Anyone towing a 13’ casita w/bath using Jeep Wrangler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Anyone towing a 13’ casita w/bath using Jeep Wrangler

Considering a 13’ casita
I have a 2 dr wrangler w/6 culture
6 speed manual & tow pkg
All the specs on Jeep and trailer work
Just looking for real life experiences
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
I towed my 13-foot U-Haul (no bath, no brakes) with a Wrangler (2-door, 6-cylinder, short wheelbase). Worked pretty well, except for once - it was raining and I had to apply the brakes pretty vigorously. The front end of the Jeep started to skid. I figure the downward braking force on the hitch (see-saw effect) unloaded the front wheels enough to break road traction. There were no adverse consequences.

I no longer have the Jeep (unrelated reasons) and presently tow the thing with a V8 Silverado. I can hardly tell it's there.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
We tow our Little Joe with a short wheel base Wrangler with no problem. We make monthly trips around our state of Texas and usually two multi-state trips annually mostly to the mountains of Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico.

We are in our third Wrangler. Just use a little driving common sense and don't take unnecessary chances. I sometimes upset drivers behind me but I would rather drive 10 miles under the speed limit than 10 miles over.

. . . . Fred
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-Linda View Post
We tow our Little Joe with a short wheel base Wrangler with no problem. We make monthly trips around our state of Texas and usually two multi-state trips annually mostly to the mountains of Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico.

We are in our third Wrangler. Just use a little driving common sense and don't take unnecessary chances. I sometimes upset drivers behind me but I would rather drive 10 miles under the speed limit than 10 miles over.

. . . . Fred
Fred - I put a "Jeep" sticker on the back of my trailers just so drivers behind me know why I might be going slow from time to time.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Ha - - - good idea.

I almost bought a bumper sticker that says "Retired, go around".
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
All with normally aspirated 4CYL engines use to tow my Scamp13D front bath.
Each did very well in all conditions including great fuel mileage.
The Escapes were both 5spd manuals.
The TC is a 6spd Automatic and 105"WB
Attached Thumbnails
36dd3d7e96c0459fa22fd70a9311127b!20170502112902000.jpg   '08 Escape 001.jpg  

DSCF0012.JPG   DSCF0034.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Jeep Wrangler/13' Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Considering a 13’ casita
I have a 2 dr wrangler w/6 culture
6 speed manual & tow pkg
All the specs on Jeep and trailer work
Just looking for real life experiences
Hi there,
Just couldn't help but add my two cents to this topic. We towed a 13" Scamp for 3 years behind a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. Not the best vehicle for towing, but we made it work with not driving fast and added brakes to Scamp for better control. Wrangler has a short wheel base and not a lot of power, even for a 6 cylinder. Added better shocks, better tires and even worked the rear end gears to get the control needed. Eventually moved up to a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with towing package. Use the Tacoma for towing our 13 Scamp and 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0608.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #8

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Beachcomber
BC
We use our stock automatic 2018 Wrangler Sahara to tow our 13' Beachcomber. It's around 2000 lbs loaded. Tow it through the mountains of BC. Slightly underpowered but decent tow vehicle. Having brakes on the trailer makes it easier as well. We opted for the .373 gearing as well.
ysreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
while we don't have wrangler we have a 1974 ford Bronco and a 2006 Jeep liberty and both have towed our 13 Scamp. when loaded the Scamp pushes close to 2200 lbs everything we towed it with does fine but we do not have any 4 cylinder engines. we have driven them from seal level to 9,000 feet elevation. The key that makes it all work is the electric brakes on the trailer. I do not like towing with out brakes on the trailer. Take your wrangler and go to u-haul and rent a small box trailer for the day and drive around pretty close approximation.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Have towed our 13’ Scamp with both a TJ (manual straight 6) and a JK(V6 automatic) both did fine because of trailer brakes. I had a Scamp without brakes push our Jeepster Commando through an intersection on dry level pavement.....put trailer brakes on it after that. Wolf Creek pass kept us in 1st gear @5000 rpms for 20 minutes to make it over with our TJ & JK (both 2 door models). Take your time and you’ll do fine.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita