Awning alternative for Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 AM   #41

Name: Trish Ann
Trailer: Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Will ck it out thanks!
Trish Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #42

Name: Gaenor
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Has anyone tried the add a room from bus depot? They come with optional suction cups for attaching, the sides can be lifted to become added canopies, and you can add an extra little room inside for the portapotty! They look pretty great from here, but I've never tried the giant suction cups for anything.
Gaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #43

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
The Shady Boy is listed as being 10' W x 6' D for shade -- do you find that to be big enough for when the sun is about 2p, 3p in the afternoon? Versus something that is maybe 8' or so?
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:07 PM   #44

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Thompson View Post
The Shady Boy is listed as being 10' W x 6' D for shade -- do you find that to be big enough for when the sun is about 2p, 3p in the afternoon? Versus something that is maybe 8' or so?
You can pull the front of the awning down quite a bit to help with shade, it worked well for us in the ot 93F sun in the upper elevations of Big Bend National Park in Texas. It won't provide as much shade as the large awning, but it's much cheaper and much much lighter.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #45

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
You can pull the front of the awning down quite a bit to help with shade, it worked well for us in the ot 93F sun in the upper elevations of Big Bend National Park in Texas. It won't provide as much shade as the large awning, but it's much cheaper and much much lighter.
Thanks for the answer. Is there any ability to hang an additional wall off the front? ShadyBoy doesn't sell, but an after market mod? Also, is the body that it is stored in waterproof? I live in the Seattle area and wonder how it will fare over a rainy winter if not covered (mold inside, etc). Thanks!
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #46

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Thompson View Post
Thanks for the answer. Is there any ability to hang an additional wall off the front? ShadyBoy doesn't sell, but an after market mod? Also, is the body that it is stored in waterproof? I live in the Seattle area and wonder how it will fare over a rainy winter if not covered (mold inside, etc). Thanks!
The way it is designed you won't be able to hang very much unless it is very light weight like a ripstop nylon extension shade wall or something lightweight like that. The enclosure itself is not totally waterproof, water can enter from the ends, but it is easy to remove the material and store that part of the awning indoors. I have a cover over my scamp and that is enough to keep the awning dry in our Chicago winters.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #47

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I had an awning mounted to the rail on the boler.
Too small, too low and pain to set up and take down.
Bought a 10x10 straight wall with bug screens and privacy panels.
It goes up in a few minutes, I set it close to the boler and tie the legs to the front and back frame on the trailer and maybe the picnic table if handy. It has worked for years a many miles. Travels well as the case it fits in lays across the floor door to fridge perfectly.
Good luck with your decision.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00001416_zps9f319aaa.jpg  
Old 04-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #48

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
How is the awning rail attached to your camper. Does it show through on the inside ceiling or wall?
Nancy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy. View Post
How is the awning rail attached to your camper. Does it show through on the inside ceiling or wall?
There are a number of ways to attach an awning, depending on its type, size, and weight.

For a smaller, removable awning, I'd use 3M VHB tape to attach the rail. For a larger awning or a bag awning you will leave attached for towing, I'd use the tape plus a few aluminum rivets for additional strength. The rivets might make a small bump in the rat fur. Apply a dab of sealant just before you pull each rivet.

For a heavier, rigid case awning, I'd use SS bolts with fender washers for the mounting brackets. You can make slits in the lining to install and glue it back for a neat appearance. In addition to a dab of sealant, apply non-permanent thread locking compound if it's going to be a hidden installation.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp