven't tried putting the heater on without venting but I am going to do it and see if the alarm goes off! I am sure there is a lot of outside air getting into my 13f scamper!!

Please don't get alarmed I am not running my Wave 3 without venting!!!!

I will get a p/m shortly about my grammer and spellin! LOL

bob
I have expressed my opinion several times in the past on operating an unvented propane heater in a confined space . I weighed the pro’s and con’s and decided that the factory furnace was the best option for us .
Enjoy Quartzite, I hope you have a great time and return home safely !
Old 01-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #94

Missouri
My problem

Steve I don't have enough battery power for a furnace. Boonedocker here!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #95

Quote:
Five posts by nefldiver directly about ventilation and CO, plus numerous posts by those who either don't understand the science or aren't reading our posts about providing adequate ventilation and CO detection qualify as "The Sky Is Falling."

Living in fish house country and reading about those dying in fish houses I've yet to read one where there was adequate ventilation or a working CO detector. Why? Because the science says if there is adequate ventilation or a working CO detector the deaths wouldn't have happened. Period.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #96

NW Wisconsin
I thought this was a forum open to discussion and where one can express their honest sincere opinion

Evidently Not !!!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #97

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I thought this was a forum open to discussion and where one can express their honest sincere opinion

Evidently Not !!!

You just did.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #98

Missouri
to steve and others

steve I read all your posts I may not agree with your opinion at times but I do respect them. It doesn't mean there isn't another way. My system when before lighting the wave is to open a side window and open my top vent it doesn't take a lot vent due to convection!

Convection does the power venting I do have an alarm I keep it current it has never gone off but if I run the gas cook stove and the heater the alarm will go off. I can open the window more and it will not go off!

I boonedock so I don't have enough battery power to run the furnace and the Wave is way more efficient also. I can go on a 2 week trip in our cold weather and still come back with propane.

My suggestion is run your range without any venting watch your alarm go off. Crack your vents and watch it then for a test!

best regards

bob
Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #99

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I read all your posts I may not agree with your opinion at times but I do respect them. It doesn't mean there isn't another way. My system when before lighting the wave is to open a side window and open my top vent it doesn't take a lot vent due to convection!

Convection does the power venting I do have an alarm I keep it current it has never gone off but if I run the gas cook stove and the heater the alarm will go off. I can open the window more and it will not go off!

I boonedock so I don't have enough battery power to run the furnace and the Wave is way more efficient also. I can go on a 2 week trip in our cold weather and still come back with propane.

My suggestion is run your range without any venting watch your alarm go off. Crack your vents and watch it then for a test!

best regards

bob
Thank you ; I always read your posts and respect your opinion.
I own a Mr Buddy heater and will admit it works extremely well
No one should have to live their life by my standards , and I admit I tend to error on the side of safety

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 01-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #100

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
.. I admit I tend to error on the side of safety

That's hardly an error. In fact even if it happened to be an over reaction, it is never an error.

Tags
propane, scamp