Hi! We just got a cute Casita! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
"Please feel free to laugh at our expense..."

We're NOT laughing AT you; we're laughing WITH you as we ALL made our own share of mistakes. At RV Boot Camp, you will be AMAZED at how much you will learn. Although RVBC has great handouts (which I referred to LONG afterwards), be prepared to take LOTS of notes. I'm REALLY glad to hear things are working out well for you.
Regards,
John

PS: that bypass valve that needed to be turned to provide you with hot water; sometimes, when you turn the handle, the valve itself doesn't turn because it's stuck. A few "taps" with the handle of a screwdriver or hammer is usually enough to "unstick" the valve so that it will turn (you don't need to beat the crap out of it). Also, re hot water; if you have the outside shower AND the actual knobs are left open (the shutoff on the handheld unit is shut off but the valves have been left open) said open knobs allow mixing of hot and cold water resulting in only tepid water INSIDE. AFTER using the outside shower, just be sure to TURN OFF the actual outside valves. There's a newbie mistake you won't have to make!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #22

Name: Emil and Susan
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I like the idea that you're laughing AT us because with COVID, we can all use some laughter. We were certainly laughing at ourselves.

Thanks to everyone, we are planning our next outing with HOT WATER!! Moab, only a short drive from where we live but it will be more comfortable with a warm shower at the end of the day.

Thanks again!! I am sure when we get back, we will have more questions.

Susan
Casita Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #23

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Moab is a BEAUTIFUL place. I spent several weeks in that area back when I had my Casita. Short drives to a number of Nation Parks and other areas of interest. I expect you'll have a GREAT time!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #24

Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Congratulations on your new Casita. It's great to get the advice you need from this website and the people here. We're still looking for our camper, and I'm sure I'll have already learned a lot when we find it. Still have yet to see one local
Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #25

Colorado
We received the Eileen Glick Casita book yesterday! Great Resource Book Thank you FLYGUY!!
Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #26

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldballer View Post
Congratulations on your new Casita. It's great to get the advice you need from this website and the people here. We're still looking for our camper, and I'm sure I'll have already learned a lot when we find it. Still have yet to see one local
We drove from Colorado to Texas to get our Casita. There wasn't much available locally plus if there was one in good condition, it was gone very quickly. Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Living in Colorado you need to learn how to "winterize" that cute new to you Casita. I made the mistake one time many years ago of not draining my hot water tank properly. Very expensive $400 plus mistake that didn't need to happen. Get winterized before the first frost lol.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Casita

Hi, congrats on getting your Casita. We were also tent campers, for years, so once we got our Casita, we felt like we were in the lap of luxury. We got our first one, a SD in 2007 and liked it very much. Several years ago we sold it and got our second Casita, a Liberty to get the twin bed setup and slightly larger kitchen area. But even after all these years we still appreciate all the many conveniences of our little egg compared to the tent. It is especially great when traveling, to just pop back there for a bathroom break or to enjoy a relaxing meal. So, welcome and Happy Trails!
kate raslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Alabama
Try to make Rocky Mt Rendezvous S. CO next July or Aug . See rally section here or casita forum
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #30

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
I had that problem.
There is actually a rubber black button
near where you flip on the electric power to the water heater.
This the reset to the circuit breaker that you will have to reset.

Also, the toggle switch (at least ours) has up being off and down being on. Welcome to the the Casita family. We went on a jaunt from Kansas City to Seattle and back stopping ion all manner of wonderful parks including Yellowstone.

We also went on some back roads and various water leaks popped up due to the jarring that are now all tightened.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #31

Colorado
Thanks for the winterizing tip....I’m only on page A-11of the casita book. I’ve got a long way to go and a lot to learn plus figure out what I need to learn, like winterizing.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
you got it all wrong. you don't winterize, you drive south for the winter. Probably end up in Quartzsite.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #33

Colorado
I wish...
Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #34

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabush View Post
I had that problem.
There is actually a rubber black button
near where you flip on the electric power to the water heater.
This the reset to the circuit breaker that you will have to reset.

Also, the toggle switch (at least ours) has up being off and down being on. Welcome to the the Casita family. We went on a jaunt from Kansas City to Seattle and back stopping ion all manner of wonderful parks including Yellowstone.

We also went on some back roads and various water leaks popped up due to the jarring that are now all tightened.
I just read about the reset button. All these things everyone but us know about. Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #35

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate raslavsky View Post
Hi, congrats on getting your Casita. We were also tent campers, for years, so once we got our Casita, we felt like we were in the lap of luxury. We got our first one, a SD in 2007 and liked it very much. Several years ago we sold it and got our second Casita, a Liberty to get the twin bed setup and slightly larger kitchen area. But even after all these years we still appreciate all the many conveniences of our little egg compared to the tent. It is especially great when traveling, to just pop back there for a bathroom break or to enjoy a relaxing meal. So, welcome and Happy Trails!
The Independence wasnt my first choice but it was the only one available but now I love it. I love the twin bed setup - no climbing over anyone to get to the bathroom!! hehehe
Old 09-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #36

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMaria View Post
Try to make Rocky Mt Rendezvous S. CO next July or Aug . See rally section here or casita forum
Thanks. We will look into it!!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #37

Name: Babs
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Newbie View Post
Thank you for your quick and helpful response. We were hooked up to shore power and we did switch the ac on. We also checked for water and there appeared to be water. We will have the element checked. Thanks again for your help.
I hope I don’t insult you, but you do know where the switch is to turn on the gas part of the hot water heater? Did your stove work so you know your propane was coming into the trailer? Not to undermine this wonderful site because their are many Casita owners on it, but Casitaforum.com has a lot of Casita-specific information and Casita Life is a good FB site for help.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #38

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
I hope I don’t insult you, but you do know where the switch is to turn on the gas part of the hot water heater? Did your stove work so you know your propane was coming into the trailer? Not to undermine this wonderful site because their are many Casita owners on it, but Casitaforum.com has a lot of Casita-specific information and Casita Life is a good FB site for help.
I am not easily insulted...trust me. I am a former teacher so I have very thick skin. And YES and YES..we think we have water heater and propane figured out but after our next trip, I might be asking more questions!! I will look into Casitaforum...strength in numbers!!
Old 09-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #39

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
I worked in an electrical lab and was flummoxed by that circuit breaker because it wasn’t where all the other relays live in the electrical panel.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #40

Name: Nancy
Trailer: 2019 Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe
North Carolina
For electric heating: Yes, switch in panel on outside left of trailer in hot water compartment must be on. But make sure that your hot water breaker switch is also ON which is located inside of the trailer, left side towards the back near the floor (where the fuses are). I picked up my 2019 SD on a Friday and took cold showers all weekend until I went back to Casita on Monday and they turned on the breaker. Also in my experience, if you have shore power and run the air conditioning and fridge on electric, you cannot also run the hot water on electric without tripping the breaker. I’ve found that shore power management is best with A/C using electric (no other option here unless you’re using a generator), fridge on propane and hot water heater on propane. I leave my hot water heater on propane when I’m in a campground so I know that I have hot water when I want it. With the two 20 lb propane tanked filled, I’ve run over 10 days with this setup and have NEVER run out of propane. So I disagree with another comment that the hot water heater eats lots of propane if left on. It probably takes more propane to keep heating water from cold to hot than to just maintain hot water by leaving it on propane. What does eat lots of propane is the furnace in winter if you are so equipped. And yeah, a new trailer is a learning curve—you are not alone!!!!!
Skyedog in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita