2020 Casita Upgrades and Modifications - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
. . . (who read all the Casita forums regularly,)

Currently, this is the only forum I am on. What are the other forums I should read? I am very new to FG and RVing, so I appreciate learning from the "Pros".
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #22

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
I have been using conductive grease on those 7 pins and so far so good. Also, I store mine inside the electric jack cover hanging down.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #23

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
I store mine inside the electric jack cover hanging down.

I like the idea of an electric jack cover. Was that an after market addition? Did you make it yourself or did you buy it commercially? A jack cover would kill two birds with one stone.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
Currently, this is the only forum I am on. What are the other forums I should read? I am very new to FG and RVing, so I appreciate learning from the "Pros".
These are links to the two Casita forums that are used the most. The first one is quite active, the second one is not as active.

And both of them require you to subscribe, i.e. "join." However, neither one of them requires any kind of payment or dues to be a member, but you must register on each site and be approved, (usually within a day or so.).

https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/forums/

Casita Club - Casita Travel Trailer Owners and Prospective Owners
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #25

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Harbor Freight carries Stainless Cable Tie Straps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20cable%20ties
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #26

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Bob, I purchased the jack cover from Camping World. I spray it with 303 to get it to last a little longer which is about 2-3 years. It does stay dry under it though.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #27

Idaho
Stainless Cable Ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Harbor Freight carries Stainless Cable Tie Straps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20cable%20ties

Thank you for the link. I did not know they made stainless cable ties. I will definitely check that out. I have been using a lot of pipe clamps.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #28

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Hose clamp mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I like your solution. I find that almost all cable ties have a short life when exposed to UV light (the sun). Hose clamps sound like an excellent solution. I assume you used stainless steel clamps..
Here is the holder as mounted. I should have never tried to use plastic zip ties in January.
Attached Thumbnails
SEVEN OIN STORAGE.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #29

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Here is the holder as mounted. I should have never tried to use plastic zip ties in January.

Thank you Kenneth for the picture. The stainless steel clamps make for a very professional installation and look.

When something is going to be exposed to direct sun light, I always recommend use of stainless steel clamps or the equivalent over nylon cable ties, as the nylon ties have a very short life when exposed to strong UV light. They become brittle and break when any stress is applied to them.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Nylon Cable Ties

[QUOTE=Bob Penn;773681 They become brittle and break when any stress is applied to them.[/QUOTE]
They also become extremely brittle in cold weather . I tried clinching up some black cable ties last week when temps were near zero F
After snapping about a half dozen I gave up .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #31

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I used the plastic ties that came with the plug protectors but keep them under the nylon and vinyl cover I bought to put over my electric tongue jack. I had to buy two of those plug protectors as my electric tongue jack has its own 7 pin plug to plug into the tow vehicle when hooking up or unhooking which means it doesn't have to be wired permanently to the trailer. I really like that feature. I did not know that there even was such a thing as Stainless Steel ties but will sure be picking up some on my next trip to Harbor Freight.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #32

Wisconsin
Registry
Stainless clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I used the plastic ties that came with the plug protectors but keep them under the nylon and vinyl cover I bought to put over my electric tongue jack. I had to buy two of those plug protectors as my electric tongue jack has its own 7 pin plug to plug into the tow vehicle when hooking up or unhooking which means it doesn't have to be wired permanently to the trailer. I really like that feature. I did not know that there even was such a thing as Stainless Steel ties but will sure be picking up some on my next trip to Harbor Freight.
Note that most of the stainless clamps now have non stainless screws. We used plastic pipe under ground on the farm 40 years ago and the clamps lasted, but todays screws rust into a ball of rust, only the band is stainless. To test, check to see if they are attracted to a magnet, if they are, they will rust. They are still better than zip ties. (Black zip ties last longer than white)
Old 04-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #33

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
I was talking about stainless steel zip ties which have no screws and once installed can only be removed by cutting them just like a plastic zip tie. You must be thinking of hose clamps.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #34

Wisconsin
Registry
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I was talking about stainless steel zip ties which have no screws and once installed can only be removed by cutting them just like a plastic zip tie. You must be thinking of hose clamps.
I've never used them, because of my background I've always had two other types around.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #35

Name: Jim
California
I got took by the Casita Factory. I purchase what the title says is a 2020 model however it has none of those upgrades.

Jim Hoffman
20?? Casita Spirit
Indian Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Scout View Post
I got took by the Casita Factory. I purchase what the title says is a 2020 model however it has none of those upgrades.

Jim Hoffman
20?? Casita Spirit
Take it back.......
Old 04-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #37

Name: Brittany
Illinois
Those upgrades are for models being produced for Summer pickup if I remember correctly.

We just picked up our Casita (a 2020) as well and I had inquired about it.
bpowell487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #38

Name: Jim
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowell487 View Post
Those upgrades are for models being produced for Summer pickup if I remember correctly.

We just picked up our Casita (a 2020) as well and I had inquired about it.

Well then haw do you claim you are getting a 2020 model.
Indian Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #39

Name: Brittany
Illinois
Valid point.
bpowell487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
2020 Casita Upgrades and Modifications

Manufacturers are under no obligation to make changes only at the start of a new model year. I could name many major changes at Scamp that happened in mid-year. I don’t follow Casita as closely.

If what you got was what was offered/shown at the time you ordered, then you really can’t complain. Even if not, I’m pretty sure every sales brochure and contract have in the fine print, “specifications subject to change without notice.”

I can certainly understand feelings of disappointment when you find out you just missed a desirable upgrade. However, it can work the other way, too...

There were some unhappy Scamp customers when Eveland’s made an unannounced decision to eliminate the small window in front bath models in favor of a powered vent. People who ordered when the window was standard went to pick up their trailers and... surprise!... no window. An e-mail with an explanation of the reason for the change in advance of delivery might have prevented some hard feelings.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita