Egg insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about insuring a new Casita? Through your regular auto policy, or a specific RV insurance company? Any ideas are appreciated.
L Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
I called my auto agent and he looked after it all. Somewhere about 120 Canuck Bucks for full coverage for the year with a 250 deductable.

It does have some minor payback for towing charges, but I have road service through CAA (AAA) for that sort of thing. I think Sam's Club also has road service packages.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
my insurance is threw gmac insurance i get a real nice discount for being a good sam member it was such a great deal for me i gave them my car and both trailers...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I simply went through my auto insurance company. It cost me an extra $50/year.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Your auto carrier is probably going to be the cheapest for things like theft fire etc. For a pitance no less. (Mine is 26 or 27 bones.. I forgot)

You SHOULD be insured for liability when towing under your auto policy umbrella at no extra charge.

Your homeowners will probably cover these thingsa when it is park in your driveway. You should check with your agent.

I have Good Sam for towing etc, simply because it covers more than AAA, and it blankets my car as well.

There are WAY too many services they give with the standard coverage, you should look at thier site.

I like the one that gets my Pups to safety or even HOME if I cannot while on the road.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
What about insurance on the stuff in your trailer? (I'm going to some music festivals and my old instruments are worth more than the car and trailer combined.)

Any ideas?
Thansk, Bruce Johnson
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
I have mine insured with my auto insurance. As luck would have it, I just happened to be paying the premium today, so I've listed the details below. Granted, this is based on the value of a nearly 20-year old trailer, so a new trailer will be more, but this should give you an idea.

Comprehensive coverage, $100 deductible = $15/yr
Collision coverage, $100 deductible = $13/yr
Total = $28/yr

Obviously, if you're buying a new trailer, $28 per year for insurance certainly won't break the proverbial bank.

However, there are a couple of things to note. The coverage on my truck does cover the camper for collision only, as long as it is hitched to it. I assumed that my homeowners coverage would cover the camper when parked in the driveway, but mine does not. Bottom line: call your insurance agent for specifics.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
What about insurance on the stuff in your trailer? (I'm going to some music festivals and my old instruments are worth more than the car and trailer combined.)

Any ideas?
Thansk, Bruce Johnson

Hi, Bruce

You may need to ask your insurance agent about Cargo Insurance. While my delivery van is insured, I had to buy extra insurance for the contents I had delivered to clients. I think I carried around $20,000 at a cost of $120 per year. I can look it up, if you need. My auto insurer had to get another underwriter for the policy, too. This may be your ticket to getting those instruments covered. Good Luck!

Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
My auto insurance covers while hitched to my vehicle at no extra charge, I have also had it noted that I tow in my policy ever since I bought my first hitch and utility trailer. My home owners covers $1000 for all utility trailers in my yard (I have 1 and never mentioned it for home owners, was surprised to see it in the policy) and I have extra insurance for $5000 to cover the Scamp anywhere with the contents covered by my existing home owners insurance as items temporarily displaced from home. Funny thing is, the CB in the vehicles is now covered under this portion a few years back when my auto informed me CB and non factory radios were no longer covered. I think it was $50/year for the extra coverage, will have to see in November what my vehicle insurance does after 2 no fault claims - one rear ender and one comprehensive this year. They told me it would not increase my rates, but I am sure I will lose a discount which they insist is still not an increase.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper