Scamp Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Scamp Towing

I am looking at a 19' Scamp 5th wheel. I know it's very light but will a Ford F150 tow it? THANKS, everyone
Tcscmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Easily. I think I can say that safely without even knowing the year, drivetrain, and other particulars.

The only issue you may run into is compatibility of the trailer suspension with the height of the pickup cargo bed. The trailer loft has to clear the pickup bed when sitting level.

Scamp 19s can be ordered with a standard suspension or a 3" lifted suspension. Buying used, that’s a question to ask. Scamp can give you the range of pickup bed heights that will work with each. Measure the height of your truck from the ground to the top of the cargo bed at the rear corners to determine which you need. I’ll guess most newer, full-size trucks do require the 3" lift option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcscmd1 View Post
I am looking at a 19' Scamp 5th wheel. I know it's very light but will a Ford F150 tow it? THANKS, everyone
Scamp delivered many 19' Scamps all over the country for many years with a 3.0L Ford Ranger.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Name: Mary
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Thanks, everyone. I'll check out the heights.
Tcscmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:27 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The newer the full sized truck, the higher the bed sides. Its a fashion thing IMO, as it makes getting stuff in and out of the truck from the side of the bed much harder. I had to add side steps to my 2010 F150, and its 2WD. It is much higher than the 2002 F150 it replaced.

Someone needs to tap these truck designers on the back: "Hey, stop making these truck bed sides so freakin high! It just makes them harder to use."

An axle lift should solve any potential problem. Can this be an issue? Yes. If you have minimal clearance, if you are on a sudden slope (say you crest a somewhat steep driveway, where the truck is level but the trailer is inclined upward), it is possible for the tailgate and truck bed side walls to impact the under side of the trailer. Ask me how I know......
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcscmd1 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I'll check out the heights.
Heights are of no concern. I towed a 19-foot Scamp with a 2012 F-150. The bed of my 2020 F-150 is approximately 1/2-inch higher. Of greater concern is hitch placement. In order to provide “swing” clearance (when turning) the distance from the ball to the ends of the trucks rear bumper is critical. True 5th wheel hitches are installed so that the connection point is slightly in front of the trucks rear axle. This is done to prevent the rear axle/wheels from acting as a fulcrum, raising the trucks front wheels off the ground by the weight of the trailer. The Scamp 19’s ball may have to be located a couple of inches behind the rear axle to provide for the aforementioned swing clearance. This does not create a dangerous “lever” problem because the hitch weight (called pin weight in a true 5th wheel connection) of the Scamp 19 is not heavy enough to create stability problems. If you want the hitch mounted to the frame, you may have to have a welding shop fabricate custom brackets, depending on the swing clearance measurement.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Following is a rough quote from Scamp. "Assemble the hitch prior to installing and attach the hitch to the rails using the clevis pins. Set the hitch in the bed. Position the hitch directly over the axle if possible, but make sure that the center of the ball is not more that 57-1/2" from the corner of the rear bumprough er or furthest protrusion (not the box). This is your longest radius when turning."
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #8

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I installed the rails as intended by the rail manufacturers and the changed the hitch on the 19 to a bulldog hitch that extended about six inches further than the old hitch.

It was a cheap change that really improved fit and durability.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I took a picture of Scamp's 19' delivery vehicle about 3 years ago when we passed through the area. Ford Ranger Supercab.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180821_110903071.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp