Bigfoot "Silver Cloud" - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #81

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Thanks I will keep an eye out and I am very patient. Are they a true 4 season like newer bigfoots with the dual pane windows and insulated/heated tanks? I wasnt sure about construction differences between the SC and newer models.
No, they are not 4 season. We have not been cold yet, but usually we are headed for warm camping sites, not cold. If you want 4 season, you need to look for a different Bigfoot or wait and see if they bring these back. I read that Grant at Bigfoot was planning on this, but that was before Covid.

CindyL
Old 12-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #82

Name: Keven
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
No, they are not 4 season. We have not been cold yet, but usually we are headed for warm camping sites, not cold. If you want 4 season, you need to look for a different Bigfoot or wait and see if they bring these back. I read that Grant at Bigfoot was planning on this, but that was before Covid.

CindyL
So standard single pane windows? What does the underside of the SC look like?
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #83

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
So standard single pane windows? What does the underside of the SC look like?
Single pane. The underside is covered with insulation. It kind of makes a few things hard, since you can't get at them through the insulation.

CindyL
Old 04-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #84

Florida
Are they brakes surge actuated drum brakes? How susceptible is the frame to rust? Most of these old Bigfoots seem to spend most of their life in the NW and being 35 years old I wonder how they are holding up.

I'm coming from a boating background and not 100% sure what to expect. My boat is around 7500 pounds and tows fine with a 2013 Tundra. I wasn't sure if the weight balance would be different on something like this.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:04 AM   #85

Registry
They came with electric brakes. The brakes on our Silver Cloud had to be repaired when we got the camper due to their age. In case you are considering the camper that has just been on Facebook, you should know that the weight that the sticker states on that camper, as was the weight stated on our sticker, may be less than the camper is. It is oak inside and heavier than was stated unless they removed some things. Hubby thinks ours is 6500 to 7000 pounds fully loaded.

Ours came from Eugene, OR. Regarding the frame, we have only seen minor surface rust on the tongue. It is a heavy-duty frame and is covered with foam insulation.

Ours is a 1988.

We originally towed with a Ford XLT Expedition with a heavy duty tow package. It towed fine on flat, but we did not plan to take it into the Rockies until we got a more powerful tow vehicle. The Silver Cloud swayed badly when we pulled it from Eugene to Chicago, so we added a ProPride hitch that took care of the sway. Now, we have a RAM 2500, and we will make that trip to Yellowstone in the near future.

Hope this helps. Written with assistance and approval of hubby.

CindyL
Old 04-11-2022, 07:48 AM   #86

Florida
Quote:
They came with electric brakes. The brakes on our Silver Cloud had to be repaired when we got the camper due to their age. In case you are considering the camper that has just been on Facebook, you should know that the weight that the sticker states on that camper, as was the weight stated on our sticker, may be less than the camper is. It is oak inside and heavier than was stated unless they removed some things. Hubby thinks ours is 6500 to 7000 pounds fully loaded.

Ours came from Eugene, OR. Regarding the frame, we have only seen minor surface rust on the tongue. It is a heavy-duty frame and is covered with foam insulation.

Ours is a 1988.

We originally towed with a Ford XLT Expedition with a heavy duty tow package. It towed fine on flat, but we did not plan to take it into the Rockies until we got a more powerful tow vehicle. The Silver Cloud swayed badly when we pulled it from Eugene to Chicago, so we added a ProPride hitch that took care of the sway. Now, we have a RAM 2500, and we will make that trip to Yellowstone in the near future.

Hope this helps. Written with assistance and approval of hubby.

CindyL
The one on FB is what sparked this next round of investigation but unfortunatley it may be a little more beat up and I don't need another project right now. It's also no longer very original with all the oak being painted if anyone is looking for something OEM.

I'm also reconsidering the SC because eventually I would like to do some 4 season camping and I wonder if it's too large for us. I'm just not sure what my options are if I want to be in the sub $15k range.

Do you happen to know the exact width of the trailer and what the widest point is? I'm trying to figure out if it will fit in my gate which is almost 8.5'.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:22 AM   #87

Registry
Did you get pix of this camper? Yes, a shame if painted. I can understand painting some of the dark 17 foot ones, but someday, people will realize that that paint will chip easily.

The Silver Cloud is 8 feet, 2 to 3 inches wide counting the awning. It is not easy to back it into some narrow camping sites.

We do park ours in a fairly narrow driveway. Kevin can just squeak my New Beatle past it to get into the garage. This picture is the camper parked on the part of the driveway that the fans out.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot 2021.jpg   New house.jpg  

Old 04-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #88

Florida
Quote:
Did you get pix of this camper? Yes, a shame if painted. I can understand painting some of the dark 17 foot ones, but someday, people will realize that that paint will chip easily.

The Silver Cloud is 8 feet, 2 to 3 inches wide counting the awning. It is not easy to back it into some narrow camping sites.

We do park ours in a fairly narrow driveway. Kevin can just squeak my New Beatle past it to get into the garage. This picture is the camper parked on the part of the driveway that the fans out.

CindyL
The interior oak has all been painted and most of the cabinetry in the bedroom and lounge area modified. It would be a cool candidate for a resto mod but with some of the other areas that need repaired it might be an expensive starting point. Tough to tell in this market where everything seemingly goes for a fortune.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:57 AM   #89

Florida
Quote:

CindyL
Cindy, whereabouts are you in your travels right now? I seem to remember you were somewhere in FL recently.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #90

Registry
We were in FL in January. We are home. We begin traveling in 3 weeks and will be at several rallies and a trip to Nova Scotia in August. We won't be back to FL until December.

CindyL
Old 04-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #91

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think lazy boy has very nearly passed into the category of words like kleenex, elevator, and xerox, brand names so closely associated with a specific product that they became common nouns (or a verb in the case of google). I understood you perfectly.
Oh, I so agree with Jon!! Have a lazy boy brand couch that has been retired to the family room in the stick house. Most uncomfortable piece of furniture we've ever owned, and it isn't that old. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, cloud