Burro question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: currently shopping
North Carolina
Burro question

I'm looking at buying a '78 - 13ft Burro. Looks like the body is a fiberglass clamshell with a seam in the middle of the roof. If this is true is it prone to leaking?
mrpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Short answer: No, due to the fact that the joining of the shell halves is accomplished by bridging the vertical seam with glass matt and resin on the inside centerline. You can see this construction feature by removing the central headliner. Long answer: Thru-hulls such as roof-mounted A/C, fans, and vents have a significant likelihood of leaking over the lifetime of the trailer as do windows and doors. The Burro center seam, judging by leaks reported by Burro owners, does not. I have seen at least one report of a leak in the center join in a UHaul of similar construction. I surmise that almost any "unitized" structure can be defeated by impact damage and trailers do get rear-ended occasionally. Debonding of the glass bridging the seam would certainly encourage water entry.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
What Rabbit said is correct but...be advised...you should make sure the exterior vinyl seam trim is filled with a premium sealant to prevent any water intrusion into the seam. Water that gets through that seam will stay between the hulls but...it will come out at either the front or rear window openings.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul had a couple seam leaks, but I blame that on poor assembly when it was made.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having totally stripped down my burro with a bunch of bodywork and paint prep, I got a pretty close-up look at that junction between the clamshells (in the process of eliminating it) and it seemed clear that water would have to work pretty hard to get through. Like jack said, so many other easier routes to the inside of the trailer!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: currently shopping
North Carolina
thanks so much you guys - We're going to look at it today
mrpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
Well what did you think? Are you a burro owner?
Moto Guzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Hi! I've got a 1982 Burro and have been out three weekends so far this summer. Two of those weekends I encountered some serious thunderstorms but nary a leak........
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro