Fiber Stream question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
There is a small seam just above the bottom of the camper. It looks like it will be covered up when I replace the colored strip that goes over it. Do I need to do anything else to the seam first?
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Do I [b]need to do anything else to the seam first?
Need to? no.

Unlike Boler, Scamp, Casita, et al., I don't consider it a "seam" per se.

The fore-mentioned brands joined two halves of their bodies that does leave a crack between two "lips" on the outside, while fiber-glassing the seam over on the inside. The "lips of the body" are then covered with a decorative trim. For comparison sake, I will refer to that crack as an "Innie", as in an innie belly button.

Fiber Stream on the other hand, molded within a split mold that was all clamped together before the fiberglass was applied to it. That area is merely the [b]remnant of a ridge where the gel-coat seeped into the crack between the lips of the mold. I'll refer to that ridge as an "Outie", merely an unavoidable blemish on an otherwise smooth single surface. The manufacturer just sanded the ridge down to almost flush, but didn't sand further to avoid damaging gel-coat in a wider swath. He then covered it with a decal stripe, which still telegraphed the bump behind it, but didn't consider it a defect at the time. That area [b]will not leak.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Thanks, Frederick. I called it a seam for lack of a better term. I'm planning on replacing the colored stripe, but wanted to make sure I didn't need to do any kind of a repair on it, first.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream