New member looking for a 13' Scamp or similar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: In the market
CA
New member looking for a 13' Scamp or similar

Hi there,

My name is Katie and I'm excited to be a new member of this community. I'm in the market for a 13' Scamp, Casita, Burro, Boler trailer or similar. Preferably with a bathroom but that is not a make-or-break, any condition (I love a fixer-upper), and I will travel far (I'm in Southern California). My dream is to live remotely while finishing grad school then continue to travel when things open back up again.

I've gathered some helpful advice in these threads and will keep an eye out on Craigslist, the Scamp and Casita forums, post a 'wanted' ad, and will be ready to pounce when the right one comes along! Thanks to anyone reading this post
Katie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome to our forum! Here has been my formula for finding trailers!

1 check daily it will get to almost hourly all your search places

2 if one found call owner, be prepared to dicker but today who knows,

3 have your limit set

4 be prepared to offer a refundable deposit if you work out a deal

5 have some trick questions to make sure the seller is on the up and up

6 be prepared meaning have your rig set up, have you cash ready and be

ready to roll i mean almost the next day!

We got deals on both our trailers this way!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Katie!

Full wet baths are fairly rare in 13'ers. Scamps are the most common, followed by Casita, with a few Trilliums floating around. Figure on a loaded weight of 1800-2100# for a bath model, 1500-1800 for a no bath unit.

Do you have a vehicle in mind to tow with?

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Caution, fixer uppers are typically just not cosmetic: think fiberglass repair, floor and axle replacement and non-functioning electric and appliances.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Caution, fixer uppers are typically just not cosmetic: think fiberglass repair, floor and axle replacement and non-functioning electric and appliances.

yes stay away. actually you can see by the deteriation to the outside they are pretty much shot!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Happy camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T. View Post
Hi there,

My name is Katie and I'm excited to be a new member of this community. I'm in the market for a 13' Scamp, Casita, Burro, Boler trailer or similar. Preferably with a bathroom but that is not a make-or-break, any condition (I love a fixer-upper), and I will travel far (I'm in Southern California). My dream is to live remotely while finishing grad school then continue to travel when things open back up again.

I've gathered some helpful advice in these threads and will keep an eye out on Craigslist, the Scamp and Casita forums, post a 'wanted' ad, and will be ready to pounce when the right one comes along! Thanks to anyone reading this post
Will need bigger for bathroom but maybe portable Dock edge toilet or go a little bigger the 1700 boler (17') has a washroom with toilet and may have as shower, you can get a stove instead of a stove top in some cases. They seem to be rare in a boler but they did have rollout awning. Furnace is a great idea they work automatic when needed. You would need the right tow vehicle though.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #7

CA
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide advice, everyone! I have a 2015 Subaru Forester which has a pretty low tow capacity and hadn't thought of the bathroom adding extra weight. I am negotiating with a neighbor about buying his truck (2014 Nissan Frontier) so I will likely need to complete that process before I purchase. I will also heed more caution when looking at fixer-uppers, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I appreciate all the feedback and will definitely make use of it in my search!!
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Here is a good site

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

CA
Thank you, Alan!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #10

Missouri
i pull our 13f n/b no brakes pretty easily with our ford edge 2.0. 1200lb supposed rating!

we drive 60 and have been up and down many mountains no problem. dont drive in d use 2nd!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #11

CA
Hi Bob - thanks, that's some food for thought. I think my Forester has a 1200lb tow capacity as well. I've heard there can be issues with insurance if the trailer is weighted too close to the tow capacity, which is what my boyfriend is concerned about. I will give them a call and learn more because it seems like plenty of people pull 13ft Scamps quite easily with lower tow capacities
Old 02-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Late model Foresters have a 1500# rating. You might pull a lightly-optioned, lightly loaded Scamp 13, but it'll be marginal. Older Foresters had a higher rating, but were limited by a low 200# tongue weight rating.

Towing in excess of your vehicle's rated limits is risky from a mechanical and safety standpoint. Sure there's always someone doing it, but you rarely hear how long it lasted or how it ended.

I recommend a minimum 2000# rating for a 13' Scamp, and that assumes two people traveling lightly and driving conservatively. We travel with four people and bicycles, and we tow regularly in mountains and high elevations, so our 3500# rated mid-sized Pilot is a better choice for us.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

CA
Jon - Thanks for your sound advice. I know it would give us a lot of peace of mind and be safer to have a much higher tow capacity. I'm kicking myself for not looking at tow capacity before buying my Forester years back, although it's been a great car otherwise. I appreciate your advice!

Tags
scamp