2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have a 2007 Tacoma 4X4 Off Road package, and after complaining to Toyota about rear sag with just a moderate load, they agreed to replace the rear springs. There was a service bulletin that was issued to replace the 2 leaf rear spring assembly with a 3 leaf spring. A service bulletin is different from a recall. Every owner gets the recall work, but only those that complain get the bulletin work.
I also installed air bags but that was before I found out about the service bulletin. I found out about the service bulletin at an FGRV rally. I wish I could remember which forum member told me about this so I could thank them.

I had an 89 4X4 Toyota for 19 years - No rust.
My 07 has absolutely no rust.
I lived in the Chicago area for decades and every brand of vehicle I owned rusted badly. Salt is a killer for any vehicle.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
I'm originally from the rust belt. Chicago, Cleveland, Upstate NY. Atlanta, GA don't got no rust problems. One of the nice things about living here is no rust... that and the BBQ.
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #23

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Eddie Escaper (on the EscapeForum) tows a 2007 Escape 5.0 with a 2013 Tacoma (My Tacoma has a towing package and rates the TWR at 6500 lbs... w my cab and engine)
See post #24 in this thread: 5.0 TA hitch for 2016 Toyota Tacoma? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Thanks. I know a lot of people do it and don't have a problem. That's also what the post you provided says. I would guess those that do it without a problem are just within the stated limits or slightly over with no payload margin to spare. Being slightly overloaded probably won't overwork the truck if it has a tow package, but if you have an accident overloaded, I think the insurance companies would get you.

In my case, with three or four passengers and a 4x4 which has a lower payload, I'll be over the stated payload limit by several hundred pounds.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Another possible solution is to buy a brand new vehicle , tow whatever you want no matter how far over its limits and trade it off before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If your in an area where salt is a problem on the roadways, I would think the new F150 would be perfect for that type roads, all aluminum body, no rust worries. I would lean to the tried and true V8 engine option they offer over the ecoboost, just my own preferences.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Another possible solution is to buy a brand new vehicle , tow whatever you want no matter how far over its limits and trade it off before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out.
I am planning on buying a brand new vehicle in two years and the tacoma is the one I want. Whatever I get has to do double or triple duty. I take my trucks (with no trailer) in the backcountry on forest service roads and worse. Sometimes I'm fording streams. Forest service roads and old logging roads can be pretty narrow. So a light 4x4 truck with its compact dimensions is better for me than a full size. I'll also be driving it to work and I'd rather drive a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage in city traffic.

I'd also like to pull a trailer or 5th wheel with it. A nice trailer is no problem, a tacoma can do it. However, an escape 5.0TA probably over loads it. In that case I would choose the truck I want and select another type of camper (not a 5th wheel). A scamp 5th would probably work but I don't really like that one enough to buy a new one ... might consider it used.

I've owned toyotas before and they will go 300,000 miles with minimal problems. The Fords and GMs (cars, not trucks) I've owned usually go 5 to 7 years with few or no problems and then the annual expensive repair starts and continues for the life of the vehicle. I keep my vehicles for over ten years. My current daily driver is 18 years old. All of the Fords and GMs I've owned were delivered new with multiple flaws and non-working items. I'm hesitant to buy another one - ever. The F150 with eco-boost would be an ideal truck for my use if it was smaller and had toyota reliability.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I'm a "car/truck guy". So far I see that this post is loaded with facts and many half truths plus some hot air.

First off I am a big Toyota booster...love there quality.
Any rust problems are all in the past...rust not an issue.
The composite bed is a great idea but not so much for 5th wheel towing with a Tacoma (6,500lbs+ towing capacity..V6 4x4 Automatic with toe package. Solve the bed issue and the Tacoma is in first place but keep weight under 6,500lbs.
Full size Tundra...gas mileage not good. For whatever reason Toyota trucks are not about gas mileage...great otherwise.

My first choice for 5th wheel towing would be the Ford V6 eco-boost...very impressive for towing 5th wheel...check with Ford for specs...know your trailer weight. The Ford will do the job just fine and get superior gas mileage (for a truck). Best quality after Toyota.

All other American trucks (GM and Dodge) are on my s**t list for many reasons.

Good luck and Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
If your in an area where salt is a problem on the roadways, I would think the new F150 would be perfect for that type roads, all aluminum body, no rust worries. I would lean to the tried and true V8 engine option they offer over the ecoboost, just my own preferences.
I'm in Atlanta - no rust problems at all. People incorrectly assume that aluminum doesn't "rust". Aluminum may not rust but it corrodes like any other metal in the presence of water, especially if its in contact with a different type of metal, like steel. Its called galvanic corrosion. When aluminum corrodes it pits, gets a white dust on it, and has flakes form on the surface which flake off. Add salt to the mix and two dissimilar metals bolted together corrode worse than just steel.

Ford mitigated the problem by isolating the two metals from each other with coatings and probably with rubber or plastic strips or washers, etc. Time will tell how well the engineer's did their job. Stuff like this is usually tested in salt spray booths with hot/cold cycles meant to simulate reality. Only reality simulates reality accurately, though.

I'm an engineer and the aluminum body is one of the things that concerns me about the new F150's. The fancy engine that delivers the good gas mileage is the other. You can solve design problems with brute force or with technology. Technology solutions usually come with eventual reliability problems and/or maintenance expense. Some of my engineer friends say the corrosion possibility doesn't worry them, but it concerns me enough to think twice about buying one. Engineers are forced by the marketing people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do. If I bought an F150 I'd probably get the V-8 engine but it gets crappy gas mileage....
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I seem to recall Land Rovers had an aluminum body. One of the few things on the vehicle that held up Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #30

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A full tank of fuel is is part of the GVW and does not affect payload.,
I think its handled differently by different companies. I wasn't sure so I included gas a part of the payload for the tacoma. Its probably defined in the toyota towing guide. In my case I would still be over loaded.

I agree that it shouldn't be considered payload since you can always count on having a full tank of gas at some point when hauling.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #31

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I seem to recall Land Rovers had an aluminum body. One of the few things on the vehicle that held up Raz
Aluminum could work if done properly. My comment was based on my lack of confidence in the big three doing anything dramatically different that doesn't have problems. Thee are many classic examples and I've been burned by two of them personally, but my post was/is about the Tacoma payload so its off topic.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #32

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
I was also researching a used Tacoma and found this information handy. The last page shows the tow weights. Having a factory tow prep package changes the specs dramatically. 2012 Tacoma Product Information
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #33

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
I was also researching a used Tacoma and found this information handy. The last page shows the tow weights. Having a factory tow prep package changes the specs dramatically. 2012 Tacoma Product Information
Towing capacities are different, however, from payload, which is dead weight in the bed of the truck.

Agree that towing increases with tow package, but payload? Not so much. Payload comes into play with a 5'er in the same way tongue weight capacity comes into play with a tow behind trailer.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #34

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Great truck. Would I tow a 19' fifth wheel with it? No.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1935.jpg   DSCF1878.jpg  

bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When it was time to replace my first gen Tundra, I looked at the Tacoma, the Ridgeline, and the Frontier. I'm currently on my second Frontier with no regrets. We have a member pulling an Escape 5.0 TA with a Frontier double cab. I seem to recall the availability of a 6 foot bed played in his decision. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
I think its handled differently by different companies. I wasn't sure so I included gas a part of the payload for the tacoma. Its probably defined in the toyota towing guide. In my case I would still be over loaded.

I agree that it shouldn't be considered payload since you can always count on having a full tank of gas at some point when hauling.
I know for my truck an allowance is made for a full tank of fuel plus all fluids . The payload capacity listed on the website for my truck is based on the standard fuel tank . I have the optional larger fuel tank so I have to subtract from the listed website payload for the added weight of the larger tank plus the weight of additional fuel . The payload numbers listed on the websites are rather misleading because they tell you to subtract for added options but don't tell you which options to subtract or what the options weigh.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I also have to put in my 2 cents for the Nissan Frontier for your consideration as a tow vehicle. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 Crew Cab which I bought new and I have towed a 19 foot double axle Bigfoot without any problems. I love, love, love my Frontier! Because I went for the super-beefy off-road suspension (with vehicle ascent/descent assist, etc) on the Frontier, the tow rating on mine is 6100 lbs. but without these add-ons, it would be 6500 lbs. Toyotas are great too, but I chose the Nissan Frontier over the Tacoma because the engine was more powerful, the automatic transmission shifted much more smoothly, and the suspension and ride was much more comfortable than the Tacoma. I highly recommend at least doing a test drive of a Frontier. As for towing a 5th wheel, the Frontier does come in a long bed version and I remember hearing in the forums about some 5th wheel hitch system for shortbeds that prevents the 5th wheel from crashing into the truck's back cab - maybe other forum members will remember what system that is. Whichever truck and Fiberglass home on wheels you end up with, keep us posted and Happy Trails!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
As others have stated, the tankful of gas does not count against payload. And I think most mfrs assume a 150 lb (or so) driver, so that weight may not count against the Taco's payload, either.

I suppose a custom mod like this http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...BrAig5#image=2 would be somewhat self-defeating for your purposes...

I think you may just worry about the payload enough that it would bother you all the time you towed a 5.0TA with a Tacoma. So, for peace of mind, best to go with a bumper-pull Escape instead.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #39

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
I am planning on buying a brand new vehicle in two years and the tacoma is the one I want.
I agree, it is a good vehicle. But, if the payload issue is going to keep you up at night you may want to wait and see if Ford Launches the "new" Ranger in your time frame. It may carry a bit more weight.

Also, Hyundai is coming out with a truck in that size range, although that may be more of a Ridgeline competitor.

The GM trucks may give you a few hundred more pounds, but they seemed to me to be quite small on the inside while rather large on the outside. I hope the Ranger doesn't follow this template.

Finally, the scamp bed issue does suck. Why couldn't they make it one foot longer? If you get the side bath version with a front bunk, you can lift the bunk and place the lower bunk cushion on the top bunk and it is level with the upper bed area. Thus extending the top bed area the extra 18 inches it needed. Just a thought.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had a 2007 Frontier with 130K miles on it. The truck was towing some type of trailer most of its life (about 100K). Great truck, but with all the towing brake changes were required about every 60K. This winter after 8 years I decided it was time for a change.
I saw a 2015 Tacoma at Bass Pro, I went to the dealer to check it out. The dealer talked me into waiting for a 2016 for several reasons. About a month later I saw a 2016 at another dealer. I turned around and entered the back of the dealership. As I went around the corner there were about 25 truck frames in three piles. I asked the salesman about them he said they were Tacoma frames but that problem was fixed. I tried to deal with two dealers in Va. and four in Fl. but no one wanted to make a deal. $1K discount off of MSRP at the most (new model they say). After two months of shopping I gave up on a Tacoma. The 2016 Tacoma has a new engine and after having a first year production vehicle before, I decided I really did not want a 2016 Tacoma.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape