new Burro owner with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: BURRO
Massachusetts
new Burro owner with questions

Hi,
Have owned a 1998 Burro for less than a week. Hoping some one can help me with a couple issues. All those hoses and clamps that make up the water delivery
leak when city water attached. The previous owner said he replaced a lot but even when he showed me it had leaks. My guess it needs a pressure regulator. If yes what type? Guessing the pump system and tank won't be as hard on the delivery system checking that out this w/e. The other thing that doesn't look right is no support on the back bottom of fridge. Anyone do anything with that area. Hope I can get some advice here.
Greg
Greg in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I replaced all my water lines and even the water tank - you can get the same exact one 30 years after the fact! - just for piece of mind and to eliminate old plastic that might be brittle or leaching bad things. It's not a difficult job, nor very expensive. Also replaced the water pump.

Where are the leaks? Are you sure the tank fittings aren't cracked?

I bought a pressure regulator to attach to the fresh water hose at an RV supply place - around $8 if memory serves. Before that i just didn't turn the campsite faucets up too far to limit pressure. The system uses small diameter lines, and the travel distance is short, so you don't need a lot of pressure in the first place.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats, Greg. You have an Escondido CA-built Burro. There aren't many of them. The early production trailers were well-built... the last few had... well... issues. Without doing some research, I don't recall just when the last one was sold, but IIRC, it was in '99-Y2K.

I'm reasonably sure that the water lines in your Burro are vinyl tubing. You'd do well to re-plumb it in PEX.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Time to start over with all PEX. One time job, you will be glad you did it!

As far as pressure regulator, yes, you need one, Amazon has many of them for under $20. Some campgrounds can have very high pressure water supply.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #5

Massachusetts
1998 Burro pex redo

Thanks guys for the PEX info, I have seen it before in a radiant floor but would not have thought of it. I am going to use it. Felix I will seriously think about replacing that tank. Roger I read your history on Burro thanks for the info. There are things to go thru but the basics are strong floor, frame and fiberglass. Bill checking out Amazon for the regulator. Already dragged it around a couple hundred miles follows great.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I bought a pressure regulator to attach to the fresh water hose at an RV supply place - around $8 if memory serves. Before that i just didn't turn the campsite faucets up too far to limit pressure. ...
It is a common misconception that partially opening a valve will reduce pressure. It will reduce flow but the pressure stays roughly the same when there is no flow, and thats the "gotcha." Get a decent "lead free" pressure regulator.

https://techblog.ctgclean.com/2012/0...e-which-is-it/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Congrats on your new-to-you Burro! You've entered the world of caring for an egg, and may it prove to be a good one for you!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
It is a common misconception that partially opening a valve will reduce pressure. It will reduce flow but the pressure stays roughly the same when there is no flow, and thats the "gotcha." Get a decent "lead free" pressure regulator.

https://techblog.ctgclean.com/2012/0...e-which-is-it/
The second diagram in your link mimics a faucet inline valve...it indeed reduces pressure on the secondary side, as the diagram states. If this weren't true, faucets would shoot intense streams when you tried to turn down the flow of water. I believe you're confusing orifice size with a valve.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

Massachusetts
water tank

I could not find the water tank company El Monte on the internet. Looks like Elkhart acquired their assets and still make tanks but not that mold. Bought an 8 inch deep 25 Gal tank, the original was about 5 inch deep,from ICON thru Tweetys RV. The axel sits lower so don't see a problem. Redid the water lines with PEX , thanks for enlightening me, came out nice. I also isolated and re did support for fridge. Now I am not concerned about Carbon Monoxide. From the fridge box I branched off new support for the hot water tank. I am going to test out water lines this w/e. My thinking is PEX does not need a pressure regulator since it is being used in home systems.

Tags
burro