Maxx Air fan for the Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Maxx Air fan for the Scamp

We'd installed a Maxx Air fan on our previous Scamp (16') and were well satisfied with the results but, with the existing escape hatch over the forward berth of our 19', were hesitant to cut another large hole in that area of the roof. However, during a recent visit to the Outer Banks (NPS Frisco CG), we had heavy rain throughout the night a couple of times and having to keep the windows and roof vents closed made it it uncomfortably warm.

We ordered the fan before leaving the coast and it was waiting for us when we returned home. After a couple of hours, we now have great air flow in the sleeping area!!

I've got an extra window maxx vent laying around and will install it on the street side window in the upper berth later today.

Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have one on my 2015 Escape 19. Standard equipment from the factory. They're great.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I installed the maxx air fan mate over my fantastic fan and so glad I did. As the original poster indicates, so nice to have ventilation during a rain. I know the product is not the maxx air fan, but a cover one can install if a fan is already in place. No screwing through roof top and one side is hinged to allow for cleaning and easier access. Love it! I believe scamp is selling these now.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You are very fortunate to have a WindowMaxx available to install.
Despite they are a great product and virtually everyone I know either has and loves them, or wishes they did, they have been discontinued. I have them on two of my three sliding windows; the third one is blocked by the awning arm or I'd have one there as well.
Last year, people on casitaforum.com scoured the internet and channeled everyone they could find to littlehousecustoms.com. They were all sold as soon as they arrived.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I've got a question....how exactly do I utlilize the Maxx Air fan to give me good airflow?

It came with our camper but, in all honesty, I've only used it minimally---never overnight. Am I supposed to leave a window open? Do I set it to "in" or "out"?

It's not easy admitting to this. After all, it's not rocket science.
But when I tried it before, when it was hot and stuffy inside, I didn't find it made a difference--so i KNOW I must have been doing it wrong.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You definitely need at least one window open to get substantial airflow. Which one(s) depend on where you want the flow.
But that's why the WindowMaxx vents are so nice. They allow a sliding window to open a few inches to permit air flow in the rain
Most of the time you'll want it to flow out, but you can experiment with that.
And of course the higher the setting, the more air flow.
Unlike the Fantastic fans, the MaxxAir fan will operate with the vent closed and function like a ceiling fan.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
MaxxFan

Looks like you did a great job.
BTW, it is called a MaxxFan. the word "air" is not in the name.

I see you have it at the rear and opening toward the front.
Be sure it is tightly closed and locked down while traveling.
I don't know if will have a tendency to lift in the wind.

for theresa P. : Try to take advantage of the laws of nature.
Warm air rises, so set the fan do blow up and out. Open windows to let the cooler (hopefully) air in. WE have a kitchen window under our awning that can stay open in the rain. The MaxxFan does a good job and not too noisy.
But, if it is real muggy, We have a small 120 volt fan and a small battery fan that we use to blow air on our faces and bodies as needed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for the comments folks.

Bob - An Escape is our dream trailer. I wonder if Scamp would let you sub a Maxx for the Fantastic Fan when ordering a new unit?

Wendy - The Maxxair Fan Mate was actually what first intrigued me to look at fan assisted ventilation. Several years ago, we camped next to someone with one of those during a storm and saw the benefits. The Maxx Fan had just been introduced and that's what we went with on the 16' we had back then.

Walt - Sometimes slothfulness is a virtue. I purchased three of the vents for the 16' but only got around to installing two on the side windows. The third was for the rear but I never got that far. I spoke directly with the Maxx Air folks last week and they have no plans to re-introduce the product. A pity.

Theresa - On the 16' it was mounted directly over the rear bed/dinette. We liked it blowing in (directly down on us) when we could open all the windows. If it was rainy, we'd close everything except the two rear side windows, open them the width of the Maxx Vent (3"-4") and set it to exhaust which seemed to give better air movement around our heads. It's also over our sleeping area on the 19' so I guess we'll go with the same process.

Wayne - Thanks for the kind words. You'd think with the name so obvious in three of my four photos I'd have gotten that right. It is actually mounted to open towards the rear - that's the nose of our 19' in the pics but admittedly its not very obvious.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp