Travel with Casita in the winter to AZ & Utah - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #21

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
And more on the trailer.

My EEE-14 is known for a weakness in the frame where it bends up to the tongue just in front of the trailer. The usual fix is a couple "flitch" plates welded on either side. I did that two years ago and it cost too much (IMHO) but I am very glad I got to it before my last trip.

If you know of any weaknesses in your particular trailer, it's past time to attend to them.

Two years ago when I was doing some cosmetic repair and checking things over I found cracks and holes in the GRP in front of both wheel wells. I was very fortunate. Both to find the failures and to have borrowed a shop with fiberglass repair materials and to have the skills to fix the problems.

It's more than worth it to get some space, preferably indoors, with a nice flat slab and electric power. Put the trailer on jack stands set all the way high, get a bright flashlight and a really bright trouble light, put on safety glasses and use a creeper to roll around beneath the trailer, poking, scraping and maybe hammering a little. Take pics of anything strange or horrifying to help your meditations on the subject.

Then set the really bright trouble light to aim up at one section and get yourself into the trailer and open up that spot above (open the lockers, closet, whatever) and see if you find light coming through. Track down anything worrisome and see if it's trouble. Move the light below and repeat above.

Many of us have old trailers. We really need to do this once a year. Newer trailers, well, you can stay luckier for longer, but it's still a good idea.

Based on my experience I think just driving the interstates can beat a small trailer up. Potholes, bridge aprons, sloppy highway repairs, loose gravel, the occasional washboard road, etc etc.

Cheers,
Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #22
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I have a few thoughts.

First, all those places you mentioned get some real wintry weather. Keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared to hunker down somewhere if it gets bad (food, propane, etc.)

When dry camping in cold weather, we consume a 20-pound bottle of propane in around 10 days. That's for cooking, heating and the refrigerator. I bought a propane bottle that has a gas gauge. It's not super accurate but close enough.

I know folks who camp regularly in winter. They keep their trailer winterized and don't use the systems. Instead, they carry bottled water and use the facilities at the campground.
No one is mentioning insulating the water tanks. Isn’t that a concern in freezing weather ? I can heat the inside of the 13ft Scamp but how about the stuff on the outside? Water and holding tanks?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #23

Name: tom
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Massachusetts
Unless you are spending and extended period of time in an extreme environment you should not have a problem with freezing water tank/lines.

It takes a long time to freeze the tank. Lines will freeze before the tank.

Just do the following things.

1. leave interior access doors open to some interior warmth to warm tank, pump and piping.

2. Don't spend too much time in extreme temperatures with water in tank, pump and lines.

How did your trip go?
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita