Hi! We just got a cute Casita! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 05:52 AM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Newbie View Post
We received the Eileen Glick Casita book yesterday! Great Resource Book Thank you FLYGUY!!
You're welcome. If I remember correctly, it isn't necessary to read Eileen's book in a particular order. Winterizing a Casita isn't rocket science BUT, it IS important to get it right. Make SURE that 110VAC switch is OFF before you drain the water AND, allow the hot water to cool before you remove the drain plug (several hours / overnight with the propane and electric power OFF will suffice). If you have an air compressor, you can use an inexpensive "blow out plug" to get most of the water out of the supply lines. Once you've done it a couple of times, winterizing can be done in well under an hour. A gallon or two of pink RV antifreeze in the pipes and toilet and you'll be done.

You're going to have a GREAT time in your "egg"!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #42

Name: Emil and Susan
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyedog in NC View Post
For electric heating: Yes, switch in panel on outside left of trailer in hot water compartment must be on. But make sure that your hot water breaker switch is also ON which is located inside of the trailer, left side towards the back near the floor (where the fuses are). I picked up my 2019 SD on a Friday and took cold showers all weekend until I went back to Casita on Monday and they turned on the breaker. Also in my experience, if you have shore power and run the air conditioning and fridge on electric, you cannot also run the hot water on electric without tripping the breaker. I’ve found that shore power management is best with A/C using electric (no other option here unless you’re using a generator), fridge on propane and hot water heater on propane. I leave my hot water heater on propane when I’m in a campground so I know that I have hot water when I want it. With the two 20 lb propane tanked filled, I’ve run over 10 days with this setup and have NEVER run out of propane. So I disagree with another comment that the hot water heater eats lots of propane if left on. It probably takes more propane to keep heating water from cold to hot than to just maintain hot water by leaving it on propane. What does eat lots of propane is the furnace in winter if you are so equipped. And yeah, a new trailer is a learning curve—you are not alone!!!!!
You are not alone...great song from Linkin Park! We will be "trying" new tips and ideas from everyone. Like a experienced RVer told us...Something will go wrong with every trip just don't get flustered. Thanks for the advice!!
Casita Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #43

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You're welcome. If I remember correctly, it isn't necessary to read Eileen's book in a particular order. Winterizing a Casita isn't rocket science BUT, it IS important to get it right. Make SURE that 110VAC switch is OFF before you drain the water AND, allow the hot water to cool before you remove the drain plug (several hours / overnight with the propane and electric power OFF will suffice). If you have an air compressor, you can use an inexpensive "blow out plug" to get most of the water out of the supply lines. Once you've done it a couple of times, winterizing can be done in well under an hour. A gallon or two of pink RV antifreeze in the pipes and toilet and you'll be done.

You're going to have a GREAT time in your "egg"!
Thanks again!! I can use all your tips and tricks!! The Glick book will be traveling with. It's got a ton of information. We already love our egg!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #44

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
I highly second FlyGuy's recommendation for RV Boot Camp. Living in New England, I wasn't going to get there before starting my RV life. So I did the RV Online University instead -- very much the same material. Also, Casita told me there are many videos on YouTube, which maybe they even put on there, that tell you all kinds of stuff you need to know. My two newbie goofs (just FYI so you can avoid them) -- Always be sure to chock the wheels before unhitching. (Oh yes, even though it felt like the camper was on a flat campsite, it slid on it's foot about 10' and I had to get roadside assistance to move it around so I could rehitch.) And disconnect the 7 prong from your car if the car is turned off for more than an hour, or the camper will drain the electricity from the car battery and you won't be able to start the car. (I found this out after camping at a Walmart overnight when I didn't know you have to unplug the 7 prong cord.) Ah well, everything is a learning experience and with the right attitude, that's OK.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #45

Name: George
Texas
[Did you flip switch in water heater compartment?
Newbie;791002]We are newbies to the RV world. We thought joining this community, we could find help with our million questions and meet new people. We are a little overwhelmed with everything right now but enjoy traveling in a safe environment. We went on a ten day trip after having our 2018 Casita Independence for two weeks. We can't decide if that was brave or dumb. Here's our first question: The only problem was that we could get our hot water heater to heat water using the electrical. We watched numerous YouTube videos and read the manual. Any Casita owners have suggestions? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
gpsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #46

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsparks View Post
[Did you flip switch in water heater compartment?
Newbie;791002]We are newbies to the RV world. We thought joining this community, we could find help with our million questions and meet new people. We are a little overwhelmed with everything right now but enjoy traveling in a safe environment. We went on a ten day trip after having our 2018 Casita Independence for two weeks. We can't decide if that was brave or dumb. Here's our first question: The only problem was that we could get our hot water heater to heat water using the electrical. We watched numerous YouTube videos and read the manual. Any Casita owners have suggestions? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #47

Colorado
We are currently in Moab, Utah. It’s cold and rainy but WE HAVE HOT WATER!! Thanks to everyone who helped getting us to this stage.

Here’s the next project/problem .our refrigerator isn’t getting super cold. We ended up putting food that had to stay cold in our freezer but even after a couple days isn’t frozen.. Left like fruits/veggies in fridge part but it’s not super cold. It’s a Dometic 2454.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #48

Colorado
Quote:
We are currently in Moab, Utah. It’s cold and rainy but WE HAVE HOT WATER!! Thanks to everyone who helped getting us to this stage.

Here’s the next project/problem .our refrigerator isn’t getting super cold. We ended up putting food that had to stay cold in our freezer but even after a couple days isn’t frozen.. Left like fruits/veggies in fridge part but it’s not super cold. It’s a Dometic 2454.
Thanks to everyone...we, Casita Newbies, feel a little more comfortable. We have already been to 12 states! We have hot water and a fridge that works great - thanks for all of your support!!
Old 10-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #49

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
The switch

Quote:
Thank you for your quick and helpful response. We were hooked up to shore power and we did switch the ac on. We also checked for water and there appeared to be water. We will have the element checked. Thanks again for your help.
There’s a switch, if you open the outside compartment to the water heater unit you should find a switch (left lower area, may be hidden) it is the electric power switch to heat the water.
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita