SHTF home..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
SHTF home.....

You know...just in case, whatever scenario you can come up with.

Anyway, I got a fairly good deal on this 1996 16' SD. So, I started making it my own....as you will see.
I replaced the water lines except the ones under the breakfast area up to the shower.
I replaced the water heater with one I can flip a switch thats inside the cabin and it comes on.
I replaced the fridge with a 12/110v Danfoss compressor type.
I replaced the heater with a Cubic Grizzly wood stove.
I have roll out storage under the permanent bed.
These are things I did for me.
One thing I haven't done yet but am about two seconds away from doing is taking the awning off. I love it when extended, but cannot get it to properly roll up.
It has made me feel like a "Darrel" (smile if you get it).
I hate that dirt and everything else gets stuck on top of it.
I can do fiberglass work so thats not a problem.
My plan would be to put up a bag awning if I do take the Dometic down.
My biggest problem right now is electrical . I believe ima have to replace the converter. It wouldn't charge the battery past 12.1 last summer.
I have 2 separate solar systems (one for fridge and one for everything else). But, would still like the option of a converter.
The other elec prob is the 7 pin. According to the diagrams I have looked up, my wires don't match - I can make it work except for the brake lights. The left and right turns come on but not the bright brake lights. Also the rear running lights seem dim to me.
One thing I'd like to do and can't find, is do away with the 30 amp extension cord and put a 30 amp plug in where the cord comes out of the body. Anyone have a link to such an animal?
Here's some pictures....sorry, its dirty.
Couldn't figure out how to add comments under each pic....
1) Cubic Mini Grizzly..I also have one of those fans that is heat activated. Put it on the stove, it gets hot and starts turning.
2) sideways pic is the cabinet i built . It serves as a wood box.
3) 42 lt. Fridge its on a roll out shelf. When finished, will have a drawer on top.
4) Battery and charge controller for fridge is where the microwave was. I don't use microwaves. Still have it though.
5) this is where I'd like to put the 30 amp plug in.
Thanks for reading.
Any and all input is welcome.
5)
Attached Thumbnails
20200411_111449.jpg   20201022_101934.jpg  

20201022_102009.jpg   20201022_102201.jpg  

20201022_102243.jpg  
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I would love to have a small woodstove in my Bigfoot. I just can't seem to find the space to put it.

I got rid of my cord and converted it to a twist lock outlet on the side of the trailer and a cord end I put on the end of the cord that use to be hard wired. It works great. I got it off of Amazon just google RV 125v 30amp twist lock plug. I have attached a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
plug.png  
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would look into adding a Progressive Dynamics charge Wizzard to your current load center To deal with the battery charge issue. their charger works extremely well. find out what model your system is then give them a call.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I would love to have a small woodstove in my Bigfoot. I just can't seem to find the space to put it.

If your trailer is insured, you'd best check with your insurance company. I had a small wood stove in my house. My insurance company took note. I pulled it because conforming to regulations was too arduous.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post

I got rid of my cord and converted it to a twist lock outlet on the side of the trailer and a cord end I put on the end of the cord that use to be hard wired. It works great. I got it off of Amazon just google RV 125v 30amp twist lock plug. I have attached a picture of it.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I would look into adding a Progressive Dynamics charge Wizzard to your current load center To deal with the battery charge issue. their charger works extremely well. find out what model your system is then give them a call.
I put a PD 45 amp in my last trailer (UHaul) . It worked great!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If your trailer is insured, you'd best check with your insurance company. I had a small wood stove in my house. My insurance company took note. I pulled it because conforming to regulations was too arduous.
My trailer is just insured with AAA.
Im not worried about it but it is duly noted. These small wood styles were originally made for boat cabins. I figure I may have to pay a few more$ but to me, its worth it.
Right now, I don't even have a TV! 😃
Old 11-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don’t know if this applies to your wiring, but a few years back I bought an enclosed cargo trailer with an electric brake axle and (missing) 7 pin connector. The seller’s dog had chewed the connector off so he knocked a $100 off the price. It drove me crazy getting the lights to work, and work correctly after I installed a new plug.

It turned out that this trailer was originally wired for a 4 wire plug, and then when the electric brake axle was installed they added wires so it did not match up color wise to what a 7 pin system should have been. What was especially maddening was things worked, just not correctly.

I finally backed into fixing it by falling back on checking the usual culprit, grounding. The ground was not really at fault, just that wires were hooked up wrong so things worked (incorrectly) because juice was back-feeding through the ground.

Sorry if this is of no help but your description does sound similar. Maybe for archival purposes it may help somebody anyway. I would hate to know I went through all the aggravation for a one-off.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Mike; what awning do you have? Is it the Catalina 2500 ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #10

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I don’t know if this applies to your wiring, but a few years back I bought an enclosed cargo trailer with an electric brake axle and (missing) 7 pin connector. The seller’s dog had chewed the connector off so he knocked a $100 off the price. It drove me crazy getting the lights to work, and work correctly after I installed a new plug.

It turned out that this trailer was originally wired for a 4 wire plug, and then when the electric brake axle was installed they added wires so it did not match up color wise to what a 7 pin system should have been. What was especially maddening was things worked, just not correctly.

I finally backed into fixing it by falling back on checking the usual culprit, grounding. The ground was not really at fault, just that wires were hooked up wrong so things worked (incorrectly) because juice was back-feeding through the ground.

Sorry if this is of no help but your description does sound similar. Maybe for archival purposes it may help somebody anyway. I would hate to know I went through all the aggravation for a one-off.
Thanks for the reply. I finally got all the wires (and bulbs) working. I hooked up the plug according to Bargman wiring . Not all the wires are the right color for the intended purpose, but they should work.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #11

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Mike; what awning do you have? Is it the Catalina 2500 ?
Yes, that's what is still up there.
I've been working on the solar system(s).
I have one 100 W permanently mounted on top that is for the fridge only.
I have another 135W homemade "suitcase". Its for the interior lights, water pump, water heater and 12v tv. It plugs into a BMW type power port and has about 12 feet of wire to move around.

My plan is to tie another port into fridge wiring so I can plug extra power in in case of very hot weather (that makes the fridge run more).

Then the solar will be done and I'll make decision on the awning....

Tags
casita