Roof Vent Cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Roof Vent Cover?

Curious, do any of you have the roof vent covers, i.e. Maxxair or Camco? Do you like them? I like the non-cover concept except when it rains. LOL! Are they noisier when the fan is running?

Thanks!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maxxair can be locked in open or closed position.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Thanks Glenn. Not sure what you mean by "locked" in an open or closed position? It's a cover.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Thanks Glenn. Not sure what you mean by "locked" in an open or closed position? It's a cover.

You can open it and push up on the knob so the cover is locked in the open position. It doesn't bounce up and down while traveling ( or you can lock it closed ). Keeps it secure and prevents damage.
The cover I'm talking about came as part of my Maxxfan, which is highly regarded.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Curious, do any of you have the roof vent covers, i.e. Maxxair or Camco? Do you like them? I like the non-cover concept except when it rains. LOL! Are they noisier when the fan is running?

Thanks!
I have a Maxxair (shown below)
LOVE IT! It has protected my Fantastic Fan and allowed full use in pouring rain for many years without showing the slightest sign of wear.
It has ZERO restriction and allows the fan to open completely.
Attached Thumbnails
WB40023.jpg   Oregon trip 004.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Thanks!
Jim, I've got 4 different trailers and have installed both the brands you mention. Camco makes some nice items but I wouldn't buy another Camco roof vent cover only because the quality of the Maxxair is so much better, at least to me. I also don't notice any more fan noise because of the covers. BTW, all the covers are the standard static rear single vent models, not the 3 sided ones or like Floyd's. FWIW, I've never had a problem with water intrusion even with the vent fully open. YMMV .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:

Thanks!
Jim, see this post. I think it was supposed to go in this thread but it got misplaced.

PS, if you like the no-cover option, then (assuming you have a ladder handy) covers such as the Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Breeze Vent Cover can be removed in seconds by removing four hitch pins, washers, and then lifting the cover off.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I got the Camco cover because it was much cheaper than the Maxxair and does exactly what it needs to do. It came with a fine mesh screen behind the grill which really restricted the air movement so I cut it out and what a difference in air movement so I'm real happy with it.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for your input. It helps a lot!

The vent with out the cover adds a little additional light during the day, which is nice. The bathroom vent adds quite a bit as well. I have a skylight in my bathroom over the shower, which I often use a piece of insulation that I have cut to fit and molds into the opening. Reason being, sunny days and a lot of heat comes in. Could run the fan all the time, but ????
Old 08-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Jim, see this post. I think it was supposed to go in this thread but it got misplaced.

PS, if you like the no-cover option, then (assuming you have a ladder handy) covers such as the Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Breeze Vent Cover can be removed in seconds by removing four hitch pins, washers, and then lifting the cover off.
I have a couple of those on my Bigfoot 25B25Fb. Absolutely love them. Had them on my previous Bigfoot motor home as well. Better than MaxxAir in my opinion as far as operation and air flow. Nice to have fresh air when it's raining.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my Escape came with the fancy Maxxair fan, its cover can be left open in the rain and nothing gets in. its the black version so it lets less light(heat) in on a hot sunny day (doing astronomy, I often need to sleep in). the fan is also quieter at low speeds (and has 10 speeds to choose from)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Oregon
My Casita came without a cover, after one rainstorm, I saw the benefit! One thing not mentioned, when it is windy I always hesitated to have my vent open, not wanting to risk damage. With my Maxxair cover it isn’t an issue.
It does not increase noise and with all the windows in my Casita I don’t notice light being decreased.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I have the fantastic fan ultra breeze vent, it is very nice to have when it is raining and you don't have to worry about if you left the vent open or not. It lets in plenty of light and as Gordon mentioned, it can be take off just by pulling out 4 pins.
Attached Thumbnails
20180811_100828.jpg  
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Vent Cover

I have the Maxair for the fantastic fan on a 21 ft. Bigfoot RB. When its raining, its nice to have the vent open/operating without hinderance.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:

Thanks!
Wouldnt do without mine.
You can travel with cover up and get circulation.. Leave open in pouring rain
Make sure you seal 3 sides
sailorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #16

Texas
Registry
Do you have any pictures of how you sealed the three sides?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:

Thanks!
I have the Maxxair with cover.....I am assuming its for a Fantastic fan?

I rarely use the vent over the stove....I crack a window at the front of the trailer and use the fantastic fan to exhaust....works like a dream
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:

Thanks!
The first thing we put on a new RV of any kind is a roof vent cover. They keep the rain out unless it is pouring and blowing then a little will splash in.
They help protect the vent cover from breaking in a hail storm. One hail storm without the vent cover years ago taught us a lesson we don't want to repeat. We leave the vent open when traveling so the trailer gets some air into it so the fridge has ventilation inside. We don't have to worry about wind damage to the vent with the cover. In our motorhome it helps with the engine A/C to get the cooler air to the back with the rear vent open some. The covers do not make any noise difference with the fans. We can leave our vents open when we go places and not worry about rain coming in. The only drawback is the air doesn't circulate as well without a fan. We have the Fantastic Fan in our Casita so we just turn it on when necessary. All in all we love our vent covers and wouldn't do without them and would never alter them as that defeats their purpose.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
Quote:

Thanks!
Love the max air. It keeps leaves and needles plus wasps out of the fan area. Plus you can tow with the vent wide open. A great addition to my Casita
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot