Does this floorplan exist in a 15 ft egg? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Ron, that would be great if there is an EggCamper in Florida. I do want to get to the next Rally here which I think is held in Sebring around Feb or so. I'm going to look at the schedule on this group.
How does Jim keep his 17 ft so light when e'body else's is much heavier? Does being all electric accomplish that in itself or are there other weight saving methods he uses? Have you weighed yours ready to camp? Any idea how wide the rear bed is?
Living in Florida most of our camping is in flatter territory but my folks just moved to Wyoming so we are beyond excited to be spending summers traveling in that neck of the woods to Yellowstone and all the fabulous sites out that way. I just dont want to strain the Sienna (3.5 V6) in the mountains etc.

Thanks for this info,

Melissa

Quote:
Hi Melissa,

I tow an EggCamper 17ft. that weighs in at about 2000# dry. It has a side dinette that would work as a short bed. It has a shower and double bed and ample head room. I tow with a 2002 Toyota Sienna (3.0 V6). I think there's one in Florida somewhere. If you get in touch with Jim Palmer out at the EggCamper factory, I'm sure he could put you in touch with the owner so that you can see one in person.

Ron
Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #22

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Hi Melissa,

My wife and I are going to be at the Sebring meet in February (2/8-2/13), together with Darald and Pat (also EggCamper owners). So, if you don't see one before then, you're welcome to tour ours.

I think that Jim has really worked hard at eliminating weight without sacrificing function. I suspect that a lot of eggs use particle board for cabinetry, and things like roof-top A/C that adds pounds. The EggCamper A/C is a standard "window-type" unit that probably tips the scale at 50# instead of a heavier roof-top. The frig is 12V only, so I suspect it weighs less than a 3-way. It all adds up. I haven't weighed our camper loaded for a week of camping, but I doubt that we add 400 pounds of clothing and food.

Ours is the electric version, but we do bring along a propane stove that we used for cooking outside.

I admit that I haven't taken it over really big mountains, but here in New Hampshire we have many small mountains and I haven't had any problems hauling it up hill.

The double bed is quite wide (tall). I think I put the measurements out on the forum a while back. I'll have to go look for them. I haven't ever measured the side dinette made up as a bed. I've never made it into a bed.

Ron

Quote:
Hi Ron, that would be great if there is an EggCamper in Florida. I do want to get to the next Rally here which I think is held in Sebring around Feb or so. I'm going to look at the schedule on this group.
How does Jim keep his 17 ft so light when e'body else's is much heavier? Does being all electric accomplish that in itself or are there other weight saving methods he uses? Have you weighed yours ready to camp? Any idea how wide the rear bed is?
Living in Florida most of our camping is in flatter territory but my folks just moved to Wyoming so we are beyond excited to be spending summers traveling in that neck of the woods to Yellowstone and all the fabulous sites out that way. I just dont want to strain the Sienna (3.5 V6) in the mountains etc.

Thanks for this info,

Melissa
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #23

Registry
Melissa,

Here's an excerpt from a previous post:

The overall length is 17 ft. tip of tongue to rear bumper. Excluding the dogleg to the door, the main (open) floor space is 40 1/2 in. x 73 1/2 in. Toilet/shower is approximately 38 in. x 30 in. Our's is a permanent bed, which measures approximately 50 in. x 86 in. Headroom is 79 in. The Fridge is Norcold model DC0040, and the label says it draws 2.5 A at 12V. It is small, and has an aluminum cooling unit at the top that holds a ice cube trays, but I wouldn't exactly call it a freezer.

Ron
Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #24

Thanks! It definately is going on my list to investigate. Where is the Rally in Feb? I couldnt find it on this site. Do you have reservation info? I'll be bringing my Popup if that's ok.

Thanks!

Melissa

Quote:
Melissa,

Here's an excerpt from a previous post:

The overall length is 17 ft. tip of tongue to rear bumper. Excluding the dogleg to the door, the main (open) floor space is 40 1/2 in. x 73 1/2 in. Toilet/shower is approximately 38 in. x 30 in. Our's is a permanent bed, which measures approximately 50 in. x 86 in. Headroom is 79 in. The Fridge is Norcold model DC0040, and the label says it draws 2.5 A at 12V. It is small, and has an aluminum cooling unit at the top that holds a ice cube trays, but I wouldn't exactly call it a freezer.

Ron
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks! It definately is going on my list to investigate. Where is the Rally in Feb? I couldnt find it on this site. Do you have reservation info? I'll be bringing my Popup if that's ok.

Thanks!

Melissa
From the SOI website:
"ScampCamp 2010
- February 9 (Tuesday) to 13 (Saturday), 2010. Plan to join us early by calling exactly 11 months to the day to make your reservation. Call 800-326-3521 to make reservations, then email or call Alice Vernezze, the host, to report your information. The sooner you do this the easier my job is. Even if you have to cancel you won’t lose all your money - the park withholds only one day’s fee. Alice’s email is: ezzeal[at]bellsouth.net, Phone number are: 321-773-2676 (home) or 321-501-3181 (cell), and address is: 610 N. Robin Way, Satellite Beach , FL 32937. We travel during the summer, so the cell phone works then. If you have a GPS system, Highlands Hammock State Park is located at 5931 Hammock Rd, Sebring , FL 33872. Come join us for a great experience."
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
My inside height is 5'10" .... I don't walk around much insidel....... sitting, sleeping or outside.... LOL

Joe
Yes, I don't walk around much in mine either. But when cooking, washing the dishes, washing myself, getting dressed, combing my hair, and etc. it's really nice to stand up straight.

If Melissa's husband doesn't spend much time standing inside (cooking, etc.) then the reduced height probably won't bother him much either. For me, I don't know which is worse -- trying to wash myself or wash the dishes while ducked down under a too-low ceiling -- either one is an annoyance that becomes a back ache.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #27

Registry
Hi Joe,

I set up the height of hitch for a tongue weight of 250#, which is what the manufacturer recommended, and the trailer sits pretty level at that height. I don't use a weight distribution hitch or sway bar. It tows very nicely at highway speeds.

Ron

Quote:
My inside height is 5'10" which i am short enough to fit under but i did bring a few friends in there that are about 6'2" and they said it didn't bother them at all..... I thought for sure they would say this is annoying but for the light weight and all the amenities inside they said they would have no problem.... I don't walk around much inside. It's too small....... sitting, sleeping or outside.... LOL
Scamp 16' are supposed to be taller inside and may even be a little lighter..... maybe someone on this forum could chime in on that?
Also what ron says about the "EggCamper" I didn't realise they are that light for a 17' wonder what the tongue weight is on them?
Joe
Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Joe,

I set up the height of hitch for a tongue weight of 250#, which is what the manufacturer recommended, and the trailer sits pretty level at that height. I don't use a weight distribution hitch or sway bar. It tows very nicely at highway speeds.

Ron
250# tongue weight on a 17' is fantastic along with your approx. 2000#overall weight. However you did it.....Nice ?Going
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #29

Registry
Joe,

I just took Jim Palmer's recomendation for tongue weight. Jim sent me the tongue height, and then I loaded 250# on the tail end of my van and had the hitch ball set to the height that Jim sent me. I haven't actually weighed the tongue, but I suspect that it's pretty close based on the way the trailer rides and tows.

Ron

Quote:
250# tongue weight on a 17' is fantastic along with your approx. 2000#overall weight. However you did it.....Nice ?Going
Joe
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I know when I stood inside the 16' Casita I couldn't deal with it. I had driven a few hours to check it out for myself just to determine if it would bug me or not.
I had a 16' Scamp at the time and I have no problem standing straight in it.
I have just gotten a 17' Casita and it seems a little taller than the Scamp.

I decided the low height in the Casita 16 was a deal breaker.
Nothing as frustrating as getting up and not being able to stretch out,at least to me.

Also I will plug again for the Fiberstream with big headroom and the biggest bed going I think?
If it will just be you and the kids the three of you would have no problems sleeping on the big bed I think.

Melissa,I pm'd you about seeing the Casita if you are interested?
I am in South Florida right now but will not be for long.

Just a thought
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #31

Hi Ed, I'm new to forums etc and thought I had most of it figured out but can't find your PM. Under my controls it says 0 messages so are the PM's stored some place else? I feel like a moron, lol.
Our local Air Force base (Patrick) rents Casitas. They aren't sure if they are 16 or 17 feet. They are volunteers who work in the office. We are going to the base tomorrow and plan on stopping by to check them out if one is there. Being a weekday I wouldnt think they'd both be rented but you never know. I know what you mean, Hubby has no interest in stooping. I guess that is one advantage to me being "vertically challenged", lol. If it turns out they are the 16' ones I'll see if I can catch up to you to see your 17' one. Thanks for the offer. I was reading the thread on Scamp vs Casita and thought it interesting that the Scamp isle is wider. That would be handy as Hubby is around 280 lbs so squeezing by is a way of life for us sometimes. We do like each other at least, LOL.

I sure hope nobody else has PM'd me b/c I cant find them if they have.

Melissa
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Ed, I'm new to forums etc and thought I had most of it figured out but can't find your PM. Under my controls it says 0 messages so are the PM's stored some place else?
Melissa, if you're just viewing the 0 messages from the main forums pages, it doesn't mean you have zero messages, it just gives the number of unread messages. Click on the massages window to go to your inbox
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #33

Thanks Donna, I guess I havent recieved any new PM's then. I did email Ed to let him know I didnt get his message and to let me know whether he got my message or not.

Melissa

Quote:
Melissa, if you're just viewing the 0 messages from the main forums pages, it doesn't mean you have zero messages, it just gives the number of unread messages. Click on the massages window to go to your inbox

Tags
eggcamper