My Scamp AC Install - A tweak on Parker Buckley's design - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Todd
California
My Scamp AC Install - A tweak on Parker Buckley's design

When we first bought our scamp, I was so excited to find the AC install write up that Parker Bukley had done. You can find this thread here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-40627.html

I am not that mechanically inclined with wood so I had to get help in making the base you unit he designed, but this is exactly the same as his.

Where I changed things up a bit is in the supports used to keep the AC unit in place when mounted. I decided I did not want to rely on the window frame to balance the AC and or support the added weight. Rather, I went with a more traditional setup.

I purchased a 3/4 piece of pipe which was threaded on both ends and cut to the length I needed. I then purchased a threaded cap for one end of the pipe. I drilled hole through the tip of this cap and then also through the bumper where I wanted to pole to be used. I mounted the cap onto the bumper using a 3/8 inch bolt.

Now when I want to use the AC unit, I simply take the pole out and screw it on to the cap. I then put the mounting base in the window and let the back end rest on the pole which has a rubber stopper at the top. I also use a thin towel over the window base to keep this from getting beat up by the wood platform. Next I slide the AC unit into place and I'm ready to go. I can even do both the base and AC at once if I want from either inside or outside. Only takes about 2 minutes and can be done all by yourself.

I will probably make some trim pieces to cover the window gap but I just used a towel today to see how well it cooled (95 degrees in San Jose today). The Scamp was an ice box in 10 minutes on full power. Mission Accomplished. Now for a few pics.

The complete setup.

Close up view of the threaded cap attached to bumper and pole installed

Under bumper view of the bolt used to keep the threaded cap attached to the bumper.

Hope this write up inspires others....
Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp