Escape 15 Discontinued - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Escape 15 Discontinued

If anyone was thinking of purchasing an Escape 15 you had better look at buying one of the three they have in stock.
They have just announced they will not be making any more so the 17 will be their smallest trailer now.
kootenaigirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Well, that's a bummer. I can't buy one right now but hoped to some day. They are few and far between pre-owned.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
There is a nine month wait for the larger Escape trailers, but they have three 15-footers available right now.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
First the 13', then the 15'.

Cheap gas, maybe, driven by a price war between the Saudis and shale oil developers? Last of the baby boomers hitting the retirement trail looking for somewhat larger trailers? Small market competing with cheaper used trailers that refuse to die? All of the above? None of the above?

Markets have a way of shifting. I hope they hang onto the molds. Meantime, Scamp soldiers on…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Wow! I can only hope that this action will shorten the wait time for the remaining, larger sizes.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Wow! I can only hope that this action will shorten the wait time for the remaining, larger sizes.
Wishful thinking Mike, the reason for the discontinue is low demand so its doubtful that the building of the few they have done in the past few years has resulted in much of a back log of the bigger rigs.

Seems that people take a look at the 15' then the 17' and see what more they get in those 2' feet and feel the marginal amount of extra weight to pull is worth getting the 17' for. Or at least thats what I suspect happens.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Don't worry minimalists

There is still the Sidekick, Outback, Casita, Scamp, and Weiscraft. Guess Escape likes the larger mark-up for the bigger rigs.

It would have been nice to give a heads up for customers who were thinking of a 15'. Of course, they did the same thing with the 13'.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Roger, isn't the Sidekick out of production, at least for now?

It also appears Casita makes and sells very few 13'ers, and doesn't make the basic bunk version at all. I don't even see many newer 16'ers. It seems to me they have largely abandoned the "minimalist" market.

I'm not blaming anyone. It's a business, and they are going to make what people are buying. The fact that Escape has three unsold 15'ers sitting around points to a lack of demand in the smaller segment.

Now if Scamp discontinues their 13' model, I'll look for the sun to rise in the west!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I picked up my 17 ft Casita ,I was told during my orientation (if my memory is correct) ,that over 75 % of Casita' s sales were the 17 ft . The 16 ft was next in sales and the 13 was last . I may be mistaken because of my bad hearing but when we picked up our trailer at the factory ,there was not a 13 in sight. I can see the day that Casita drops the 13 ft because of lack of demand
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I don't think people have had much of an opportunity to buy bigger fiberglass trailers in the past. Now that they can, they are. Of course, these little fiberglass companies seem to have cult followings, (that's us!) and when a company makes a new one, it is an instant seller.

ETI is actually after people who own big fifth wheelers or motor homes and want to downsize. Quite a few of ETI's own customers, however, move to their bigger models also. They could almost, not quite, survive on their own present customers since over 1,000 units have been sold now.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would not be surprised to hear that the production cost for the 15 is really close to the same as the 17. I knew a boat manufacturer who discontinued a boat when cost analysis indicated it simply was not profitable compared to a very similar larger model .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Guess Escape likes the larger mark-up for the bigger rigs.

It would have been nice to give a heads up for customers who were thinking of a 15'. Of course, they did the same thing with the 13'.
I am going to suggest it has more to do with knowing their market and building to it.

As far as a heads up goes - they have. As been indicated they have 3 new ones built without buyers sitting in the yard waiting for anyone who was thinking of getting one. Trust me they don't have any other sizes sitting around new just waiting for a buyer. If you ordered a new trailer from them today you will not see it until October.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It could be too, since ETI started production there are several new companies that have come onboard in manufacturing and several others about to start up in the under 17' range. When it comes to all molded towables in the over 18' range, there's Escape and Oliver which is many thousands more than an ETI build. I don't keep up with Bigfoot. Do they fall into that category too for all molded?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
There is still the Sidekick, Outback, Casita, Scamp, and Weiscraft. Guess Escape likes the larger mark-up for the bigger rigs.

Nothing minimalist about my Scamp13D!
We have everything the oversized trailers have! ��
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nothing minimalist about my Scamp13D!
We have everything the oversized trailers have!
Love the one you're with! I'm just glad the one I'm lovin' is 20' long
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 AM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Seems that people take a look at the 15' then the 17' and see what more they get in those 2' feet and feel the marginal amount of extra weight to pull is worth getting the 17' for. Or at least thats what I suspect happens.
That ws it with me, at first I considered the 15' then I sat in the 17'er and the decision was made.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since the build schedule is booked to October, it seems reasonable to assume the three new 15 ft trailers were ordered and then cancelled. People saw the actual size and wanted bigger. The only reason I can think of for canceling production of the 15' is to avoid that situation in the future. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
>>Nothing minimalist about my Scamp13D!
We have everything the oversized trailers have!<<

LOL! Except space!
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #19

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Rereading Escape's announcement, it just says that they aren't taking new orders and that they have suspended production of the 15. It's not like he listed the molds on Craigslist ( or Kiiji) . Maybe gas goes up to 6 bucks a gallon and folks start wanting the smaller trailers again, who knows?

We visited their factory in 2013, starting by viewing the 15b, then 17b, then 19 and then 5.0. They had a new 21 that we could also see, as they just started those. I remember at first thinking that the 15b had everything we needed, but with each step up in size there were more things we wanted. Folks already paying a bit of a premium for a small trailer might have easily just stair stepped their way past the 15. After all, a 17 only cost a bit more...and a 19 just a bit more after that...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Leonard I think you hit the nail on the head. I like the "stair stepping" reasoning you state as we all tend to do that with different items on occasion.
Not that anyone has said anything about it but I really doubt that a viable company would destroy the molds of a perfectly good trailer but put them in storage for the "in case" possible later usage. How many times have we seen what's old and out of favor come back as being the in/have to have thing again ? Gees, I'm getting old . Not trying to start anything from that last paragraph, just thoughts. The 15 may be the perfect rig for some. If you've got the molds....even though you don't have it listed on your site map as a current model. Well, what a way to fill someones wishes and get the positive feedback from folks to spread to the world and maybe have a lifetime customer to boot.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape