Bigfoot FB21 receiver at rear bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot and Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
Bigfoot FB21 receiver at rear bumper

I have an '07, 25B21FB with a 2" receiver hitch at the rear bumper that has been used at some point. My question is...whta is the wait carrying capacity. Is it the weight capacity of the receiver hitch?
Must one then add enough water to your fresh water tank to counterbalance?

Experiences, good ot bad will be much appreciated

Greg
Apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Isn’t the water tank in the rear under the bed? Adding more weight wouldn’t be practical. Bigfoot could answer your capacity question. Age makes a big difference in load. Before I replace my bf bumper, not much.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #3

New Mexico
Registry
FB denotes the Front Bed, and yes the water tank id under the front bed. My concern is that if I add 200 lbs at the rear bumper it seems like I should balance that with a like weight in fresh water at the front???????

OOPS!!!!!!!my bad
I just fixed the original post to say FB
Old 08-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Is the receiver just bolted to the bumper tube or is it welded to the frame of the trailer makes a big difference.

If you measure from the rear bumper to the center between the tires then from there to perpendicular with the ball you can get a basic idea of the percentage of length behind and in front of the axles. eg if axle was dead center 5# added to bumper will remove 5# of tongue weight like a teeter totter, with tandem axles the effect may be even less.
It is recommended to have 10-15% of trailer weight on the ball to minimize sway, less than that can contribute to sway, not something you want to experience.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

New Mexico
Registry
Thanks Martin

Tags
bigfoot