Escape money well spent? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiano View Post
Not to throw in another wrench here, but my understanding is the Escape is based on the former Trillium.
You are misinformed. Escape is only based on Escape. At one time, Escape built the 13' Trillium for Tom Young, but that collaboration went away several years ago.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure what the meaning of money well spent is to some people,
Different things to different people. There is no question of the quality of the Escape. Value is personal.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm curious, there seems to be a lot of BigFoot owners in Canada where they were manufactured? Did most of the owners purchase new or used. I know they were as expensive as the Escape when new but for used they are a good value. There just are not that many used Escape's in the market, perhaps due to limited production. Also there are probably more Escape's in Canada vs US? I wonder what the demographics are for BF and Escape? Perhaps if there were more Escapes the price would be lower at least in the used department.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
The Egg Camper does not have double insulation, it has an inner and outer shell, 1/8" thick separated by foil on about 60% surface. While contemplating insulated windows in the Nest Egg I was told I'd be wasting my money because of the 3/8' wall thickness has little insulating value. ...
Thank you so much for that info. I've been trying to understand what the Egg Camper could offer with respect to improved insulation/warmth.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
I'm curious, there seems to be a lot of BigFoot owners in Canada where they were manufactured? Did most of the owners purchase new or used. I know they were as expensive as the Escape when new but for used they are a good value. There just are not that many used Escape's in the market, perhaps due to limited production. Also there are probably more Escape's in Canada vs US? I wonder what the demographics are for BF and Escape? Perhaps if there were more Escapes the price would be lower at least in the used department.
I have to tell you. I was in British Columbia this past summer. I thought I'd be seeing a lot of Bigfoots. But instead, I spotted Boilers everywhere we drove.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually, not to single out the Egg Camper, most molded fiberglass campers are not suitable for cold weather. They have thin outer skins with some reflectix or rat fur on the inside and single pane windows. This is why condensation is a big issue here, the outside skin transfers the cold/heat and you have water on the walls. Airstreams are the same with aluminum interior and aluminum studs. Cold and condensation issues exist\.
You need thicker walls, with air space via insulation, interior walls that do not conduct the heat/cold variable. Same for floors and ceiling. Bigfoot did address that as does Escape with the full winter package and double window options. You would still need the spray foam on the Escape floor for winter use. There are other campers, Arctic Fox, Nash, and Lance that are also built for winter use. But Scamps, EggCamper,Casita's, Trilliums, Bolers, Burro's, UHauls,and the host of other FG campers are only spring,summer,fall seasonal comfortable depending on options they may have.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Actually, not to single out the Egg Camper, most molded fiberglass campers are not suitable for cold weather. They have thin outer skins with some reflectix or rat fur on the inside and single pane windows. This is why condensation is a big issue here, the outside skin transfers the cold/heat and you have water on the walls. Airstreams are the same with aluminum interior and aluminum studs. Cold and condensation issues exist\.
You need thicker walls, with air space via insulation, interior walls that do not conduct the heat/cold variable. Same for floors and ceiling. Bigfoot did address that as does Escape with the full winter package and double window options. You would still need the spray foam on the Escape floor for winter use. There are other campers, Arctic Fox, Nash, and Lance that are also built for winter use. But Scamps, EggCamper,Casita's, Trilliums, Bolers, Burro's, UHauls,and the host of other FG campers are only spring,summer,fall seasonal comfortable depending on options they may have.
Wheels... It's in the Wheels.... They provide the Macro climate control! At least enough to bring it within the parameters of the trailer design and it's accessories.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I kind of think in terms of.... "price" and then there is the "cost". The price is what you pay at face value, the cost is what you pay over time. Then customer support, will the company be there for you if you have an issue. Parkliner has not responded to two of my attempts at email. Escape and scamp and casita was there every time.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Escape is quite a bit more expensive and I am wondering is the upgrade worth the cost? ... I'm wondering in this case are we comparing a Chevy (Scamp) to a Cadillac (Escape)

Thanks Steve Dunham
It depends on what the money is worth to you. To some, it is worth it. To some, it is not. Once you see an Escape you will probably have a better idea if it is worth it to you.

I got to see both an Escape 19 and a 5.0 about 3 months ago, and I liked their looks a great deal. Enough to want a 19, yes. Enough to part with my money and order one, not at my current income level. If I start earning lots more, maybe then... but by then, with all that cash in the bank, maybe I'd be looking at motor homes or something! Tigers look nice, "only" $90K or so.

Form vs. function covers a wide spectrum. Pure function would lean toward buying a good but cheap, used stickie trailer. Pure form might call for that one-of-a-kind Geographic trailer that recently sold for, what, 80 grand? There's a lot of wiggle room between the two ends! Have fun shopping, and I'm sure you and your wife will arrive at a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun
Escape to Wisconsin
Those from Wisconsin will recognize the above title as a slogan used for advertising by the State of Wisconsin Department of Tourism. I think that particular ad campaign has now ended, being replaced with the mitten.
Gee Paul, the state that's shaped like a mitten is Michigan; has Wisconsin gone to promoting the Mitten State for tourism? He he! Wisconsin, replaced by the Mitten! Hoo boy! <an old Michigander, ROFL>
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Escape, Bigfoot

Quote:
While there actually may be a lot more (?) "Bigfeet" in Canada than in the US, it may also just be a matter of perception. The one thing I did find was that "Bigfeet" are more highly prized (and priced!) in Canada. I just purchased my 21 footer from a fellow list member during the summer and the value placed on them was such that I paid less than one third of the local "going price" by buying it in the US and "re-importing" it back to Canada. (I had to go all the way to TEXAS to get it!)

My VERY non-scientific observation is that glass eggs seem to be less well known and less prized in the US and therefore do not seem to hold their value as well as they do here.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
My VERY non-scientific observation is that glass eggs seem to be less well known and less prized in the US and therefore do not seem to hold their value as well as they do here.
Dave, I don't think it's unscientific as much as need/preception. We have more molded manufacturers on this side of the border... more competition and a much longer camping "season." The needs of US buyers is different perhaps than Canadian buyers. Four season trailers don't seem to be as important on this side of the border...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #32

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dave, I don't think it's unscientific as much as need/preception. We have more molded manufacturers on this side of the border... more competition and a much longer camping "season." The needs of US buyers is different perhaps than Canadian buyers. Four season trailers don't seem to be as important on this side of the border...

I'll disagree with both of you.

Anyone living in a rain area or traveling in those conditions would do well to consider molded trailers.
Many parks are open year round across Canada, then there are all the snowbirds that plan to get as much use as possible out of their units.

Most stick units when it comes to comfort and convenience are right up there. I think the maintenance may be higher though.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Recently my wife was making one of her rare visits to this website and discovered the Escape trailer . She was really impressed with the 19 ft. Escape after visiting their website. We have a 16 ft Scamp and we like it but she would like a little more room and a full size bed. The Escape is quite a bit more expensive and I am wondering is the upgrade worth the cost? We are going on a first time trip to the western US next year and if it's worth the time and money we may drive to the Escape factory in Canada and visit. When I bought the scamp my wife was aprehensive ( she thought I was going thru my midlife crisis) now she's not!
I'm wondering in this case are we comparing a Chevy (Scamp) to a Cadillac (Escape)

Thanks Steve Dunham

Hi Steve.
To a U.S. buyer Escape isn't as competitive as it was several years ago when there was a more favorable exchange rate. The Escape we looked at was quite nice but after reading all the favorable comments on the forum I was a bit disappointed. I guess I expected a more upscale interior when of course they use the same materials as every one else. The appliances are the same. The door handles, lights ,axles, ect. are the same. While the fit and finish was very good I recently saw a new 16 ft Scamp that was equally good.

Things seem to cost more in Canada and I suspect a large part of the higher price is taxes. Also, when a U.S. customer pays for a trailer, it costs an additional 3-5% in bank fees over the published exchange rate on the day the bank actually does the exchange. I have heard it can take as long as two weeks for your payment to be received and there is no way to know how much of your money will actually go to paying for the trailer until it gets posted in their account.

Finally you must pay your state sales tax based on the purchase price. Since the Escape costs more the tax will be higher.

With these considerations in mind, only two of the Escape products have direct competition by U.S. manufacturers, the 17 ft with Casita and the fifth wheel with Scamp. In both cases the Escape could cost a U.S. buyer a 30%-40% premium.

Since money is what you receive from your employer in exchange for hours of your life, only you can decide if it's worth it. Good luck and happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You are misinformed. Escape is only based on Escape. At one time, Escape built the 13' Trillium for Tom Young, but that collaboration went away several years ago.
I too thought Escape was based on Trillium. Please elaborate.
Attached Thumbnails
nixontrillium3 1979.jpg   trillium 1300.jpg  

escape 13.JPG   escape 19.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #35

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Fiberglass body construction entered the U.S. scene in 1971 with the introduction of the first U.S.-produced mini travel trailer, called the Playpac. The Playpac, invented by Steven Whysel, was the answer to the needs of the growing horde of VW "Bug" and other small-car owners who wanted a hard-shelled camper, light enough to be pulled by a small car, with a private water closet, shower and the ability to sleep six. Its ultramodern aerodynamic styling and domed skylight by the modernist Industrial Designer Toshihiko Sakow made it an instant hit. It was short-lived, however (1971–1973), as the first Arab oil embargo and the ensuing major slow-down of RV sales caused it to cease operations. The Boler travel trailer, produced earlier in Canada, soon joined the Playpac in the U.S. fiberglass light-weight class. The Hunter and Amerigo travel trailers were also on the scene by then.

Scamp & Boler were the first 1971-1972
Duane Eveland, Gerald Eveland, and Gladys Coffland of Eveland’s Inc. began building Scamp trailers in 1972, based on the Boler fiberglass molds. Over the years, market factors went up and down, but the little trailer persisted, becoming a favourite among a dedicated group of enthusiastic RV travelers. Today, with Kent Eveland at the helm of the company, there has been a renaissance of the line, and three models are being manufactured to order with 13’ and 16’ travel trailers, plus a 19’ fifth wheel model. After 36 years, the Scamp trailers remain among the most aerodynamic, lightweight, and durable compact trailers on the market.

Casita 1983

Escape 2002

To say any trailer is based on another is far to much of a generalization, they all have there own strengths, price, fit, quality, level of composition material.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just an FYI, there's no way to get into a brand new 19' Airstream for $30K ... try more like $60K. Plus an Escape 19' has a queen size bed, not a 44 inch wide bed.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Just an FYI, there's no way to get into a brand new 19' Airstream for $30K ... try more like $60K. Plus an Escape 19' has a queen size bed, not a 44 inch wide bed.
It's been a while, but I looked at a brand new CCD 16Bambi in 2003. List price was $42,800 we had them down to $27,500 before we bought the Scamp... on which, by the way, we could not negotiate the price!
It's probably the only thing of any size for which I have ever paid even close to full price, if you don't count their package discounts!

That Airstream was a custom made CCD model which was designed by some famous architect named Christopher Deam. A nice trailer by any standard, with a fullsized bed BTW. Only problem was, it required a vehicle which was larger than we could tolerate for everyday use, thus the Scamp 13D. So... what does an Escape 19' really weigh? What is the most common TV?

At a list price of $54,000 for a new 19 International Bambi, you just might get it for the low to mid 30's with this economy, But you would probably like the Escape better.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
On the Escape forum, among the favored TVs for the Escape 19' are the Toyota 4Runner and Toyota Tacoma, also the Honda Pilot is used. The Escape 17' is often towed with a Toyota RAV4. I just happen to have a Toyota 4Runner to tow mine. And for me it was money well spend on a high quality product; I just love my Escape 17'. At very first I looked at stickies such as the T@B, and then ran across this forum and discovered molded fiberglass. Looked first into Scamp and Casita and found that Escape was just right for me. Love the quality and design, and the fact that you can have it customized to your liking, such as your own fabrics and many more things!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
After more research, I found a 19' Bambi has a 48 inch wide bed and a MSRP of about $57K. I doubt seriously they are discounting them $20K off.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
yes Bigfoots where/are manfactured in Canada - in BC.

Having just finished a 4500 mile trip today through 5 Western US states I can tell you I saw more Escapes on the road than any other brand of fiberglass trailer and most of them had US plates on them - although I did meet a Candian Escape owner along the road. A number of Escapes were boom docking in Southern California & Arizona. Funny enough I noted the same thing on another long trip through the US during the summer. Beginning to think there are just as many US Escape owners as Canadian, if not more.

One of the reasons you dont see many used on the market is due to the limited production and the fact they have not been making them that long. This past year though saw a number of 17' came on the market used as many of the 17' owners moved up to the new 19'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape