Egg Camper half closet - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #41

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
B & C -

We love Ontario - we are neighbors from Michigan ;-)
'Bill, where did you buy the wire shelving and plastic end tips? How much weight will the shelves support. (I put canned goods in my closet so want to ensure if I replace the wood with metal, they won't buckle.'

All good questions about my shelves...

I bought the wire shelves at Menards - similar to Lowes & Home Depot. The wire shelf is about twice as heavy material as a standard closet unit - so they will hold a lot of weight. I think I used 30" x 24" ? and could easily support 100# - 150# each, if you provide the strong 'hangers'. You should be able to put canned goods in baskets similar to what we used to keep the cans from rattling and gives you easier access to your food. Also, if canned goods are in baskets any chance of 'buckling' shelves is nearly zero, since the weight is distributed over a wide area on each shelf. These wire shelves are designed for garage use so they are very strong - nearly 3/16" diameter as compared to 1/8" for std white closet shelving.

For the plastic tips - you can get different sizes in packages displayed near the white metal closet shelves. Concerning the supports - my experience would say to use a 12mm or 1/2" multi-ply wood strip - very strong, won't split, can paint, quieter, paintable and easier to cut and fasten to. My weakest 'support leg' was red oak 'doorstop' - about 1.5" x 3/8" and it would have been marginal to support a lot of canned goods. Since the shelves were round, I secured them with Delron (or nylon) horseshoe type fasteners that allowed two screws at each support point - much lighter than wooden shelf supports.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Closet Support.jpg   Closet 2.jpg  

Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #42

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Wire shelves 3/16" from Menards (designed for garage)

Thank you Bill. I copied your entire response and made it into a jpg to pass along to my DH. I am working on the principle that if I add weight I need to reduce weight (or in computer terms "garbage in/garbage out).

As I sift through all the wonderful renovations and modifications I found your shelves to be the ones I would most like to have. If I don't get them before we go away, we'll hopefully either bring the drill and a small saw or make it a winter storage project.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper