Casita electrical - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Casita electrical

I pray that all are safe.
I have a 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe and want to turn the electric off. I can unplug the shore power, but how to disconnect the battery without disconnecting the battery wires. I think this is done in the 2020 with a disconnect switch. Is it feasible to consider installing this on my 2019?
Stay safe,
Ralph
RLJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLJR View Post
I have a 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe and want to turn the electric off. I can unplug the shore power, but how to disconnect the battery without disconnecting the battery wires. I think this is done in the 2020 with a disconnect switch. Is it feasible to consider installing this on my 2019?
Stay safe,
Ralph
Install it in the negative.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Thanks for the quick reply.
Where do I get the switch?
RLJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
Auto parts stores

Quote:
Almost any place that sells auto parts. My last one came from the local farm and barn store, but amazon has them also. You do not need a high current switch to run a car starter, I used the cheapest that I could find (mounted in a dry location).
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/wir...606&bn=wirthco
Disconnnect the negative from the battery and connect it to the switch and then run a jumper from the other switch bolt to the negative battery connection.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Little House Customs sells them.

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#elec
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

Name: Rick
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Why the negative?
Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
This what I installed in my 2008 17 SD. It's on the POS (+) wire. I've always put cut-off switches on the positive side.
Attached Thumbnails
BatteryCutoffSwitch.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Why the -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Mn View Post
Why the negative?
Now you started something. The safest way is to install the disconnect to whichever terminal is grounded. Typically the negative. The connections are not well insulated and can easily be shorted to the frame with tools etc. My disconnect was on the negative on my old one, currently I just pull the fuse. However, some racing rules require the positive.

But this debate could go on for pages.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
It doesn't make any difference which side negative or positive you break the circuit.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
Read the distructions

Quote:
h
https://www.wirthco.com/battery-doct...sistant-switch
For use in Line on the Negative Battery Cable
Old 05-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As Byron said, either way it is simply just there to break the circuit path to the battery. Really what difference is there in whether it is in the positive or negative wire? I know what Wirthco says, but I don't really feel that it is necessary to only put it in the negative line. FWIW, its also says you might get cancer if you even use it in California. But then, everything sold in California will give you cancer. It's amazing that there's still anyone alive in Cal.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
The switches Casita uses aren't expensive, but if you'd like the one I just removed from our late model 2019 SD 17 I'll give it to you if you pay for the shipping cost. This is what they are using My guess is that shipping to you will cost at least $6.99 that the switch costs at Harbor Freight. I upgraded to a better switch that is less of a snag hazard in the location Casita installs them (base of the rear most side dinette bench). If you want me to send you mine PM me.
Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Stay safe,
Ralph

What I have for mine is a fuse right in the battery box. Got one of the ones that lights up when blown. If I want to disconnect it, I simply pull the fuse. That way I have protection form a short and a shut off for when I actually need it.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #14

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
One old-school thought about putting the cut-out switch in the negative side comes from car-theft prevention. With negative-ground cars that have points, when some amateur tries to hot wire your car they will jump a wire from a positive source to the coil's positive terminal, and jump to the starter solenoid to crank, but if the negative circuit is the one broken, the fool will stand shaking his head not understanding what's wrong. If the cut-out controls all current the car won't crank, but if you have a cut-out for everything except the starter current, the car will crank, but won't start.

Not really relevant to FGRVs, but hopefully interesting.
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What about the type of disconnect switch that mounts on a round battery post and has the knob on it that you back off a turn or so to disconnect the battery. I have it on one of my farm tractors. I've seen them at Walmart and online at Amazon. On two trucks and one other tractor I have the good Cole Hersee heavy duty switches.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #16

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
As Byron said, either way it is simply just there to break the circuit path to the battery. Really what difference is there in whether it is in the positive or negative wire? I know what Wirthco says, but I don't really feel that it is necessary to only put it in the negative line. FWIW, its also says you might get cancer if you even use it in California. But then, everything sold in California will give you cancer. It's amazing that there's still anyone alive in Cal.
FWIW, its also says you might get cancer if you even use it in California. But then, everything sold in California will give you cancer. It's amazing that there's still anyone alive in Cal.[/QUOTE]

GREAT comment. I concur.
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts1190 View Post
FWIW, its also says you might get cancer if you even use it in California. But then, everything sold in California will give you cancer. It's amazing that there's still anyone alive in Cal.
GREAT comment. I concur.[/QUOTE]

You'd rather be in Flint?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
As I just posted in another post go to Harbor Freight and get this switch for $6.99.
See Post # 11

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...m_medium=email

https://www.harborfreight.com/Batter...tch-63425.html
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, electrical