Floyd at Scamp Camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Floyd at Scamp Camp

We drove over to Scamp Camp today to heard Floyd's Tech talk. His informed talk on Scamps is well worth the visit. His willingness to share his long Scamp experience with others, to do it every year and always with the smile of a friend.

In today's world it is pleasant to hear the constancy of Floyd's Tech Talk.

Thank you

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We drove over to Scamp Camp today to heard Floyd's Tech talk. His informed talk on Scamps is well worth the visit. His willingness to share his long Scamp experience with others, to do it every year and always with the smile of a friend.

In today's world it is pleasant to hear the constancy of Floyd's Tech Talk.

Thank you

Norm

floyd is a fantastic guy i too love his knowledge of our little trailers!

Glad he made it fun for you!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
floyd is a fantastic guy i too love his knowledge of our little trailers!

Glad he made it fun for you!
Bob,

If you watch carefully, you find people who do little things in life that make the difference with their actions. Floyd is one of those people that is more than he appears. One of those thoughtful guys, as in full of thoughts.

We're living in the south now after living most of our lives in the northeast. One of those phrases that I hear here that I never heard in the Northeast, is 'have a blessed day'.

I'm not a religious guy but some how when I hear those words I feel extended.
Talking with Floyd yesterday left me thinking of him most of the day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While I’ve never met the man.... I’ve read many of his post always well written and he obviously knows his stuff
I’m sure he is even more interesting in person
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Pardon my ignorance (newbie here), but what and where is Scamp Camp?
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:25 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
It is a fiberglass trailer rally held in February at Highland Hammock SP in Sebring Florida
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
Scamp Camp is typically one of the larger Fiberglass rallies, in 2019 there were over 70 rigs. It is held in Highland Hammocks State Park, unusual in that state parks are reluctant to give up so many sites in their prime seasons.

It is a very interesting state park built by the CCC during the 1930s. One of the highlights of the park is their guided tram ride through the Florida wilderness of the park. Though you will think you are no where walking the park trails you are still close to Sebring, Florida that has all kinds of services.

Of course all brands of fiberglass RVs are welcome. Many of the attendees stay for periods longer than the rally. There is a lot to see in the area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

Missouri
him and jon sort of make my day!
Old 02-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Quote:
Scamp Camp is typically one of the larger Fiberglass rallies, in 2019 there were over 70 rigs. It is held in Highland Hammocks State Park, unusual in that state parks are reluctant to give up so many sites in their prime seasons.

It is a very interesting state park built by the CCC during the 1930s. One of the highlights of the park is their guided tram ride through the Florida wilderness of the park. Though you will think you are no where walking the park trails you are still close to Sebring, Florida that has all kinds of services.

Of course all brands of fiberglass RVs are welcome. Many of the attendees stay for periods longer than the rally. There is a lot to see in the area.
Thanks Steve and Honda. Hopefully we can get to Scamp Camp next year. Would love to check out Highland Hammocks SP (and meet Floyd).
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=sunnyone;805159. Would love to check out Highland Hammocks SP (and meet Floyd).[/QUOTE]

Both are goals well worth pursuing !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It is a fiberglass trailer rally held in February at Highland Hammock SP in Sebring Florida
Quote:
To set the record straight, it is not Higland Hammock or Highland Hammocks State Park. It is Highlands Hammock State Park because it is in Highlands (with an “s”) County, and the park is in a Hammock (loose definition: higher dry land surrounded by a swampy area). Gee, imagine that: swampy land in Florida! And the State Park does NOT give up a thing. All Scamp Camp attendees must compete with all other potential “campers” when making reservations. The State of Florida does not care if the camping unit on any given site is a fiberglass trailer, a tent, or a big long stickie. No sites are specifically set aside for Scamp Camp wannabe attendees. The State only cares about (big surprise) the revenue, which in February rolls in due to campground utilization typically at 100% due to snowbirds “flying” south.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #12

Florida
Rallies and State Parks

We attended a Fiberglass rally on the coast of Oregon in a state park. The rangers mentioned how happy they were to have the rally suggesting that the attendees were easy to have guests.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Heard immunity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
To set the record straight, it is not Higland Hammock or Highland Hammocks State Park. It is Highlands Hammock State Park because it is in Highlands (with an “s”) County, and the park is in a Hammock (loose definition: higher dry land surrounded by a swampy area). Gee, imagine that: swampy land in Florida! And the State Park does NOT give up a thing. All Scamp Camp attendees must compete with all other potential “campers” when making reservations. The State of Florida does not care if the camping unit on any given site is a fiberglass trailer, a tent, or a big long stickie. No sites are specifically set aside for Scamp Camp wannabe attendees. The State only cares about (big surprise) the revenue, which in February rolls in due to campground utilization typically at 100% due to snowbirds “flying” south.
Hi: CPW... "...Heard Floyd's Tech talk". One thing for sure, Scamp ownership gives him endless reams of material for "Tech" toks!!! Not trying to incite a riot in the "Hammock".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

Missouri
got that right and the extra money on the reserve game!
Old 02-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #15

Missouri
by the way did you check out floyds back tailights? he has a picture somewhere i put them up high just like he did! i watch my rearview mirror when i see those jets approaching i sort of hit the brakes a tad or i have hit the hazzards.

helps to stay safe!
Old 02-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #16

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
The State only cares about (big surprise) the revenue, which in February rolls in due to campground utilization typically at 100% due to snowbirds “flying” south.
Carl, "flying" is the only way Canadian snowbirds can winter in the south this year. Unfortunately if they're flying home they now have a choice of only four major airports to fly into, then on arrival as of a week Monday they must get a second covid test and be put up in a "government approved" i.e. locked into a hotel at your own expense until the test returns negative, If it returns positive, well then good luck!

Beth is "camping" out at Fort Leavenworth KS awaiting our ninth grandchild and we must look at alternatives for getting her home next month.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Floyd at Scamp Camp

Something seems missing here just for reference!

At Scamp Camp of course

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	139426
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	139427
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:23 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Carl, "flying" is the only way Canadian snowbirds can winter in the south this year. Unfortunately if they're flying home they now have a choice of only four major airports to fly into, then on arrival as of a week Monday they must get a second covid test and be put up in a "government approved" i.e. locked into a hotel at your own expense until the test returns negative, If it returns positive, well then good luck!

Beth is "camping" out at Fort Leavenworth KS awaiting our ninth grandchild and we must look at alternatives for getting her home next month.

Adrian
Adrian,

I suspect that shortly the amount of vaccine available in the US may allow her to get vaccinated. I also believe that the border restriction on “non-essential” travel might be eased for those with proof of vaccination. Of course, this is “speculation” on my part. I also understand that Canada is somewhat trailing the US in the “race” to get vaccine into arms. As I sit writing this, in slightly less than 6 hours I am scheduled to get my second dose of Moderna. But I do believe, although distant, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched on. Congratulation on the new grandchild, and I do hope that JT will allow his citizens to return without hassle. Florida has vaccinate some Canadians who have shown proof of seasonal residency. And (I hope it’s not wishful thinking) President Biden has stated that by early summer, the US will have enough doses for everyone who wants it. Hopefully, Canada will not be far behind.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Adrian,

I suspect that shortly the amount of vaccine available in the US may allow her to get vaccinated. I also believe that the border restriction on “non-essential” travel might be eased for those with proof of vaccination. Of course, this is “speculation” on my part. I also understand that Canada is somewhat trailing the US in the “race” to get vaccine into arms. As I sit writing this, in slightly less than 6 hours I am scheduled to get my second dose of Moderna. But I do believe, although distant, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched on. Congratulation on the new grandchild, and I do hope that JT will allow his citizens to return without hassle. Florida has vaccinate some Canadians who have shown proof of seasonal residency. And (I hope it’s not wishful thinking) President Biden has stated that by early summer, the US will have enough doses for everyone who wants it. Hopefully, Canada will not be far behind.

I have received the vaccine and contacted Newfoundland's tourist bureau to see if they would now allow me to visit. The response was we have no plans to allow vaccinated people into Newfoundland. Weird beyond any reality.

When I was young I looked to the media for truth and reality, I now don't know if it was ever the case.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Weird beyond any reality.

When I was young I looked to the media for truth and reality, I now don't know if it was ever the case.

Not weird when there is an outbreak of a new variation that is spreading so fast that they have had to cancel in-person voting in their provincial election. See story:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ange-1.5912091

In addition, the vaccines are new and it is not known if those who are vaccinated can still transmit the virus.

Tags
scamp