Towing Scamp 13' with Subaru Outback 2016 2.5 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #21

Name: Diana
Trailer: Scamp
California
We Tow 16' Scamp with our Subaru Outback with Ease!

We're new Scamp owners & did a lot of research to make sure towing a 16' Scamp with our Outback was safe. First of all, we called Scamp & they said it's safe & that a lot of Outback owners tow 16' Scamps.

The Outback's tow package does look like a bike tow package (& we couldn't find any info on it). So we had ours examined by trailer professionals who inspected it & said it was rated to handle the weight. We added a sway bar for extra safety & of course, managed our tongue weight. Going uphill on California mountains revs the engine a bit and we keep it under 55 mph when it strains. But truly, it's *fine*. Just took a three hour, hilly trip with absolutely no problems.

As for bottoming out, we have a super-steep driveway & to our surprise, haven't scraped bottom yet there - or on rocky roads.

Happy, safe trails to you!!
Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #22

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the market
SUN VALLEY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Here's a video that tells you much about towing a 13' SCAMP with a Subaru. While not the Subaru you are looking at, the man in the "man bun" tells you so much more. I wish I had watched this before I got a TV and/or trailer.

BTW, videos from London (and Australia)have been especially helpful to me as I researched tow vehicles. Check them out on YouTube. Here's one...

We LOVED our 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan and bought our new 2011 SCAMP 13' according to this Subaru's towing ability. The two problems we had were the low ground clearance resulting in the hitch hitting speed bumps and steep (or not so steep) driveways with or without the trailer in tow. The other issue was having to get an after market hitch as the manufacturer installed hitch is only good for bicycle racks.

Our "new" 2018 tow vehicle is a Mazda CX-5, a compact SUV. (I'm still a HUGE fan of Subaru vehicles but they were too pricey for us.) We are totally happy with it as it has more "oomph" than the Legacy and tows smoothly in the mountains and plains. Once again, we had to get an after market hitch which is ugly. I know, "Who chooses a hitch because it's beautiful?". Well I, the "Gleeful Glamper" does care, but I've learned to live with it. The hitch is functional and does its job.

Best of luck with whichever choice you make. You'll have a GREAT time camping with the SCAMP!
I tried to reply to your post but cannot find it. I am so excited to see your post. I bought a 2019 CX5 with the plan to use it to tow a 13 ft Scamp when I retire in December. I was subsequently told I could not tow with it and see your success gives me great hope. I have a lot of questions: Do you have to minimize packing the camper? Do you have any difficulty going into the mountains? Do you have any difficulty hitching/leveling the camper? I have more questions if I haven't worn you out yet.
Karen in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #23

Name: Gail
Trailer: 2020 Scamp 16 ft
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsturm View Post
Anyone have experince towing Scamp 13' (bunk - nothing else) with a Subaru Outback 2.5 engine? We tow about 5-6 times a year, live in Colorado so a Colorado pass or two a year and maybe a 8-10hr drive to yellowstone or down south to Sedona. I'm a slow driver and will have brake contrller installed. I tihnk fully loaded we'll be at around max 1800 with me my wife and toddler + gear. Outback has 2,700lb tow capacity. Anything I should be worried about with this tow setup? If I had money for a bigger vehicle I wold buy that but money is tight and outback is cheapest reliable and meets my needs for non-towing that I can find.
I tow my 16 foot Scamp with a 2018 Subaru outback touring edition and don’t have any trouble. I towed the trailer new from Minnesota, and I’ve been all over Washington Oregon and Northern California. I never go over 60 and I am admittedly not able to fly over mountain passes but I get there. I’m a single woman in my 70’s and don’t need a lot of “extras” so I load carefully. My tongue weight is 210 and trailer weight meets vehicle specs. So far so good.
tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Subaru and towing

I’ve towed a 16’ Casita Liberty Deluxe with an Outback for years. Had it out in Jan. 2021 from Mississippi to KY. and got 22 mpg at 58 mph. We’re selling it this Spring and picking up a new Oliver Elite II towed with a GMC PU .....and not near the mileage.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
towing

Not a suburu here but a 2015 ford edge 2.0 fwd tugging a 13f scamp. I would take it anywhere and i have!

If you are a newbie we all were one once right? Learn somewhere not in the mountains!

Learn you dont need to blast down the highway, budget your time you are on vacation right?

I tug the edge in 2 this is if you dont want to cook your transmission? Our trailer has no brakes none needed on a 13! I use the transmission and weight of the car for brakes!

I watch the traffic learn to be patient, I drive 55 to 60 remember what your tires are rated for?

I have paddle shift learn to judge hills going up and when you go down its the same speed old truckers advice and it works!

Most of all do not do anything unsafe for you or your passengers!

Learn to enjoy yourself
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #26

Name: Amie
Trailer: shopping
Winlaw
towing with subaru outback

We began our Boler journey this past summer and towed with my outback. I can't say it was always fun. Without the breaking system, mountain corners were sometimes scary for me. The difference in pulling the Boler with our truck was night and day (like there wasn't a trailer back there ). With the Subaru, i was hyper -ware of the trailer at all times and felt it on the turns back there. On steep inclines we held up traffic. I traveled over BC Canada mountain passes and highways. We had three mountain bikes in there , no water or propane.
So my answer is , yes it pulls it, but comfort and safety may depend on where you are traveling. I have attempted to attach 2 photos here.
Attached Thumbnails
C72F269C-8DD0-46B2-9DCE-3CE3E78570D0.jpg   8EDF158E-8441-48EA-98B3-08DAA357630D.jpg  

bolercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #27

Missouri
big trucks hold up traffic too! stop worrying do your thing! scared around corners indicates driving too fast!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #28

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you read the towing section of the manual for the 2020 Outback states:

Trailer brakes are required when
the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs
(453 kg).

I tow with a 2017 Crosstrek and the trailer brakes have saved me at least twice so far. I had people pull out in front of me and not accelerate and I doubt I could have slowed down enough without trailer brakes to avoid the clueless drivers. One blew through a stop sign and didn't start to accelerate until after I had come to nearly a complete stop right behind them with my horn going constantly. I even run with my lights on during the day, didn't matter to them they weren't looking. I couldn't see them approaching the intersection from afar so I had no idea they were coming.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #29

Name: Gail
Trailer: 2020 Scamp 16 ft
Washington
I recently posted about towing my 16ft Scamp with an Outback. I think some assumed I don’t have trailer brakes since I didn’t mention them but not so! I wouldn’t tow without them.
tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #30

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate View Post
I recently posted about towing my 16ft Scamp with an Outback. I think some assumed I don’t have trailer brakes since I didn’t mention them but not so! I wouldn’t tow without them.

i suggest you read Scamps page on a 13 they suggest no brakes!
Old 02-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #31

Missouri
no matter then what you have you are doomed by those clowns.

for a 13f i suggest you read up on scamps suggestions for a 13f ours has no brakes as it was designed!
Old 02-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #32

Missouri
check scamp their posts on no brakes needed on a 13!!
Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #33

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
no matter then what you have you are doomed by those clowns.

for a 13f i suggest you read up on scamps suggestions for a 13f ours has no brakes as it was designed!
Sorry Bob, but I have to disagree strongly here. If given a choice of whose specs to follow, the manufacturer of the tow vehicle or the manufacturer of the trailer, I will go with the manufacturer of the tow vehicle. Now if I had a full-sized F-150 towing a 13 foot Scamp, then I wouldn't worry too much about having brakes since I am sure the manual doesn't say you need brakes when towing over 1000 lbs. I'm pretty sure the insurance companies will rely on what the tow vehicle manufacturer says rather than the trailer manufacturer.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #34

Missouri
well towed quite a few miles with our rig no brakes. 1200lbs no problems never really had a braking problem! maybe more observant!

but we all have our ways i suppose i sort of went by Scamps suggestions on a 13 your company may differ but that is the way it is!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #35

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Subaru tows Great!

Tow a 16 ft. Casita with a 2.5 L. Subaru. Pulls great, 20 to 22 mpg. You will need a brake controller and sway bar! I tow at 58-60 MPH.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On 2/6/21 John in Santa Cruz posted a video of a CVT transmission. with the comment of "why a CVT is not suitable for towing". Doesn't the Subaru Outback have that CVT transmission?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #37

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We tow our 2007 13' Deluxe, loaded with bath, frig, stove, water system, etc with our 2020 Santa Fe 2.0T engine. It's not a "Subby" but pretty close in size and capability. It pulls our Scamp with absolutely no issues and I keep up with traffic just fine. I changed my Scamp tires to 70 mph so I typically run 65 mph on the interstate.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #38

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
"why a CVT is not suitable for towing".

Can you point me to the place in that video where the guy taking it apart tells us why it's not suitable for towing?

The title seemed like scarebait and I scanned the video and didn't see anything other than a guy taking a transmission apart.

New things are scary to some people.I'm old enough to remember when people said there was no way they would tow with an automatic transmission because it would burn it up.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #39

Name: NP
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Subaru Impreza

Hello,
Thanks for all the info on this thread! I have a 2000 Subaru Impreza. Online it says I can tow up to 1500. I have my eyes set on a 16' with bathroom but am a bit worried that is overdoing it. I know lots of folks on these forums use outbacks/foresters. Anyone ever use an Impreza? The hitch guy I talked to said with a good tow bar 2k is possible. I don't want to ruin my vehicle but I don't want to buy a new one. Advice?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Your hitch guy is just trying to sell you a hitch.
You will not be happy climbing hills, going down them, or taking the Subaru in for repairs.
I towed a tent trailer with a Subaru Legacy Wagon and had issues with all of the above.

Tags
scamp