repairing Surfside windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Surfside
Thumbs up

Does anyone have experience repairing louver type windows?Just bought a 13ft surfside.The windows don't close. The part attached to the cranking mechanism needs to be replaced. Must I remove the windows in order to install the mechanism or is there a simpler way?The only mechanism that I can find, that is close in size,has a sleeve that the turning rod fits into that is about 1/4 inch too short.One suggestion,by a friend,is to cut the rod, insert a smaller piece inside both rods to achieve the required length to make up for the shorter sleeve,and then pop rivite the rod together where it is extended. This wouild eliminate taking the window out, dismantling the window, taking the one side of the window apart and re- installing the window.Do you think that this would work? I wonder if it would still look o.k.,not sure what to do.

Eileen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Elieen,

Here is a thread I found on the forum about fixing a jalousie window.

Crank Repair

Did you buy the trailer from southwest rv? Saw one there and one in Port Alberni that is still for sale.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Eileen,

While looking for tips on pulling/sealing a window in our trailer I found this thread where a member pulled all the windows in their surfside and replace the cranks while he was at it. May help you:

Surfside Window Frames
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Eileen...

I've done this job on my '79 Surfside and I'll be doing the same on the '78 Surfside that I just bought. Follow this link http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...amp;pageNum=183 and the crank your after is number 41068. I got my local rv dealer to order it for me, only cost around $6 I think. I went with the splice way..cutting the tube and then using a small tube inside and drilling holes through both tubes and using a cotter pin in each hole. I have Pics of this but I can't find my jump drive at the moment but I'll send them once I do.

Kent
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Elieen,

Here is a thread I found on the forum about fixing a jalousie window.

Crank Repair

Did you buy the trailer from southwest rv? Saw one there and one in Port Alberni that is still for sale.
Hi Booker,Thanks for the info., much appreciated. I bought my surfside from one of the girls at work, although I did have it at Westcoast Motors in Lantzville, looking for window parts. They ordered the crank mechanism for me. Just got them today, I think that they will work.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Eileen...

I've done this job on my '79 Surfside and I'll be doing the same on the '78 Surfside that I just bought. Follow this link http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...amp;pageNum=183 and the crank your after is number 41068. I got my local rv dealer to order it for me, only cost around $6 I think. I went with the splice way..cutting the tube and then using a small tube inside and drilling holes through both tubes and using a cotter pin in each hole. I have Pics of this but I can't find my jump drive at the moment but I'll send them once I do.

Kent
Hi Kent, Thank you for the parts catolog site and sharing how you did your repairs, very helpful. I am getting some good feedback for ideas.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Quote:
Hi Kent, Thank you for the parts catolog site and sharing how you did your repairs, very helpful. I am getting some good feedback for ideas.
Here are the pics of what I did.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1508.JPG   IMG_1509.JPG  

kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
this is a next year project for me my widows are in bad shape anyone know of what to replace them with? i was thinking sliders but i am not sure they would be able to be installed without major modification
or is this a labor of love of restoring these the originals

GuyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside, windows