FiberglassRV "Egg Train" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I just read John Soba's grateful post regarding the without charge "consultancy" of FGRV members checking out a an egg out of his area and subsequently providing him the ability to make a "buy decision".

I would like to suggest what is already in effect on the "Scotty's Forum" -- They have a "train" of members who are willing to take a segment of a trip from point A to point B to transport a new trailer purchase from the seller to the new owner.

Members state their needs -- other members determine their ability to "fill in the gaps" by volunteering to transport the newly purchased trailer for a portion of the trip. This is done as a "service" without compensation.

I, for one, would be willing to cover the transportation of a member's new trailer from either the Montana or Wyoming, Utah or Nevada border through Idaho to the Oregon border or the eastern Washington border as a service or vice versa. Or from Idaho through Montana to the Canadian border, or from Boise through the Idaho Panhandle to Canada. Is anyone else game to be a part of "the egg train?"
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What an interesting idea?

While I would be eager to help in any way I can,another member here I can not imagine buying one of these sight unseen and accepting delivery for it that way too.

I looked at one local here for another member a few weeks ago and it was amazing how much the description differed from reality.

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder?

I had an experience a few years ago where I committed and sent a deposit to Texas for an older Casita with the plan of going down for it a week later. I had received pictures and spoken to the owner several times asking specific questions repeatedly attempting to discern the "true" condition of the trailer.

Well guess what happened?!?

I drove for 16 hours down to an isolated rural area to find the worst misrepresentation of a vehicle I had ever seen.
There was a Camping world less than 1 mile from her house and I didn't think the trailer would make it that far! The frame was broken and the front of the trailer was not connected to the frame anywhere!

The worst part was that the owner seemed to not understand why I was upset. I don't know if it was an act(ithink it was though) and if she was just a liar or if she just really did not understand how nasty this Casita was.

I got my deposit check back,turned around and headed for home.

I also just sold a trailer this week. I tried to talk honestly and openly in boring detail about the condition of the Trill, but to me she is/was my baby so my image of her may be skewed.
I declined some offers to buy her sight unseen and instead had a good experience with Pat & Dale and a mystery guest(Feline) who assisted in the evaluation. It was pouring down cold rain and the trailer was mired in a muddy Polo Field so it merited a second look in the morning when drier and brighter outside.
In the end I felt that the Baxters were confident with the condition and roadworth of the egg and they left satisfied even when the lights had a snag upon hook-up.

The point I am making here is that buying one of these without seeing,touching,smelling them can lead to a real disppointment and I am sure pleasent surprise too. I for one have had the former and would not consider trying one without being there in person.

As they say....One mans trash may be another mans treasure. I hope not be the one who gets the trash.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Unhappy

Hi Ed-
There was NO misrepresentation on the trailer and you bent over backwards to let us know all of Eloquent's faults! With our Casita there were things left unsaid.......and discovered the hard way.

As to transporting someone else's rig, I do animal transport on a similar volunteer basis, and we have to be careful about the liability involved if the animals happen to get ill or loose during the transport. Even with appropriate paperwork all in place and sturdy crates, we take a risk of lawsuits, etc. whenever we do a transport.

Some questions I would want covered before participating in a trailer transport-
What sort of paperwork will you have to show proper posession of this rig if you are stopped for any reason? What about license plates?
Who's insurance is going to cover repairs if the should be an accident or breakdown along the way?
What happens if your tow vehicle breaks down?
What if the new owner decides that the trailer is NOT what was described- are you responsible for the return trip too?

Don't take me wrong- it sounds like it could be fun to do the transports and a great way to get to know more about all of the eggs available out there. I love being with all the animals I transport knowing that they are on their way to safe homes & rescue shelters. I just would be concerned about the liability involved.

Grama Pat
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper