2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #41

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We're on our second Tacoma, a 2012. The first was an 05 and, between the two, have driven 300K+ miles with around thirty percent of that towing our 19' Scamp. Both vehicles were identically equipped - 4WD double cab, automatic, 4.0L engine, TRD Offroad package and factory towing option. Both with the 60" (short) bed.

The composite bed is a non-issue. I'll provide a detailed write up with pics for anyone wanting more info. Don't know about the 2016's but bed height was OK with stock axle on the Scamp for these two.

Its usually just Cindy and I so additional passengers are not a factor with regard to payload. Forward of the hitch cross bar and depending on where we're heading and for how long, I carry some combination of a 65 qt cooler, firewood, 20lb propane tank, spare 12V battery and/or an EU3000i Honda genset. Additionally, the rear seats are folded for another 65 qt cooler, tools, recovery gear, battery charger, stove, dutch oven, Cobb grill, Hibachi grill, large bag of charcoal (I don't plan on getting stranded but, if it happens, we'll eat well). Finally, the Tacoma has a Baja Rack roof rack which holds the PahaQue screen room, chairs and a small table.

I'm sure we've exceeded the payload rating with what I've listed and there's probably more that I've forgotten, but it honestly hasn't been a problem. The truck still handles and stops well and the 05 had 240K miles with nary a hiccup from any drivetrain or suspension somponent. Both trucks had the OE springs replaced with those in the TSB and this seemed to help quite a bit with leveling the load. I may add the Firestone air bags at some point in the future but haven't seen the need yet.

We also backpack and enjoy exploring offroad on public lands. For that type of use, I'd highly recommend the TRD Offroad package (suspension, armor and electronic locking rear end) and the trailering option (oil and tranny coolers). Another feature we use quite a lot is the bed mounted inverter (200W driving / 400W parked).

We live on a family farm and I have other towing options with Chevy 1500's and even a Dodge with the Cummins turbo but the Tacoma is still my choice.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #42
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
I was also researching a used Tacoma and found this information handy. The last page shows the tow weights. Having a factory tow prep package changes the specs dramatically. 2012 Tacoma Product Information
We tow a 21 with our Taco rated at 6400 lbs; no problems at all.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #43

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
If you're going to drop the coin for a new vehicle I would consider the Canyon/Colorado vs the Taco.

The Chev twins have higher towing capacity, payload capacity and are cheaper.

I'm biased. I have a 2015 Colorado. Years ago I had a Taco and this is far superior in every respect.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

We also backpack and enjoy exploring offroad on public lands. For that type of use, I'd highly recommend the TRD Offroad package (suspension, armor and electronic locking rear end) and the trailering option (oil and tranny coolers). Another feature we use quite a lot is the bed mounted inverter (200W driving / 400W parked).
Backpacking/backcountry use and driving 37 miles to and from work will be my primary use so I really don't want a bigger truck. You've given me some good ideas about options I might want.

My last memorable (should I say epic) backpacking trip was the Linville Gorge Loop in 2.0 days 2 years ago. I'm 56 and my hiking partner is 15 years younger than me. It nearly killed me but I finished the trip. My motto from the gorge - "when you think you're finally there, you're not"
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #45

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
If you're going to drop the coin for a new vehicle I would consider the Canyon/Colorado vs the Taco.

The Chev twins have higher towing capacity, payload capacity and are cheaper.

I'm biased. I have a 2015 Colorado. Years ago I had a Taco and this is far superior in every respect.
Those are really nice trucks. In fact, they are what got me started thinking about a new truck, especially the diesel AND for all the reasons you listed.

However, when I checked on it the Colorado/Canyon has one of the worst reliability ratings of any vehicle on the road. I'm afraid to buy one of those based on that. When I buy a new vehicle reliability is the first thing I check. If the reliability is not well above average I move on to the next choice.

The reliability rating may no longer be deserved since the truck has recently been reintroduced and the numbers may be completely different now but my negative bias will be hard for me to shake.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #46

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I would never spend my money on any truck with a poor track record of reliability...and that means anything that GM makes is off my list.
Toyota or Nissan Frontier in that order.

More time camping ...less time waiting for a tow truck back to the Chevy dealer's service department.

Research before you buy.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #47

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
Those are really nice trucks. In fact, they are what got me started thinking about a new truck, especially the diesel AND for all the reasons you listed.

However, when I checked on it the Colorado/Canyon has one of the worst reliability ratings of any vehicle on the road. I'm afraid to buy one of those based on that. When I buy a new vehicle reliability is the first thing I check. If the reliability is not well above average I move on to the next choice.

The reliability rating may no longer be deserved since the truck has recently been reintroduced and the numbers may be completely different now but my negative bias will be hard for me to shake.
Mine has the 6cyl gas engine. I believe those ratings are based on the old platform so you won't get a truthful reliability rating for years.

As for the superior Toyota reliability, I am not convinced. This I believe is based on where vehicles were 10-15 years ago. Much has changed. In fact, the Taco was running a 10 year old design up until last year and they were notorious for rust out. They had to pay out 1.3 billion in 2014 for lying to regulators and knowingly selling cars that would accelerate and be unstoppable. 5 people were killed because of it.

To each his own, good luck.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #48

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Backpacking/backcountry use and driving 37 miles to and from work will be my primary use so I really don't want a bigger truck. You've given me some good ideas about options I might want.

My last memorable (should I say epic) backpacking trip was the Linville Gorge Loop in 2.0 days 2 years ago. I'm 56 and my hiking partner is 15 years younger than me. It nearly killed me but I finished the trip. My motto from the gorge - "when you think you're finally there, you're not"
We'll be in the NC mountains for a few days starting this Friday but a little southwest of Linville - just outside Joyce Kilmer in Nantahala NF. I've got you by a little more than a decade but we still enjoy getting away; just can't do it as fast or as far as we used to. I'm not sure I could have done the Gorge loop in two days in my prime much less now.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Mine has the 6cyl gas engine. I believe those ratings are based on the old platform so you won't get a truthful reliability rating for years.

As for the superior Toyota reliability, I am not convinced. This I believe is based on where vehicles were 10-15 years ago. Much has changed. In fact, the Taco was running a 10 year old design up until last year and they were notorious for rust out. They had to pay out 1.3 billion in 2014 for lying to regulators and knowingly selling cars that would accelerate and be unstoppable. 5 people were killed because of it.

A friend of my son did about 3 years in a Minnesota prison for vehicular manslaughter .He contended in his first trial that his Toyota excelerated on it's own ,Toyota said there was no issues with sudden acceleration .After 3 years in prison he was released after a second trial where it was shown that Toyota did have an issue with sudden acceleration and had covered up the facts.
Toyota is no better or no worse than many other profit driven businesses
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #50

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
We'll be in the NC mountains for a few days starting this Friday but a little southwest of Linville - just outside Joyce Kilmer in Nantahala NF. I've got you by a little more than a decade but we still enjoy getting away; just can't do it as fast or as far as we used to. I'm not sure I could have done the Gorge loop in two days in my prime much less now.
We started on Friday at Wolfden hiked counter clock wise and finished on Sunday at about 2:30 back at the same place. We didn't do the grand loop, but did the smaller one which is still about 28 miles, I think. I fell down twice. One of my falls was a spectacular end over end which finished with me hung by my backpack shoulder strap which caught on a tree stump on a steep slope. Linville Gorge is one of the most beautiful places I've hiked on the East coast. It was well past my fitness or ability level. That's why I called it epic.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #51

Georgia
Quote:

I'm still considering the Colorado. I like it. It seems like an outstanding overall design, but as you noted reliability for the new model won't be known for several years. American car manufacturers seem to shoot for "average" in the reliability area. I always shop for the well above average vehicles.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #52

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Toyota has definitely had issues. The frame rust has the been the most on-going annoying issue, the acceleration recall was obviously the worst.

All vehicles have come a long way in the last decade or so. Despite a couple big screw-ups, Toyota and Honda are still by far the most reliable, long-lasting, trouble-free vehicles on the road.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #53

North Carolina
Zach O, The most current pecking order for dependability now has Toyota in number one position with Sabaru in the number two spot followed by Honda.

I'd give Ford high ranks for the F150 truck series.
Once you start talking trucks you open the door for the "Macho" guys who have favorites not based on facts...some guys are Chevy boosters...some love Dodge but most spend far too much time in the service department...I'd rather be Camping...now I sound like a bumper-sticker !
Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #54

Montana
Subaru! Crazy. I love (old) Subarus, but I've always thought of them as very "quirky". Not like VW quirky, but always lots of little problems. Looks like they've ironed that stuff out.

I've always thought (historically, anyway) that Hondas were even better than Toyotas. But I love old, rugged 4x4s. Honda doesn't have any of those . Toyota does.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
According to the brochure for the 2016 Tacoma the payload for a 4x4 is 1175 pounds.

The gas tank holds 21.1 gallons @ 6.3 lbs/ gallon = 134 lbs
My fat self = 250 lbs
2 family members @ 150 lbs = 300
Estimated wet pin weight for 5,0 TA = 700 lbs

134 + 250 + 300 + 700 = 1384 which exceeds the payload by over 200 lbs.

That doesn't include the weight of the hitch which is probably at least 100 to 150 lbs.

So, again, my original question is how do people do it? Am I missing something ? The numbers don't add up. A 2wd has a higher payload by a few hundred pounds but even with that you're dancing on the edge.
Your not missing anything! Except maybe the family dog? :lout

Your doing it right. Know your weights!

How are people doing it? Its Simple - they are choosing to ignore the trucks stated payloads or at least for the time being they are ignoring them.

I know a few folks here who are pulling the Escape 5th wheel with Nissan Frontier for example who without a doubt know they are well over their trucks payloads & how far over they are - in some case by far more than 200lbs. If you sent them a private message they will acknowledge it. I would also suggest that more than one will say they plan to upgrading to something with more payload when the time comes to replace the truck.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #56

North Carolina
Reality Check....everything you read on the Internet is not fact.

A trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer will result in real facts.

Fact: 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 pickup, V6, automatic trans with tow package is rated to tow 6,500 lbs.
If you doubt this fact visit Toyota and ask.

Never accept Internet statements from strangers as fact.

Zach O your Sabaru opinions are based on older models...current production vehicles are highly reliable as per "Comsumer Reports". The auto industry is evolving...some brands are improving...others not so much...research before you buy.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #57

Montana
Good to know. Though I'd still take an old 4x4 Suby wagon over the new all-wheel drive versions. I know, I know, they're great and much better for all around road conditions than a 4x4. But still...I love the old 4x4 wagons. Quirks and all. I just sold one a few months ago.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #58

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we were looking at purchasing a trailer , I was leary of how well my old truck would handle the weight . My truck had a payload capacity of around 1400 lbs and since I needed some sakrete , I figured I would load it up and see how it did. I loaded 20 - 60 lb ( 1200 lbs total) sacks of sakrete evenly spread over the bed of the truck. It was one of the worst driving experiences of my life . The steering was affected, braking was poor and I blinded on coming traffic with my head lights . For me it was not a safe situation. Many say there is a large safety margin built into the published payload numbers but from my experience the payload numbers are overstated.
What feels like a great tow to some people may be highly uncomfortable for others . There is no absolute right or wrong with this subject only personal opinion and experiences , which isn't necessarily based in reality .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Reality Check....everything you read on the Internet is not fact.

A trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer will result in real facts.

Wish the above was true but you can not count of the dealer's sales staff to be able to answer your questions either.

As I found out while shopping for my truck the local dealers were not good with real numbers either. Had to go to the truck manufactures website to get the facts in regards to things such as tow specs based on factory tow package or no tow package and actual Payloads - which BTW varied greatly from the same truck model but with different levels of options. Its the reason I do not have a Nissan truck with a full back seat although I really wanted one. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #60

Georgia
Payload and rated towing weight are two separate measures. If you are towing a 5th wheel you have to keep your rig within the limit for both. A little over will probably be OK. But it makes no sense to buy a brand new truck that is from day one a "little overloaded".

Those who argue that a Tacoma or any mid-sized truck can easily pull a Escape 5.0 and then quote the tow limit on the Tacoma or any other truck aren't considering the entire picture. Its very easy to overload a mid-sized truck in the payload area. The colorado has pretty impressive payload figures for its size. The Tacoma 4x4 has a fairly low payload. For any truck when considering a 5th wheel I've learned in the last few days that its "almost all about the payload"

Tags
escape