Load Leveling hitch for my Casita 17? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #41

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good for you. I was just there. A very special place.

Walt
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #42

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
1 1/4” receiver

Does anyone know of an equalizer hitch with one and a quarter inch receiver
Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Load Leveling hitch for my Casita 17?

A 1-1/4" receiver is a Class I or II, rated for 2000 pounds or 3500 pounds, respectively, weight carrying only. So, no there are no 1-1/4" weight distributing hitches.

For WDH you need at least a Class III receiver rated for WDH (not all are). They'll have a 2" opening.

See here for hitch class descriptions:
https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #44
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
There may be one out there but not that I have heard of. In reality they are not stout enough to serve wdh duty.

I do like your idea of using a wdh for your 17'r but suggest for a few hundred dollars you would be further ahead upgrading your class ll to a class lll 2" receiver.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #45

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I've never seen one. I would think the low weight ratings of those hitches would keep them from being able to support the extra torque of a load transfer. What are you towing?
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #46

New Mexico
Registry
We are towing a Burro that has been modified with a heavier / longer frame, axial, more water, batteries, 5.8 cu ft fridge, cabinets ...
It's about 1,500# now with about 190# of tongue weight. I have adjusted this down to 140# and the trailer lost some stability.
Our BMW sport wagon has a max tongue weight of 200# and 2,000# towing without elec. brakes and 3,500 with brakes. The car with a load in the back as well as the tongue weight makes the car squat a bit in the rear. A light duty leveler could help.
Our previous trailer was a 31' airstream pulled with a F-250. The load levelers did a good job at spreading out the weight. I've thought of installing a 2" hitch but I think the torsion bars would be too stiff even if adjusted to a light tension.
Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #47

Name: Charles
Florida
I'm just concerned that a one and a quarter inch hitch could somehow be rated at 3, 500 lb. Is that receiver from a factory tow package? Keep in mind that the wdh adds a substantial amount of tongue weight itself.
As for a hitch, I use the Equal-i-zer 400/4000, and found it to be just right for the slight bit of lift I needed behind the Honda Pilot. it is the smallest one they make, and I think that is true of other manufacturers as well. The bonus on mine is that the torsion bars also serve as anti sway. There is great information about how easy it is for people to over compensate with a wdh and damage their vehicle by buying one larger than is necessary. Frequently those rated for 7000 lb are also the cheapest ones, but enough torque to twist your car like a pretzel.
The other thing I would suggest is to get real world weights on your camper. Mine ended up being nearly a thousand pounds heavier than the factory specs.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #48

Name: Tom
Oregon
I second the "get a 2 inch receiver" comment. There are a lot of WDH available for those. I personally use an Anderson for my 17 foot Casita with my Tacoma, and find it works quite well. It's particularly easy to carry around and hitch up, and it is tailored for my trailer weight range.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #49

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It sounds like your BMW is rated close to what my old VW 2.0 TDI Sportwagen was.
It towed well, but the 200 lb tongue weight limit was hard to get.
I never had a stability problem with my 16' (Heavy) Scamp, but the setup did need the airbags I installed.
I think that you said you had them installed.
I installed a compressor in the side pocket of my VW so I could level the car.
While the VW was adequate and got good mileage and had plenty of power the Town and Country I replaced it with after the recall is better and carries all of the extra stuff better.
I always thought that an equalizer would have helped.
The Canadian RV America (I think) could give you some guidance on hitches.
The VW has a trailer module that makes the car electronics modify the operation for towing and also provide electronic stability control if needed. The module had to be ordered from the UK as it is not available in the US.
The BMW may have the same type of module, I don't know about that.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #50

New Mexico
Registry
Good point Charles

The car might be rated for 3,500# w/ trailer brakes but the hitch likely is not.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #51

New Mexico
Registry
We've had 2 VW passat diesel wagons that pulled our Burro very well. When the last one with 252,000 miles was ready to retire the diesel choices were Mercedes or BMW. Would have been nice if Toyota brought their small diesel to the US.

I like the sport mode of the BMW which stiffens the suspension, changes the shift points and restricts the trans from shifting to 8th gear.

We have added some weight to the trailer since getting the new wagon and it still accelerates much better with the 2 liter BMW than the 3 liter Pathfinder.

Kind of cheating to compare a turbo diesel to a naturally aspirated gasser
Old 09-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #52

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Another vote for contacting Can-Am RV Can-Am RV Centre
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post