Visited Casita Showroom, Now I'm worried. My experience, questions and concerns. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #61

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Check your 4Runner hitch

Check your hitch; I am guessing that it’s simply bolted to the rear crossmember. That type of hitch is not suitable for use with a weight distribution system. You need a hitch that is solidly attached to the frame. I got an aftermarket hitch for my 2007 SR5; at that time pre-drilled holes were available in the frame, making an aftermarket hitch installation a snap. Likely that is no longer true, Since I believe they’re not offering the V-8 engine anymore.Towing capacity is marginal with my V6 SR5 towing a 17 foot Casita Liberty. The SR5 needs to drop into third gear at times to get over humps.
dougjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #62

Name: Bruce
Georgia
We had a Casita and loved it. For 1 person and a dog I would keep it, however I replaced it with an Escape 21, pulled by a 6cyl Toyota Tacoma with no problems. The Casita was great for a 3 or 4 day getaway but the Escape I could almost live in. If I wanted to be out long term I would do the escape. Not every day is nice so it helps when being cabin bound to have that extra square footage. Just my opinion.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #63

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
South Carolina
I suggest visiting all the fiberglass forums that are specifically dedicated to the brand. This is a generic FG site that encompasses many brands and while it is a valuable source of info, you get opinions from someone who may or may not own the trailer of your interest. People don't hold back when it comes to poor craftsmanship so the problems you are concerned about have probably been beaten to death in their discussions. Did you ask the Casita factory why they did what they did? It's not an easy task to decide what you need but only you can do it. Sounds like you're set with the decision of staying with the tow vehicle you have, that's a start. You are defined by it's weight restrictions and it's a matter of you doing the homework. It took us a long time to make our decision but we know we made the right choice. We have to fix problems when they crop up, as do others with their brand of trailer. They ALL have issues, some more than others. My opinion is that fiberglass is the only way to go. There is no perfect setup, you have to tailor it to the way you want it to be. I'm speaking from the perspective of a full-timer. Our Casita has been modified to suit us and yes, it upsets me to come across shortcuts made by someone who should know better. My opinion is that I think Casita's quality is good overall, and we are very happy with ours, but I also think salespeople should own what they sell, quality would improve all around IMO. If you're leaning towards a particular brand, I strongly suggest you peruse their forum/s and get first hand knowledge. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
johnwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #64

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
my 2 cents

WE bought and camped a Casita 17' Independence for 2 seasons..towed her fine w a ball and a sway bar on our 2017 V6 Frontier 2wd Crew cab, V6 long bed truck(260 HP)
Things we liked: the small 17' TT wd fit in campsites where there was no room for anything bigger.
Light weight.
The two longitudinal twin beds were good..31"X83" Rear made a full king bed a couple times when we had a grown daughter tag along.
Refer worked well as did WH.
AC wd freeze the balls offa Brass Monkey (ole sailing term).
No WD hitch needed
Good brakes.
Maxi-fan had a remote to run it
AC unit ran fine w our 2200W Briggs/Stratton inverter/generator when needed.

Thinks we came to dislike:
Rounded body shape [up top] cut into upper storage usage
Cabinet doors of fiber board..swell when water drops onto the edges..and sometimes shrink back to original shape!
14" between the 2 rear beds..not much foot room...
Storage below was hard to access.
Fridg is on floor and there4 hard to get to stuff in the lower shevlves
90* turn needed to access "throne" in bathroom
Less that 6' headroom in bath..ouch
AC unit hangs down so that there's <6' of room under that too
Front closet 'hides things' at the bottom
WE always ended up resting, eating, sleeping, prepping meals and so on..ON the 2 beds. OUR table usually ended up being our 22"X30" plastic cutting board we used as a 'lap table'..just too much trouble to put up even one of the 2 smallish table tops.
Hated the metal "window blinds"
Hated the slider windows..could NOT have any window even partially open in any rain. ie, NO ventilation in rain
No counter space at all...ended up prepping food on open MW door..see water problem above
Had to do the "Casita Shimmy" every time one of us had to pass the other in the mid-cabin area...trailer body just too narrow.
Single axle
Spare bolted directly to gel coat at rear..had to put 4 rubber bumpers between tire and body of TT
Door flies past open and bangs outer wall in a wind. Nuther rubber "bumper" fixed it.
Water tank drain cap vibrated off once..all water drained out on I-40
No rear hitch receiver for bike rack.
Stinky Slinky stored in metal rear bumper..[I made a "front storage tube" from a 4' piece of vinyl fence post and 2 caps wh I zip tied to frame behind propane tanks. Make sure you get a post big enuf for the hose to go into!!!
Kitchen sink tiny..bath tiny-er still, but serviceable.
Outside shower door can pop open when 18 wheeler zips by..and hose come loose and get under tire at speed. We gaffer-taped that shower door shut as a precaution. Keep roll of white gaffer tape in trailer!!
Easy to hit head on door frame while exiting main door..OUCH!! ..and toes and head while entering/exiting bath

After 2 seasons and over 7000 miles/55 nights camping..we decided we wanted to move up to a bigger trailer..our new E21C was picked up in June and we love it..tho we are getting a full size, Crew Cab V8 truck to haul it and the gear. Always something. The mid-size Frontier Crew Cab, long bed wd have been fine..IF..if Nissan made one w a turbo V6 like Ford did. Oh welllll
WE like the rear dinette and front bed in the 21C...the bed "sleeps" like a much larger bed bks 2 can sleep against the 2 walls and there fore not waste a foot of mattress on either side. This gives you the rear dinette..where the 'views' are better in many campsites! ;-)
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #65

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
The following are my opinions from owning one Scamp, one Casita, one Bigfoot, and one Escape. TETO!

We've owned 15 campers, four of the last six fiberglass molded.

Our first was a 2000 16' Scamp side bath. It seemed dated, the bed was too small (44", had to sleep head to toe!), the fridge was too small, and we never showered in the bath. However, we camped in the Scamp for six wonderful years and easily drove it 30,000+ miles.

We then purchased a 2006 Casita Spirit standard (no bathroom, no water heater, 5gal fresh tank, no gray tank, no black tank) as a salvage unit. We replaced the damaged axle and spent $700 on a Southern Comfort mattress. The bed was 10" wider, and the fridge was twice as big as the Scamp. We had a porta potty for nighttime needs. We used that camper for five years and drove it over 30,000 miles.

We almost purchased a used Oliver. It is a great camper, but twin beds, small fridge, lack of cooking space, and glaringly white interior stopped us.

After I retired we purchased a 2003 25' Bigfoot. It had all the comforts of home and was purchased cheap ($18,000). We camped in the Bigfoot for only one year. Luckily our 2015 F150 had a high payload and springs to haul this 6,500# rig. We foolishly sold the Bigfoot for a Lance (what a disappointment). Had we not sold the Bigfoot we'd still have it today, but we can't afford a new Bigfoot and used are hard to find.

On the way home from our one and only trip with the Lance, we ordered a new 21' Escape (yes, ordered traveling down Interstate 90). However, after we arrived home we viewed a 5.0 two weeks later to make sure we were making the right decision for us . We weren't two blocks from the viewing and decided to change the order to an Escape 5.0 TA instead. Nearly two years, 300 nights camping, and 24,000 miles just pulling the 5.0 down the road, we're extremely happy.

The Scamp was our first fiberglass molded camper and was great, but now we know Scamps designs are dated and they could use a redesign with new molds. The curved door and/or non-fiberglass wheel wells can cause problems. I could go on.

Casita was started when one of the Everland (sp?) brothers paired with a Texan to make an improved Scamp. We felt the design, fit and finish of the Casita were much improved over the Scamp (standard flat entry door and fiberglass molded wheel wells). I'd buy another Casita except. . .

Except the Escape is another step up from a Casita. They are more expensive though.

The only changes we would make is delete the AC and install another Maxx Fan in it's place (we're not AC people), purchase the second solar panel, and install a Zamp port for a portable solar panel (we now have a second solar panel with a Zamp port). Doesn't matter how much solar you have on your roof, there are times you need a portable because you camped in the shade and a sunny area is only 10-40' away.

Oh, we don't need and actually despise generators. Too often people bring cheap, loud generators to their campsites and try to run them all night. I can see a generator if you live in the heat down south, but we've used our AC's not even five nights in 30 years of camping. Yes, we live in Minnesota.

Make a list of what you HAVE to have, and then purchase a FG camper USED that meets those needs. After a few campers you'll probably find the right one. The longer you delay, the more camping experiences you miss.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #66

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've been to the Casita factory and its pretty underwhelming. At the same time, you are buying the trailer, not the showroom. They have a lot squeezed into that small plant.

I had a career in manufacturing management, so I have my share of opinions. If I owned Casita, I would outsource frame manufacturing, to free up space. Making steel frames has nothing in common skill wise with making fiberglass shells and interior parts. Texas is full of skilled welders, I'd find someone I trusted and move it out.

They are a small company, do not expect some glitzy showroom, polished factory floors, etc. Instead, look at the workers. What kind of turnover do they have? Do they seem to know their jobs? I got the impression that Casita has a stable workforce, which in the RV industry is very unusual. A knowledgeable, stable workforce is key to quality. No training program can replace stable workforce. The people in the office were knowledgeable too.

So overall, I was impressed with Casita. But you've got to look beyond the surface.

As to AC, its all about where you CAMP, and not so much where you LIVE. I used to live in western WA state, very mild weather, no AC required. But I camped in eastern WA. AC was a MUST!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #67

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
After reading your report on the travel trailers it was evident you do not know much about boondocking and even less about the operation of RV A/C units....forget batteries for powering A/C units....think generators and think “inverter generators” for quiet operation and get one in the area of 3,000 watts. RV A/C Units are power pigs. The power surge to start your A/C will cut off most 1000 watt and 2000 watt generators.
A generator will charge the battery to power your lights, water pump , and D/C power to allow your RV refrigerator to run off propane...your battery will supply power to your refrigerator to regulate temperature and propane flow (life is complicated).

There is a learning curve for successful and comfortable RV boondocking. Ask a lot of questions and take notes. The length of a your stay will depend on water management,
Waste tank capacity and both propane supply and gas for your generator......and don’t forget food!!!

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #68

Name: Craig
Arizona
Casita Battery Bin Needs Redesign

About a year ago, my wife and our 8-lb Chihuahua bought a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17. As an engineer, I am very pleased with the build quality. However, I wish Casita would make a couple mods or option that would make things easier for boondockers.

The Casita battery bin holds a single battery, EVEN THOUGH THERE IS ROOM FOR ANOTHER BATTERY TO THE RIGHT OF THE EXISTING BIN (when viewed from outside). I called and asked Casita about this "wasted space" and did not get an answer that convinced me that this space cannot hold a battery.

The alternative is to mount batteries on the tongue of the already tongue-heavy Spirit Deluxe. :-(

My other complaint is about the Casita is the placement of the Fantastic Fan on the roof. Placing the fan closer to the AC unit would make mounting solar panels much easier.

I installed my solar system, which consists of two Newpowa 100-watt panels (~$80 per panel) and a top-of-the-line Bogart Engineering TriMetric Battery Management System ($350).

QUESTION FOR CASITA: WHY DO THE CASITA RV'S NOT HAVE A DUAL-BATTERY BIN WHEN THERE APPEARS TO BE ROOM FOR SIDE BY SIDE BATTERIES?
Attached Thumbnails
House Area 1.jpg   Battery Area.jpg  

Rooftop 3.jpg   Electroncs Area Exterior 2.jpg  

Craig Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #69

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"The Casita battery bin holds a single battery, EVEN THOUGH THERE IS ROOM FOR ANOTHER BATTERY TO THE RIGHT OF THE EXISTING BIN (when viewed from outside). I called and asked Casita about this "wasted space" and did not get an answer that convinced me that this space cannot hold a battery."

I visited the Casita factory and asked similar questions. From the answers I received, it was clear they were NOT looking for suggestions or improvements (thanks for the input now go away). That is not unusual for a small company and one that has a waiting list for their product.

Being essentially sold out breeds complacency. "Why change it when we are sold out?" I used to manage factories with a similar upper management mindset. I tried to convince them: "If we continue to improve, we will stay ahead of the competition and to stay sold out (or making great $$)." I rarely got anywhere with that argument. It's just too easy to keep making the same thing, over and over again. Eventually the competition catches up (or surpasses you), you lose your advantage and the profits.

Not to say Casita hasn't made changes and improvements over the years, they have. But they are not reaching out for more great ideas.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
"The Casita battery bin holds a single battery, EVEN THOUGH THERE IS ROOM FOR ANOTHER BATTERY TO THE RIGHT OF THE EXISTING BIN (when viewed from outside). I called and asked Casita about this "wasted space" and did not get an answer that convinced me that this space cannot hold a battery."

I visited the Casita factory and asked similar questions. From the answers I received, it was clear they were NOT looking for suggestions or improvements (thanks for the input now go away). That is not unusual for a small company and one that has a waiting list for their product.

Being essentially sold out breeds complacency. "Why change it when we are sold out?" I used to manage factories with a similar upper management mindset. I tried to convince them: "If we continue to improve, we will stay ahead of the competition and to stay sold out (or making great $$)." I rarely got anywhere with that argument. It's just too easy to keep making the same thing, over and over again. Eventually the competition catches up (or surpasses you), you lose your advantage and the profits.

Not to say Casita hasn't made changes and improvements over the years, they have. But they are not reaching out for more great ideas.
If you use AGM or Lithium you can add a battery in that wasted space, since neither of them vent. It's done all the time.

Scamp/Casita haven't had real changes since the beginning of time. When the Scamp factory burnt down around 2002 (?) they lost the 13' mold(s) and only gave more headroom in the 13'.

OTOH, your argument has been going on since we purchased our Scamp in 2004 (?). Both Scamp and Casita have had some cosmetic changes, but that's all, yet both are still sold out well into the future. That is good business, and is shown by the waiting list to purchase one. They should have retained earnings for the future when they need to make changes if they have a good business model though.

Since Escape came out with the 5.0 fifth wheel in 2007 they have changed molds two other times. We own the third and current version. Each version improved on the previous version. I didn't want another camper with a specialized curved door (one of Scamps flaws) and that was corrected with the current version.

However, too many needless changes just for change sake bankrupts or puts companies in trouble, just look at the yearly cosmetic changes American automakers used to come out with every fall.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 08-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #71

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Its an interesting post

Its nice to see a consumer that checks out the factory before buying. Personally I was very impulsive during 2013 to 2014 when we went through a buying spree, scamp 13 then a rpod then a liberty deluxe all in eight months, we held on to the casita 4 years.

I reckon you will have to decide what level of perfection you want and how much will you pay for it. Our Casita was great for us, but eventually the wife got tired of squeezing past me, I never get tired of that. The company, as mentioned above, is pretty much stuck in a rut and improvements are ssssllloooowww. What the heck you cant fix the plumbing to allow for proper draining.

I did have fun doing a bunch of mods but not everyone wants to do that.

My choice in your shoes would go for a small oliver, they are pricey but if want modern, well made units go there. Another choice would be a lil snoozy, I hear they may be back. What ever you do do just pull the pin like me.
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #72

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Escape had a fire last year, lost the molds for the curved doors and hinges, so when your specialized curved door or hinge fails you'll need to be creative.

Enjoy,

Perry
So NOT true. Where in the world did you read this? Yes, Escape had a fire March 28, 2019. Besides, Escape doesn't manufacture the hinges.

Reace even responded to the fire and damage on the EscapeForum. Note, nothing about molds of any kind.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #73

Name: P
Washington
Go to YouTube and watch the most recent Slim Potatohead videos. He purchased a small fiberglass trailer a few months ago, and has been modifying it to suit his minimal needs. It looks like it is a 13 footer and is a Canadian brand that I've never heard of.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #74

Name: Craig
Arizona
Thank you, Bill and Perry, for educating me about why Casita is not likely to change a tried and true (and sold out well into the future) design. I've been hidden away in academia my entire life and couldn't imagine a company not trying to improve a great product in order to increase their customer base and customer satisfaction. The shortsightedness is mine.

Perry is correct that AGM and Lithium batteries can be located in RV living spaces without concerns about off-gassing. This is a somewhat expensive solution I will consider.

Another issue is access to the "wasted space" in the corner of the Casita: It is not accessible without making mods to the shell of the RV, like increasing the size of the access door to the battery compartment and potentially cutting open the battery confinement shell and building a new battery stabilizing rack. Ugh...

A new battery box on the on the tongue is looking more feasible, I'm afraid.
Craig Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
So NOT true. Where in the world did you read this? Yes, Escape had a fire March 28, 2019. Besides, Escape doesn't manufacture the hinges.

Reace even responded to the fire and damage on the EscapeForum. Note, nothing about molds of any kind.
My bad! I'm not perfect, and Terry will be more than happy to give examples!

OTOH, with the expanded edit time on this forum, I was able to edit my post.

If you or another moderator feels like removing our posts on my error feel free to do so.

Thanks,

Perry

Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Alan View Post
AGM and Lithium batteries can be located in RV living spaces without concerns about off-gassing. This is a somewhat expensive solution I will consider.

A new battery box on the on the tongue is looking more feasible, I'm afraid.
We purchased two new 6v 110ah Crown AGMs for $460 delivered to our door. That gives us 220 ah's, double a series 31.

There are other options besides Battleborn for lithium at around $500, so when our AGMs die in five years or so we'll go that route. According to Murphy, "You're batteries will never be big enough. It's the law or 'Supply and More Demand' "

You can mount the second AGM on the other side of the battery box and drill holes for the cables. We considered two AGMs for our 2007 Casita, but it was easier to just purchase a new Escape 5.0 with the large battery box.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #77

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
AC and microwave or hot plates are not practical from a battery. Battery stores about 50 amp hours of usable 12 volt power. To run a 110 volt appliance through an inverter draws 10 times the amps at 12 volt that the appliance is listed as needing at 110. So even a small 750 watt hot plate draws about 7 amps, so that becomes 70 amps of 12 volt battery storage. Less than an hour of run time.

AC can run off of 1000 watt generator (people will not enjoy you if you run that for extended periods around them) It probably can't start off of that since start up power demand is much higher than run time. Better choice is fantastic fan powered roof vent. Can pull a lot of air through the windows from the awning shaded side, and if reversible can be used like a ceiling fan to create a breeze inside in the cool of the evening.

Wife and myself with two dogs (35 & 42 lbs.) traveled and camped in a 13 ft. Scamp. Yes we were tent campers in the past, and backpacked and canoe camped. We also camped in a large self contained RV how to enjoy the situation is about adjusting practice and equipment to specifics of the situation.

Depending on dog prey drive the windows on a Scamp are close to same height as bed. Dog sees squirrel out window can be hard on screens.

Did you know that when a sleeping dog gets hot they raise their head and pant for a minutes or two to pump out some heat. If they share bed they will be blowing hot dog breath in your ear repeatedly in the middle of the night, if not now then eventually.

BTW - there is no situation where wet dogs with dirty paws go "well" in a camper, irrespective of camper or dog size.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #78

Name: Rose
Hutto
Hi there toferj,
We just accepted delivery of our 2020 Freedom Deluxe. We found the Captain’s chairs really comfortable. We did a lot of research before purchasing. We kept coming back to the Casita. It has consistently good reviews, holds its value, and didn’t break the bank. If the price had not been an object, we would have gone with the Oliver. But we would have walked out the door spending almost twice as much.
Get the AC (don’t be crazy, you’re in Texas). Get the 17’ deluxe model (bathroom).
After researching about leaks, maintenance, resale, etc., I wouldn’t purchase anything except a fiberglass unit.
You didn’t say how tall you were. My husband is 5’10 and I am 5’3”. We are both pretty round. It seems that height makes the difference on how large the unit feels. I wouldn’t be comfortable needing to stoop all the time.
We looked at the T@bs. Too small and you lose too much headroom with the teardrop shape.
Rose
Beautiful picture of your girls btw.
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #79

Name: Tofer
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Hi Rose! Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
Get the AC (don’t be crazy, you’re in Texas).
My goal is leave Texas in my rear view mirror and pretty much never return. I don't like Texas. I'll keep an address here for mail, vehicle registration and such, but that's about it. I might drive back through in December to visit my mom and dad for the holidays.

I went car camping for the first time in a very long time and the people across the way were running their generator all night long. I was sleeping outside in a hammock. I can see where others would find that annoying. I just have to remind myself that it's not backpacking and I won't always be able to avoid people.

Quote:
You didn’t say how tall you were. My husband is 5’10 and I am 5’3”. We are both pretty round. It seems that height makes the difference on how large the unit feels. I wouldn’t be comfortable needing to stoop all the time.
I'm 5'7". I could stand up okay in the main body, but I hit my head on the door every time I exited one of the models.

I know that the units without the bathrooms felt more roomy. I liked that.

Rose
Quote:
Beautiful picture of your girls btw.
Awww thank you.
toferj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #80

Name: Rose
Hutto
From you:
I’m m 5'7". I could stand up okay in the main body, but I hit my head on the door every time I exited one of the models.
I know that the units without the bathrooms felt more roomy. I liked that. From Rose:
At 5’3” I have to duck exiting the Casita! Don’t break my heart dissing on Texas. Maybe you don’t like Dallas? That’s okay. But Texas is a big state and there’s a lot to fall in love with.
Really the most important thing is to feel good about your purchase-that’s it’s the right fit for you. Sounds like you would enjoy boondocking more as most of those places do not allow generators and attract a more adventuresome demographic (younger).
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita