Found a Casita for sale - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #21

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinTampa View Post
Thank you for your time and information! I put a deposit on a Casita ������
Congratulations on your choice.

Just a word of advice. With your Casita you may decide to visit Mountains for leaf changes, Rallies, or whatever. And nights can get unexpectedly cold.
Get a furnace. It will be very welcomed when you visit cold places and will have more potential buyers at resale time.

Guy we bought our's from had never used the furnace as he lived on the gulf.
We didn't use it for a couple of years. But we had some problems with our electric cube heater one cold night and "Discovered" the furnace. We also use the optional heat selection in the AC unit, on chilly mornings.

FWIW, Our 03 Casita walls don't have any odor that we have noticed.

kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #22

Name: Art
Trailer: looking to obstain one (scamp, casita open to suggestions/'help)
Florida
Thanks! Looking forward to longer trips when I retire. I will be keeping it close to home in the meantime. Curious, a space heater won't be sufficient?
ArtinTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks! Looking forward to longer trips when I retire. I will be keeping it close to home in the meantime. Curious, a space heater won't be sufficient?
No! Space heaters require electricity hookup (120V). Many of the nicest campgrounds do not have electric hookups. In addition, we were at one campground where the electricity went out in the middle of the night.

Running a generator to power a space heater won't work either as almost every campground has quiet hours: no generator allowed. Those hours as a minimum are all night long, and often more restrictive than that.

I really like camping at National Parks. Most of them don't have hookups of any kind. With the senior pass (62 or older), campsites are half price. Its a great deal in camping. I also recently camped at a US forest service campground, same half price discount, and no hook ups.

We love our propane furnace. IMHO, many newbies make the mistake of judging based on where they live, where its really all about where you are going to camp!

Now being on the "thrifty" side, if I do have electric hookups, I use a small space heater and not my furnace. I figure why burn my propane when I can use "their" electricity.

+100 to below, even if the campground has some electric hookups, sometimes the best sites don't. When I was in Homer, AK last month, the ocean front sites had no hookups, and were cheaper than the sites that did have hookups. Lets see, Ocean Front for less money, or back in the crowd for more....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll second that. Didn't think I'd want a furnace- live in AZ and camp in the Southwest in mild weather only. Found out desert nights can get pretty chilly even when days are warm. I'm really glad the first owner of my Scamp ordered the furnace. We don't use it often, but it's sure nice when we do.

Even when hookups are available, the primitive sites are often cheaper and more spacious, less of a trailer park experience. And as Bill says, lots of nice places don't have them.

It's about keeping your options open.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #25

Florida
I might have to make Casita a phone call! Thanks for all the imput...
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
No.. dont get the furnace.

Instead do what I did. Order a new camper with no furnace (with the idea to put in a better one). Live with it for three years and then finally realize that as inefficient and loud as the stock furnace is, you wont be putting in a better one (i.e. ProPex). And more importantly, not having one is too limiting - you want to camp in remote areas when its colder. Then drive many hundreds of miles back to the factory to have a furnace put in at higher cost then if it were installed in the first place.

This is what you should do because hindsight is 20-20 and only by going this route will you clearly see the folly of not including a furnace.

Now make that call
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #27

Florida
LOL!!!! Thanks...
Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #28

Florida
I hope everyone had a great weekend. I opted to get my own microwave... Suggestions?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #29

Name: rebecca
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
I need an opinion. I came across a Casita deluxe 17 feet that has been retitled by the insurance company due to flooding during storage. I did visit to see it. Everything was pretty much brand new. The three lights over the dining table did not work which concerned me. The dealer said they'd fix it. There was no budging on the price. Of ~12,000 dollars. Opinions?
Potential can of worms. Consider mold issues. I wouldn't touch it.
eyebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #30

Florida
Ordered one from the factory.. thanks! ��
Old 09-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Been rebuilt... Everything is new... Makes me nervous.. thanks for the input...
Everything is not new. The dealer lied. Does it have the original frame, axles, brakes, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc? Of course. What’s new is cosmetic. Insurance titles are SALVAGE TITLES. Do you know what another name for salvage is? Parts or junk. Run away. Go find a trailer that’s not junk.
Chris Christianson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #32

Florida
Ordered the Casita Spirit Deluxe from the factory.. arrives Dec! Excited. Trying to figure out what needs to be taken on first trip to keep it comfortable and successful.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #33

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Christianson View Post
Everything is not new. The dealer lied. Does it have the original frame, axles, brakes, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc? Of course. What’s new is cosmetic. Insurance titles are SALVAGE TITLES. Do you know what another name for salvage is? Parts or junk. Run away. Go find a trailer that’s not junk.
NOT always!

There are many reasons for a Salvage Title.

Our 2007 Casita, mentioned in my signature, had a Salvage Title. With the title should come insurance papers describing the reason for the title. Turns out our Casita was t-boned by a drunk lady. She hit one wheel perfectly and destroyed the axle with only one small spot on the fiberglass scuffed up. I bought it from a dealer for a very sweet price, replaced the axle for under $500 including installation, and we camped in that salvage camper for five wonderful years. We easily towed 20,000 miles in five years, including four times to Idaho/Oregon. We had no problem selling our Casita for $5,000, giving us a nice tidy profit. A salvage camper should be sold at 25-75% of normal.

OTOH, I would not buy a camper that had been flooded, unless I saw pictures of the rebuild, and receipts for the new parts.

Again, there are many reasons for a Salvage Title, besides flooding.

The OP is getting a new Casita. I found out the original owner of our Casita used it only for fishing in North Dakota on the Missouri River. It never traveled more than 200 miles on a trip and went to the same campground time and time again, for as long as four weeks at a time. If he did fry fish in the camper we couldn't smell any odor.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
NOT always!

There are many reasons for a Salvage Title.

Our 2007 Casita, mentioned in my signature, had a Salvage Title. With the title should come insurance papers describing the reason for the title. Turns out our Casita was t-boned by a drunk lady. She hit one wheel perfectly and destroyed the axle with only one small spot on the fiberglass scuffed up. I bought it from a dealer for a very sweet price, replaced the axle for under $500 including installation, and we camped in that salvage camper for five wonderful years. We easily towed 20,000 miles in five years, including four times to Idaho/Oregon. We had no problem selling our Casita for $5,000, giving us a nice tidy profit. A salvage camper should be sold at 25-75% of normal.

OTOH, I would not buy a camper that had been flooded, unless I saw pictures of the rebuild, and receipts for the new parts.

Again, there are many reasons for a Salvage Title, besides flooding.

The OP is getting a new Casita. I found out the original owner of our Casita used it only for fishing in North Dakota on the Missouri River. It never traveled more than 200 miles on a trip and went to the same campground time and time again, for as long as four weeks at a time. If he did fry fish in the camper we couldn't smell any odor.

Enjoy,

Perry

It's true Perry there are many reasons for salvage title. Salvage titles are issued by an insurance company when a vehicle has been declared a total loss whether by fire, flood, collision, or any other peril. They do not come with an explanation as to the damage. The end user may get an explanation as to the extent of the damage from the Seller but it cannot always be relied upon. Often times the story minimizes the damage but the fact remains that it was an insurance company declared it a total loss. If it's not economically feasible to fix it correctly how can it be profitable for a third party to fix it, sell it at at a discount and make a profit? Incomplete repairs? Shoddy work? Who knows? That's why it's best to avoid them.

I am speaking from a position of experience. Before I retired I owned a auto, truck, and RV dealership for 16 years. I saw a lot of my competitors do some really shady stuff. Buying any type of vehicle with a salvage title (declared a total loss by the insurance company) is a gamble most folks shouldn't take.
Chris Christianson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #35

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I am as considering the side dinette model. Besides not having to convert the bed to table and vice versa while camping, it will sleep one friend. Air conditioning is not an option in Florida so that's top of the list. What is fan for the refrigerator? I agree with vinyl flooring. The reason i lean to Scamp is that Casita has some kind of wall carpet. I think it could be a problem over time with scents.
The wall carpet is not a problem in the Casita. We've had ours 11 years and no problems. Previously we had a 1985 and the carpet was in good shape in 2006. The Scamp also has a material that most call rat fur. From this website it seems like the rat fur is more of a problem. I think the Casita has a much better build and many things like A/C is standard. Last I knew Casita would help deliver through a delivery service. We opted to go to the factory and see them built and make sure everything was right. They gave us one night in a campground. We found our door drug a little and took it back the next day. They fixed it immediately. Go for the Casita.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 AM   #36

Florida
Ordered the Casita and am very pleased with the decision. It will be delivered December. Thank you for the information. Very appreciated!!
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #37

Florida
Side note... Trying to get 'stuff' to make camping easier. What is the opinion on 28050 BAL RV PRODUCTS/ ADNIK LEVELING JACK USE TO LEVEL LIGHT WEIGHT for Casita? I ordered it with 15" wheels.. would it work? It says for lights weight. Is it for pop up only?
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #38

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want easy get a power jack for the front and a cordless screwdriver to lower the rear stabilizers. Also a foam garden pad to kneel on so you don’t beat up your knees.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Side note... Trying to get 'stuff' to make camping easier. What is the opinion on 28050 BAL RV PRODUCTS/ ADNIK LEVELING JACK USE TO LEVEL LIGHT WEIGHT for Casita? I ordered it with 15" wheels.. would it work? It says for lights weight. Is it for pop up only?
Art, just some FWIW, your new egg will come with what you basically need for leveling....other than a few 2xs or plastic stackers for the stock jack bases or raising a wheel by parking on the low side. Take a few 2x6s, 24, 20 and 18" to stack as a ramp to raise a side to level it out. Doesn't have to be perfectly level for the refer to work well anymore, just be comfortable for you to walk in. Use it for a while before you start adding the I think I "have to have" stuff. Everyone here can tell you about all the things we had to have, for whatever reason that are now long gone but were good ideas at the time . Congrats on your purchase, take it out, use it and learn from experience what does and doesn't work for your camping style and locations.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #40

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Christianson View Post
It's true Perry there are many reasons for salvage title. Salvage titles are issued by an insurance company when a vehicle has been declared a total loss whether by fire, flood, collision, or any other peril. They do not come with an explanation as to the damage. The end user may get an explanation as to the extent of the damage from the Seller but it cannot always be relied upon. Often times the story minimizes the damage but the fact remains that it was an insurance company declared it a total loss. If it's not economically feasible to fix it correctly how can it be profitable for a third party to fix it, sell it at at a discount and make a profit? Incomplete repairs? Shoddy work? Who knows? That's why it's best to avoid them.

I am speaking from a position of experience. Before I retired I owned a auto, truck, and RV dealership for 16 years. I saw a lot of my competitors do some really shady stuff. Buying any type of vehicle with a salvage title (declared a total loss by the insurance company) is a gamble most folks shouldn't take.
My experience is different. Mine DID come with an explanation for the salvage title. I know of others that also did. Mine came explaining exactly the reason for the salvage title and was quite detailed. Our Casita was titled in North Dakota when purchased. I had to take the camper to St Cloud for a state inspection before they would issue title and a plate. The inspector spent nearly two hours checking with a laser, and other checks, before passing the camper. The statement was included in the papers when I sold the camper. I also was able to talk to the original owners.

When I met my wife she had purchased her Toyota Corolla with a salvage title. It was in a flood and the insurance statement was quite simple, "the car was in a flood." It was inspected by her former husband, who is an auto mechanic, was passed throughout the family, and finally died at nearly 380,000 miles. I also know of another who purchased a salvage car that had been in a flood. In his case the car was not inspected, and was a lemon.

It's up to the buyer to decide if it's a good deal. In my case it was a good deal and we enjoyed five years with our Casita. I checked for square and any signs of a bent frame/cracked fiberglass and found none. I know of others who have purchased rebuilt autos and have had good luck. I also know of others who have purchased a new auto and had a lemon from the start, and throughout their ownership.

Personally, I would not buy anything that had been in a flood, but would consider a repaired vehicle, that was inspected by a mechanic/body shop of my choice, if the price was right. Also, there are many cars/campers out there that have had severe damage, but don't have a salvage title.

However, with a salvage title their should be a steeply discounted price. We sold our 2007 Casita for $5,000 and made a tidy profit. Had there not been a salvage title we would have gotten $8-10,000 (it was a basic Standard Casita with no options).

Salvage titles, or anything used, are definitely "Buyer Beware!"

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, for sale