Bigfoot 25 With Toyota Tundra? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #21

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Rzrbrn. Try the Timbren rubber springs. I put them on this F-150 and made a huge difference. etrailer.com have them for a good price.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
RV Doctor, thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the Timbrens, I hope I don't have to take the Air suspension bags off, If so I probably won't put the Timbrens on.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tundra worked just fine in Rocky Mountains

I pulled our 2016 Bigfoot 25FB25 all through the Colorado Mountains, back to Illinois, Florida, Arizona. 2012 5.7 Platinum.

The only issue you should be aware of is fuel mileage and distance you want to go between fillups. No-one EVER thinks oh you mean I can only go 180 miles before I need another fillup!!

I installed a transfer-flo tank and brought my fuel amount up to 46 gallons.

Lots of Toyota techs wanted to know where I obtained it, they had the same issue with the older models.

Now Toyota puts a larger tank in.

When the price for Gas on my one trip back to Illinois was close to $4.00 / gal it cost me over $1,200 from Colorado to Illinonis, running around some, and back!!

Now puling with a 3.0 diesel that has a 26 gallon tank, and I get about 350-380 miles between fillups.
DannyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #24

Tennessee
Danny you said you are pulling with a 3.0 diesel. What make model and bed size is it, if you don’t mind my asking?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #25

Oh Sure, I'm pulling with an SUV, a 2015 VW Touareg. It pulls the BF fantastic. I get around 15 -15.5 mpg.

I think if I didn't have this SUV, and I wanted a truck I would try the RAM 3.0 eco diesel. In reading their forums, that 1500 truck would pull it also just fine.

I like the idea that Ford is finally putting a diesel in the F150 line, as there is so much variance in their ecoboost mpg from several family members back in the midwest plus the low range while pulling your RV, that it's not practical for us.

I learned about the VW Touareg when I was camping way up in the mountains on Grandby lake, a Porche 3.0 Diesel pulled in next to me pulling a heavy and larger camper than my 25FB, LOL. Talked with the owner and learned about the less-expensive Porche, VW Touareg!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm fully prepared to be shocked, but I'd be shocked if you're over payload limit in a full size Tundra but not way over payload limit with a Touareg. That seems like a tiny vehicle to pull a 25' trailer.

The idea shown in this thread is not that a Tundra can't pull this trailer fine. A lot of my friends have the 5.7 Tundras, and they have power. They pull great. Problem seems to be, they're over payload limits. Which is a safety issue, not a power issue.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #27

Tennessee
The Tundra pulls my TT very well, and it's brakes are top notch. But I carry stuff, maybe too much stuff. I am going through everything and maybe lighten things up.

I like the fiberglass shell but maybe a lightweight aluminum shell next time. I also like the bedslide, but that may be superfluous.

The two negatives for the Tundra is small fuel tank and no engine brake for those long steep downhill mountain grades.

...I need to get all my arguments for the purchase of a new truck in line before I bring the subject up with the boss...er...the accountant...er..that is, my wife...
Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I'm fully prepared to be shocked, but I'd be shocked if you're over payload limit in a full size Tundra but not way over payload limit with a Touareg. That seems like a tiny vehicle to pull a 25' trailer.

The idea shown in this thread is not that a Tundra can't pull this trailer fine. A lot of my friends have the 5.7 Tundras, and they have power. They pull great. Problem seems to be, they're over payload limits. Which is a safety issue, not a power issue.
Payload, like tow rating, is really a secondary, derived value. When WDH is used, some of the tongue weight is redistributed to the trailer axle, reducing payload on the vehicle.

The bottom-line issue is whether- hitched and fully loaded with fuel, passengers, and cargo- the rig exceeds GAWR's, GVWR's, or GCWR.

Tire ratings also matter, but unless there is significant left-right imbalance, the axle rating is typically first to be exceeded.

To check, locate a certified CAT scale that can give you a separate weight as each axle enters the scale. It is critical that the scale access be level driving on and off to get accurate readings. Ask about the accuracy of the scale; I've heard some big rig scales don't have the accuracy you'll want for a smaller rig.

I believe the Escapees Club also provides detailed weighings (for a fee) at their gatherings. They do each wheel separately, so you'll also find out if there is any left-right imbalance or overweight tires. I don't know if the service is available to non-members.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #29

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
And doing some research, it sounds like the Touareg has a very high tow rating for its size. Payload will still be the limiting factor, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the WDH also transfers weight to the tow vehicles front axle.

if you think of the tow ball as a hinge between two levers, one being the trailer, and the other being the tow vehicle frame, the WDH is a spring between them thats trying to 'lift' the hinge by straightening the two levers...
Attached Thumbnails
WD_hitch_illustration[1].png  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
I pulled our 2016 Bigfoot 25FB25 all through the Colorado Mountains, back to Illinois, Florida, Arizona. 2012 5.7 Platinum.

The only issue you should be aware of is fuel mileage and distance you want to go between fillups. No-one EVER thinks oh you mean I can only go 180 miles before I need another fillup!!

I installed a transfer-flo tank and brought my fuel amount up to 46 gallons.

Lots of Toyota techs wanted to know where I obtained it, they had the same issue with the older models.

Now Toyota puts a larger tank in.
I have the 46 gallon Transfer Flow tank in my Tundra as well. Best upgrade ever. The new larger OE tank is only 38 gallons.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
...No-one EVER thinks oh you mean I can only go 180 miles before I need another fillup!! ....
Indeed, driving from Dallas to the west coast with our new Escape with my Tacoma, 180 mile gas stops were getting annoying (18G safe at 10MPG). slowing down a little and we stretched that to a more comfortable 240 miles at 13 mpg...

a transfer tank would be awesome, but there's no room fro it, my telescope gear needs most of the back of the truck.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #33

Transfer Tank fits underneat Tundra, not in the bed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a transfer tank would be awesome, but there's no room fro it, my telescope gear needs most of the back of the truck.
The Transfer Tank that was available on the Toyota Tundra replaced the existing gas tank!

That was what so amazing, it snaked around in the empty space + previous space from old tank. No one ever knew it was there until up on the lift changing the oil!

"That's when all the Service Techs came over when they said we aren't giving you your keys back until you tell us what is underneath your truck!! "LOL

I was on a trip on Phoenix getting the oil changed, and apparently they all pulled race cars down around Tucson and were tired of having to stop for fuel on the way back. They were very pleased to hear the tank was available.

I don't know if https://www.transferflow.com/ makes one for the Taco...

Very good company to work with. I was one of the first Tundra customers, and we had some issues with the CE light coming on caused by the tank venting, they not only paid a local 4x4 place to fix it, they sent me some mods and paid for the same local company to fix (Including labor).
Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Transfer Flow is the brand, and they do make bed mounted transfer tanks, but the one we're talking about is a direct, high capacity replacement for the original fuel tank. I took the original 24 gallon tank out, and installed a 46 gallon replacement.

I seem to recall someone was making something similar for the Tacoma in a 35 gallon version but I don't remember the details. It wasn't Transfer Flow, but another outfit.

I can achieve an 800 mile range when I'm not towing and the route is relatively flat. It's really handy in the sparsely populated areas in northern Canada when I drive to and from Alaska.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #35

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I have an older Tundra with the 4.7 V8. It's been a great vehicle, and does a good job pulling a Casita 17 (aside from gas mileage.) The 1200lb payload is enough for most of our toys -- unfortunately, the tandem kayak puts us over the line. I've owned many Toyota vehicles over the years so I'm a fan. However, if I was forced to buy a new truck I think that currently, Ford has the best tool for the job.

Hoping to get a few more years out of my 02.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #36

Name: Bill
TN
I pull a 2018 Bigfoot 25B25RQ with a 2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V-8. My truck fully loaded and my BF loaded (1/3 Freshwater) weighs in 13320lbs. Towing capacity is 16000lbs. My tongue wt is 780lbs and trailer is 6120lbs. Tow package rating is 9800lbs and tongue wt of 980lbs per Toyota manual and SAE testing. I would have preferred to be up one more truck to the F250 to have more cushion but that is what I have.

I just came back from 8K mile haul from TN west for 21 states and had no issues but I did stay on top of weight the entire trip.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #37

Tennessee
my 2011 Tundra 4x4 with 5.7L engine and tow package, double cab. has a tow capacity of 7200 lbs. The 4x4 reduces the tow capacity. Payload is about 1330lbs if I recall correctly. Really like the Toyo but would by Ford Chevy or Ram, in that order.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #38

Name: Bill
TN
I like the truck too, but probably go back to being a Ford guy before my next long haul.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #39

Mid Left Coast
indeed, I went from Toyota back to Ford as a tow vehicle... While the '08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road is a great 'jeep', its payload is just too lacking for our use case, and the 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel longbed has more room, more payload, and more tow, just about double in all categories, while getting essentially the same mileage, with nearly twice as large a tank.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Interesting reading, I to thought a Tundra was the way to go if we were to move up to a larger trailer like the Oliver and I'm sure the Tundra could handle the Oliver 23. Reading about the new Ford F-150's and there power ratings and towing specs I'm leaning to the F-150 because of it higher tow ratings and general high quality of the vehicle. I'm pretty much and overkill person when it comes to vehicles, so I would want a tow vehicle that will have towing overkill, ie., not maxed out and just getting by wouldn't work for me. I watched a video on YouTube on Ford service techs and when asked which engine would they pick, the turbo V6's, or the V8, three quarters of them picked the V8, reason excellent engine and cost of repairs much less then turbo engines. Due note the diesel was not asked about, only these three engines. I personally drove the small V6 turbo and thought the power range was great, but not sure how it would handle a trailer as the power came on all at once, not to good for trailer pulling in my estimation. All being said, we are getting some good choices to choose from, pick one that works for you.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot