Eggcamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Sharon;
I too welcome them back, they have always made a very fine product which set a high standard for quality.
How about "THE EGG" camper? It is well made, has fiberglass interior walls, and can still be towed with a minivan.

Floyd, I really like the Eggcamper's easily cleaned interior. I have looked at it long and hard. The only thing that I can't live without is a big window in the rear. With the vertically-sealed hull, I doubt adding a window back there is an option.

If I am wrong, I would sure like to know!

....edited to add.... I just wrote Eggcamper and asked if I could get a rear opening window as an option.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, I really like the Eggcamper's easily cleaned interior. I have looked at it long and hard. The only thing that I can't live without is a big window in the rear. With the vertically-sealed hull, I doubt adding a window back there is an option.

....edited to add.... I just wrote Eggcamper and asked if I could get a rear opening window as an option.
It can't hurt to ask . How about two windows... One on either side of the seam?
It might even mitigate the "posterior" appearance of the Eggcamper's posterior! [lol]

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #3

Quote:
It can't hurt to ask . How about two windows... One on either side of the seam?
It might even mitigate the "posterior" appearance of the Eggcamper's posterior! [lol]
Two windows would work.... and it definitely would improve the appearance.

Bruce H, sorry you ended up regretting selling your Bigfoot, but glad you are thinking about getting another one. I do feel a twinge of envy. Just a little one!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

Burro and U-Haul both have vertical seams... and double-hull. They both have rear windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Burro_13_curb_2.jpg   01_U_Haul.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Burro and U-Haul both have vertical seams... and double-hull. They both have rear windows.
Donna;
although you are correct about the Burro and the U-haul , they made arrangements in the mold process [flanges] to accomodate the front and rear windows.
I think that Eggcamper may have no such provisions available, thus the idea of simply cutting in two windows and avoiding the seam altogether ala play-mor.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

Donna, I hadn't thought about Burro and U-Haul having vertical seams and large rear windows.

So it CAN be done! I am so glad! I also love the wider body.

I am wondering how Eggcamper is doing financially. I don't read about any people buying new ones here. I do hope they don't shut down production.

Quote:
As far as the Egg goes, seeing the lack of a back window when I was entering, caused me to immediatelhy turned around and go out. My only other memory was that I thought it was awfully bland inside.
If I could get a back window, the "blank slate" really appeals to me because I could do anything I wanted to with it, rather than just accept the factory interiors of the other manufacturers.

Here's an example. This is a customer's image on the Eggcamper site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eggcamper.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	21428

What I do worry about is fit and finish. The website is not professionally done, and the photos they show are not staged or appointed well. I worry that lack of detail might carry through to construction techniques. Another problem is the cabinet doors. They look like they are just cut out of plywood. Also one of the photos shows the closet door opening from the right. That would be very awkward to use, and is a warning to me of lack of attention to detail.

The plywood doors themselves wouldn't be a deal killer to me if I was sure the bodies were built with careful attention to detail. I could always change the doors out.

I would love to hear from Eggcamper owners how they feel about the quality of their units.

....edited to add.... Moderators, maybe this Eggcamper post should be split off from the Bigfoot heading so that more Eggcamper owners would see it?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Donna, I hadn't thought about Burro and U-Haul having vertical seams and large rear windows.

So it CAN be done! I am so glad! I also love the wider body.

I am wondering how Eggcamper is doing financially. I don't read about any people buying new ones here. I do hope they don't shut down production.

If I could get a back window, the "blank slate" really appeals to me because I could do anything I wanted to with it, rather than just accept the factory interiors of the other manufacturers.

Here's an example. This is a customer's image on the Eggcamper site.

Attachment 21428

What I do worry about is fit and finish. The website is not professionally done, and the photos they show are not staged or appointed well. I worry that lack of detail might carry through to construction techniques. Another problem is the cabinet doors. They look like they are just cut out of plywood. Also one of the photos shows the closet door opening from the right. That would be very awkward to use, and is a warning to me of lack of attention to detail.

The plywood doors themselves wouldn't be a deal killer to me if I was sure the bodies were built with careful attention to detail. I could always change the doors out.

I would love to hear from Eggcamper owners how they feel about the quality of their units.

....edited to add.... Moderators, maybe this Eggcamper post should be split off from the Bigfoot heading so that more Eggcamper owners would see it?
I have had the experience of close examination of an Eggcamper the fit and finish is enviable!
I understand that the company is a single proprietor and that they are selling all that they can produce.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
I have had the experience of close examination of an Eggcamper the fit and finish is enviable!
I understand that the company is a single proprietor and that they are selling all that they can produce.
Floyd, thank you!!! That is what I was hoping to hear!

I want to pay off my Aliner first so that I will have mostly cash when I buy the new trailer.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Sharron, I have been in Orlen (member here) and Carolynn Wolf's eggcamper. It's very nice and amazing how much wider than the Casita. I love our big window in the Casita, but honestly I didn't notice it missing in the Eggcamper. It's so much bigger that not having a window wouldn't be an issue for me. You might find like me that the window is not a biggie. And there seem to be plenty other windows in the Eggcamper that you don't notice it not there. Hope fully Orlen can send you a pic of theirs and help you out as well. He also has a pic of their Eggcamper and our Casita parked next to eachother. It really shows the size difference. Hopefully he can post it. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #10

Thank you, Robin.

I would love to see more pictures.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Sharon,

We own an EggCamper, and we have never missed the rear window (normally we have the blinds closed on the other windows). About the only thing we do in the camper is sleep, shower. and change. We have 2 dogs and the gelcoat interior makes clean-up quick and easy.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Back when they first came out I saw a new one in a small dealership down the street from us and went to check it out and wrote up a report on this forum of what I saw. I just did a short search for it but found nothing but I'm sure its still here somewhere. As I remember I too also liked the interior for its possibilities and the inside seemed humongous with the extra 6" width. As I remember the biggest thing that bothered me was the padding, first as it was vinyl covered, and very thin, definitely would need better sleeping arrangement. They may have changed some since then. I have seen a few out camping, the latest in a small campground in Holland Michigan 3rd weekend in June this year
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Back when they first came out I saw a new one in a small dealership down the street from us and went to check it out and wrote up a report on this forum of what I saw. I just did a short search for it but found nothing but I'm sure its still here somewhere.
This one Bill? Questions about an EggCamper
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #14

Art, so far it seems that Eggcamper owners are 100% pleased with their choice. Thanks.

Bill, your article was very informative. Thanks for retrieving it, Donna.

I had already decided that if I get one, the original cushions will be tossed and I would replace them with 4" cushions and a real mattress. I would also want a propane system and a larger refrigerator.

Anyway, I have lots of time to make a decision... at least a year or so. I still love the Escape, but Chilliwack is a long way from Georgia! Michigan is doable.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
im sure you already know, but just in case... there are a few more eggcamper photos to look at in the album section of the forum here. Take care.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sharon,

Jim Palmer is the owner of the company that produces the EggCamper. When he was first considering producing a new Burro-like trailer, we had some lengthy and informative conversations. I was impressed both with his depth of knowledge on producing things fiberglass and his business acumen. He does the trailers mostly for his own enjoyment as his other businesses are his profit center.

I have not heard anything disparaging at all about the trailers; everyone who has seen them or bought them has had really good things to say about them. All of the current brands produce good products today, but were I in the market again for a 17' trailer, the EggCamper would be at the top of my short list. I'd have the propane systems etc. in mine as I don't find the all-electric terribly appealing for the camping I do... but having once had a Burro 17' widebody, I find the EggCamper very appealing. There's nothing else out there with the bed size that they have.

As far as the rear windows in the EggCamper, you'd have to speak with Jim to find out if it's even possible. It may be, but I'm relatively sure you'd have to block the window frame between the inner and outer shells since it wasn't designed to accept windows there.

Roger

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Greetings all: my wife and I have a NOS 2006 EggCamper (NOS because it was a demonstrator and essentially virgin when we got it)

1) The plywood doors mentioned vary as to model. Ours have an oak veneer with up-&-down grain on a 1" substrate and we like 'em
2) The front by-the-door closet does open to the left or interior which may or may not be problematic- when you are in the trailer and using it, it may appear backwards; when you are loading the trailer from the outside it is very convenient....which is the bigger nuisance? If one wished to swap, the door can be flipped head-for-tail and re-attached.
3) The stock cushions are indeed on the thin side but for my wife even these make her feel like Lilly Tomlin in the big chair, because of the height of the fiberglass benches. If you look at the factory pix, one has a futon cushion in the back which would slide forward for a bed.
4) Ours has an ac that is however only 4" off the floor and was problematic-we now use a small fan on the floor to re-direct cool air upward
4) Overall we love this egg camper- it is very light-weight, tows like a dream, gets rave reviews every where we take it

PS: The other fiberglass owners are in a quandary because of all the space in ours- during one show-and-tell we had six (6) folks inside comfortably seated and visiting with room to spare. Try that in your typical fiberglass! John & Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #18

Ken, no, I didn't realize that there was a photo album.... am off to check it out as soon as I finish this post!

Roger, the wider size really appeals to me. And I sure do appreciate your evaluation. I do have an email in to Jim asking about the window. But since I told him I'm interested in buying at least a year from now, I don't expect him to drop everything and answer right away!

Vi, I appreciate your comments about the doors and about the height of the seats.... also the note on using a fan with the air conditioner. I am 5'5" and my husband is 5'4", so that may be the only real problem with the Eggcamper for us. We would be pretty uncomfortable with our legs dangling. I have 5-1/2" mattresses in our Aliner now, and it does not make for comfortable lounging, as our feet don't reach the floor.

I REALLY appreciate all of your input. Can't wait to be a real egg-owning member of this community some day!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
Ken, no, I didn't realize that there was a photo album.... am off to check it out as soon as I finish this post!

Roger, the wider size really appeals to me. And I sure do appreciate your evaluation. I do have an email in to Jim asking about the window. But since I told him I'm interested in buying at least a year from now, I don't expect him to drop everything and answer right away!

Vi, I appreciate your comments about the doors and about the height of the seats.... also the note on using a fan with the air conditioner. I am 5'5" and my husband is 5'4", so that may be the only real problem with the Eggcamper for us. We would be pretty uncomfortable with our legs dangling. I have 5-1/2" mattresses in our Aliner now, and it does not make for comfortable lounging, as our feet don't reach the floor.

I REALLY appreciate all of your input. Can't wait to be a real egg-owning member of this community some day!
Sharon, We live in Georgia, too. We will probably see you one of these times. We go to the Townsend, Tn. Meet. as well as the Casita Meet in Rutherfordton, NC. We are always glad to show off the EggCamper. It has an unbelievable amount of space. My husband says that there is more space inside than it looks outside. I, too, am 5'4" but at the table, there is a raised area which is really comfortable for me. If you did not want your feet dangling, I suppose you could use a small stepstool. The only thing we would wish was larger is the fridge, but by using a cooler, we manage very well! Ease of cleaning, openess, full bathroom, and only 2000# dry weight make this Egg a real winner! Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
vi, for your bathroom/shower, do you just use a curtain as shown at the eggcamper website? i didn't know if a conventional door was offered or not. Also, I have never seen under the eggcamper but if you look under your trailer are their holding tanks mounted under (or inside the seating area) , and is it a smooth bottom like a casita? OR is there a wood bottom like a scamp? Thanks in advance. I have always wondered.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper