Questions about Scamp 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
for polish i use zep in 1 gal after about 5 coats you will see a difference then every once in awhile use ammonia to take it off and redo usually 2 years!

I have 1 fuse on my postive side of my battery to furnish 12v light i have moved to leds but instead of 12v lights i have a lot of h/frieght lights!

i have tried to keep everything simple as we boonedock!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
and dont run tires at max and dont drive 80mph!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp
UT
Thanks for continued input!
Anyone have solution to clean up black plastic trim around stone shield and entry door.

Also, my son has gifted me solar panel setup! He had a bunch leftover from his, so he is helping me with mine. It should help me stay off grid a little longer. As it comes together I can tell you what we did, if there is interest.
Tkemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
1]
4] get some liquid carwash soap and make a thick solution with water (just a bit slimey) then use purple scotchbrite as a sponge to scrub the outside. Works great! then wax it.
I have a 1993 scamp 16. I was at a KOA (Dayton KOA great place with really caring managment) and mentioned my next stop was a place that he knew had the dreaded 10 year rule. He told he that it probably would not be a problem if my unit looked good and pointed out (justifiably) that it currently did not. It kind of what was being discribed.

I used a power washer a couple times. Then used wetting and vinegar and a dish scrubber to remove the lichens.Then power washed it again. Once it was all clean I waxed it with some liquid car wax. I cleaned all the windows and applied rainex. I thought that I would have to repaint the window frames but cleaning and scrubbing got them good too. I also repainted the hitch back to black instead of dingy dark gray with rust. And this seems to have worked. I pulled in and another scamp 16 was right in front of me. It was a 2003. It looked like mine did ;-) I had no problems. I think they sent him on his way.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:10 PM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkemple View Post
I just purchased a 92 Scamp 16 and am slowly getting it sorted out. I have already gotten some good info from existing threads and thank those who take the time to help out. I have many questions, but here are a few:
From previous threads I found the two 30 A fuses. One was corroded and the cause of no interior lights. Why not run a wire from the battery to the inside of the camper and have the fuse(s) out of the weather? Also, can I eliminate one? Why 2 fuses?

I ended up having problems with the existing converter. Now the existing one was a 15 amp unit and the battery just on the other end of the wiring in the camper. It did have a fuse in front hiden under the bunk. Then one of the battery. Now I am a ham radio operator and also run my lap top from the 12 volt system so the converter was failing and was under power anyway. So I did some shopping. I got a much heavier converter with multiple separately fused outputs and then use one for most of the existing camper wiring. And another for what I added. I did use a third for the furnace. I selected the converter for the fact it had a seperate battery connection. When there is no AC then the battery powers the lines from the converter through the converter. When there is AC there is a seperate battery charger and maintainer that keeps the battery good. More expensive, but so far well worth it.

Now installing this did involve running a seperate line from the battery to the converter in the back. That is not hard if you know doing wiring. and which ham does not ;-) Make sure that you do plenty of protecting from chafing. I actually used 10 gage industrial drop cord wire.

Now there is a fuse in the battery box. The original one was one designed for inside a vehicle and protected from the elements. I use one that is sealed. Harder to check/change. But have no problems.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp