Want an awning for my Surfside and don't know where to look? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14
Thumbs up

Hello,
Would like to buy an awning for my 1976 Surfside under construction. If anyone knows where to buy them , I would appreciate the info. When I try to google it, I just seem to get sites that are for larger Rv's. I have seen awnings on Bolers, and other small trailers so I know they must be available somewhere. Thank you for the help. Kathy Provost
Kathy Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
try somewhere like camping world, you would most likely be looking for a " bag awning"

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 13 ft
Try this company.
http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html
Peter J Halsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Hello,
Would like to buy an awning for my 1976 Surfside under construction. If anyone knows where to buy them , I would appreciate the info. When I try to google it, I just seem to get sites that are for larger Rv's. I have seen awnings on Bolers, and other small trailers so I know they must be available somewhere. Thank you for the help. Kathy Provost
We got the awning for our Boler from Interwest Sports.It was shipped USPS to us in Ontario within a week of ordering.The cost with shipping was only $214.00.We have a seven foot but you would probably want a longer one at least eight ft.We love our bag awning.Its very easy to set up and a screen enclosure can be purchased to fit the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_awning_resized.jpg  
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14
Quote:
We got the awning for our Boler from Interwest Sports.It was shipped USPS to us in Ontario within a week of ordering.The cost with shipping was only $214.00.We have a seven foot but you would probably want a longer one at least eight ft.We love our bag awning.Its very easy to set up and a screen enclosure can be purchased to fit the awning.

Thank you very much! That is exactly what i was looking for! Much appreciated!
Kathy Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Vintage Trailer Supply sells some very much like the originals.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i've found one for my casita at a vw bus parts place. http://www.busdepot.com/index2.jsp

it's an 8" lightweight awning made to fit a vw camper bus. the awning along with the optional suction cup adapters works great on my 13' for less than $200.

p
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Just a "consumer report" on the intrawest - supplied bag awning. After one three month stint in Florida, one vertical arm became almost impossible to deploy to full height. When I got home I disassembled it and found corrosion and a metal flash on the locking piece. There was a groove on the aluminum lower arm from the flash on the steel insert . Taking it apart to buff and lube the offending plate involved drilling out the 1" rivet. None are available locally and the manufacturer does not return my emails. Also corroded was the detent/spring-loaded button on the one rafter arm. The bag covering fills with rainwater due to the height of the "C" tube on the side of the Trillium (had to raise it to be able to open/close trailer door)...so i have poked drainage holes in the bottom of the bag.
That being said, the awning does the job...but I am not impressed with the quality and response to customer complaint.
"Caveat Emptor", fellow eggers
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I would certainly buy the rope& pole awning from Vintage Trailer Supply. They are made out of Sunbrella type fabric and made to be period exact for a vintage trailer...they arn't cheap but look great. The smallest sized one will work on a 13' trailer. VTS
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Arrow

I'm getting rid of my awning. I found it too hard for one short person to put it on, especially in the rain! What is a fair price for a used one? It's gold and white stripes with a fringe all around. No rips, in very good condition. Probably because it's hardly been used.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Just a "consumer report" on the intrawest - supplied bag awning. After one three month stint in Florida, one vertical arm became almost impossible to deploy to full height. When I got home I disassembled it and found corrosion and a metal flash on the locking piece. There was a groove on the aluminum lower arm from the flash on the steel insert . Taking it apart to buff and lube the offending plate involved drilling out the 1" rivet. None are available locally and the manufacturer does not return my emails. Also corroded was the detent/spring-loaded button on the one rafter arm. The bag covering fills with rainwater due to the height of the "C" tube on the side of the Trillium (had to raise it to be able to open/close trailer door)...so i have poked drainage holes in the bottom of the bag.
That being said, the awning does the job...but I am not impressed with the quality and response to customer complaint.
"Caveat Emptor", fellow eggers
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad
Alistair, I was just wondering if you have the classic or the supreme awning??

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Paul, I bought the Supreme...the one with square tubing and the rafter tensioning device. Like I said in the posting, it is "OK"...does the job...but in a seashore environment you will get corrosion between the dissimilar metals used in the manufacture and the water that stays in the rolled up unit. Just spray lots of silicone or "Jigaloo" on the telescoping parts.
Cheers...Alistair in the Road Toad
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Paul, I bought the Supreme...the one with square tubing and the rafter tensioning device. Like I said in the posting, it is "OK"...does the job...but in a seashore environment you will get corrosion between the dissimilar metals used in the manufacture and the water that stays in the rolled up unit. Just spray lots of silicone or "Jigaloo" on the telescoping parts.
Cheers...Alistair in the Road Toad
Hi there Alistair, I'm thinking of getting the supreme awning. I was just wondering what size of rivet did you use to attach the rail to the trailer??

Thanks,

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside