Covering your egg...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Covering your egg......

Being new here and unable to search prior posts, I'm wondering what the consensus is on purchasing a cover for your fiberglass camper for the winter. Any particular brand recommended, soft cotton inside and breathable fabric with stretch bottom for tight fit?
Or do we leave it uncovered and wait for spring. Are winter elements more harsh to fiberglass or are the summer elements the cause of aging? Speaking of aging is the floor polish someone else mentioned the way to keep the eggs shiny?
Thanks again everyone for their help
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being new here and unable to search prior posts, I'm wondering what the consensus is on purchasing a cover for your fiberglass camper for the winter. Any particular brand recommended, soft cotton inside and breathable fabric with stretch bottom for tight fit?
Or do we leave it uncovered and wait for spring. Are winter elements more harsh to fiberglass or are the summer elements the cause of aging? Speaking of aging is the floor polish someone else mentioned the way to keep the eggs shiny?
Thanks again everyone for their help
I'll start this one off...
Just this afternoon, I finally got around to ordering a custom fit (not cheap) all weather (not cheap) cover from California Car Cover. I took all measurements 'they' asked for including the size and location of the raised roof area on a Trillium. Cost includes zippered door, 2 gromets at each lower corner and a full elasticized bottom edge and a plastic coated braided wire that loops (and could be padlocked) though the corner gromets that will further secure the cover to the trailer, because our trailer now sits basically in an open, but otherwise secured R/V storage area in our townhouse complex. Cost works out to $70/foot which means $70 X's 10' 3"!! Did I mention this WASN'T cheap?? LOL!!!!

Yes there are a LOT of way cheaper ways to go, including the cover that 'fits' over a horse trailer, hhhmmm, wonder where the zippered door is on that model, LOL??? Oh, don't forget the ever present sheet of poly/tarp too, almost guaranteed to 'leave a mark' especially if left on the trailer for a lengthy winter of wind, rain. sleet and snow....

I guess it all is relevant to the value you place on your trailer, and its appearance and overall condition.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I purchased the cover from CalMarkCovers. If I remember correctly they charged $28/ft. My cover is from Sunbrella fabric which is soft and very durable under extended UV exposure; this fabric is commonly used in marine environment. Cover workmanship is excellent with underbelly straps, elastic bands in corners, reinforcement in critical wear areas, and zipper opening for the door. I am planning to buy one from CalMark for the Cadet trailer.

My cover is for the Bigfoot 21RB. Based on trailer's pictures and a few critical dimensions I drew a sketch with all dimensions. It helped to eliminate possible mistakes for this custom cover. In one phone conversation the cover was ordered and the final product fits perfectly.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
21RB Trailer dimensions.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
What exactly do you mean about poly tarps "leaving a mark". I was planning on using a poly tarp, what damage does it do, thanks.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I bought a cover from a seller in NJ that sells stuff like that......it was around $80 I think and if I remember was intended for a casita 13 (I have a uhaul)...seemed to do okay all winter though it tore a small bit down near the bottom on one side and i doint know why....wasnt anything there to tear it ...maybe ice?........Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I did put a cover on a previous pop-up trailer, it did leave marks on it, and also the cover moving with the wind did some damages on the four corners. I did call

Last weekend I went to visits farmers near where I live, found one that had no cattle anymore. He did remove all his equipment for milking, nice big place with concrete floor, steel and aluminium walls and roof and now renting space for boats, cars & trailers storage, 20.00$ per feet for the winter. I'm bringing it next weekend.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My winter cover is a "Covergiant" it's heavy and it "Breathable" which is very important for long term storage.
My summer cover is a "Tyvek" cover by "Budge Industries" the V-2 fits my 16' perfectly and is very light and tearproof...... My trailer is always covered as it's nice and shiny now and i want it to stay that way.
If you have the money for a really good cover the "sunbrella" product is the best in my opinion
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
What exactly do you mean about poly tarps "leaving a mark". I was planning on using a poly tarp, what damage does it do, thanks.
They rub against your trailer and leave unsightly marks which in a lot of cases are permanent.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being new here and unable to search prior posts...
It's been a while since I was new here so things may have changed, but... do you have to have been a member for a specific amount of time to search posts

A tip you might use: You can use Google's search function to search this forum. Here is the format:

Search terms you choose site:fiberglassrv.com

Here are a few threads I found with this method; they may be helpful to you:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-21668.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-31178.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...egg-40909.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-37344.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-36454.html

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I can only assume that whether or not your trailer is painted or not could have an impact on what you use for covering, other than a semi-permanant device (metal/plastic poled covers) like ones sold at CostCo and the like.

I have had occurance to put a plastic(poly?) tarp over a vintage car we owned. It seemed well enough secured such that there was no evidence of maring due to the fabric shifting due to the elelemts (wind/rain etc.) On removal of the tarp in the spring (we ARE talking about outdoor storage now, aren't we?) I checked the paint and found the 'pattern' of the tarp somehow transfered into the paint on the car. Polishing/buffing would/did not remove the marks in the cars paint. I can therefore assume that placing that similar type of tarp over our 'painted' trailer might garner similar effects. This is an issue I/we are not prepared to have to deal with again, hence the soft cover (of your choice and bought at the dealer of your choice !!!).
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem with covers, is the trailer will need to be absolutely clean when using the cover. Any dirt/dust/twings that get embedded into the inside of the cover will "scrub" the gelcoat/paint when there's even a slight breeze. Doug will understand this, hotrodders are maniacs when it comes to covering a car and would rather the car sit out overnight in the rain rather than put a cover on it and have the paint get scrubbed. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #12

Ohio
Registry
I wonder if this 86" class be van cover would work? Any opinions?

Amazon.com: Conversion Van Cover, Class B RV Cover. Fit Standard Wheelbase, 86" High top van.: Everything Else
Old 09-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We use the Great Outdoors. I am more concerned about the trailer becoming a brood factory for mice.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We use a cover made for a 17' Casita on our 16' UHaul VT which sits outside all year. I think it cost about $75 3 years ago. It is a bit too large, but I snug it down with poly rope and it has worked great for 3 winters in Chicago. This cover has air vents front and back, plus a soft inside cloth covering and a breathable outside. I put it on in late November and remove it in March. Since it allows some breathing, I had a little ice under it last year in a shady spot, but it does a great job protecting the VT from falling sticks, squirrel bombs (all kinds of stuff), and bird droppings. The snow slides off easily, too. A good coat of PolyGlow in the fall keeps it shiny for spring.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
covering your egg

Here is an eBay site that seems to be pretty good. Over 4100 sales on covers for many different campers. Single and triple layer. Although I have an UHaul, they have a triple layer cover for the 13' Scamp that should fit. Zippered door, elastic edges and tie downs. I ordered mine yesterday and hope to have it at the first of the week. Their eBay name is Elitemotoronline. Put in #310255686143 (the one I ordered) and it will take you to their store site.

Marty

Deluxe Scamp 13' travel trailer Camper Cover
(cover will just cover the camper body and it is shorter than 13')
(Available all 13', 16' scamp travel trailer cover. Please check My store)

Features:

• Thick, triple-ply waterproof fabric top keeps out rain and snow while venting inside water vapor and condensation
  • Excellent for indoor and outdoor use especially in high moisture climates area
  • Fabric UV Treated for heat and sun protection and Breathable to avoid mildew and mold
  • Cover protects against rain, snow, UV rays, dirt, nicks and scratches
  • Double Stitched Seams Durability
  • Zippered side panel allows access to the camper door
  • Soft, Abrasion-Resistant polypropylene fabric side panels
  • Elastic hems and grommets with reinforced corners with straps and buckles for a snug fit and security
  • Free Storage Pouch Included
  • Two year warranty
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Marty,
That looks like a nice one, let us know when you receive it if you are pleased with it. That is one I'll put on my list. Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
I was impressed with the super quick delivery. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday. Cover was packed well. Appeared to be hand folded and came with a storage bag. Tie down eyelets appear to be strong. Stitching looked real good. Comes with a lock and cable to help secure the cover in place. Nice breathable fabric with 3 layers on the top. This one slightly smaller than 13', but covers my 13CT UHaul quite well. Double zipper door makes it easy to get into the trailer. If it holds up as well as its first impression gives, I think it will be worth the $150.
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Link to Elitemotoronline's RV covers:
RV cover items - Elitemotoronline on eBay Stores!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #19

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
I was impressed with the super quick delivery. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday. Cover was packed well. Appeared to be hand folded and came with a storage bag. Tie down eyelets appear to be strong. Stitching looked real good. Comes with a lock and cable to help secure the cover in place. Nice breathable fabric with 3 layers on the top. This one slightly smaller than 13', but covers my 13CT UHaul quite well. Double zipper door makes it easy to get into the trailer. If it holds up as well as its first impression gives, I think it will be worth the $150.
I just purchased this same one based on your review for my Uhaul CT13, thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
I just ordered mine- will be here in 2 days....I'll post pictures

Tags
cover, eggcamper