New Bigfoot member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2022, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Lance
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
New Bigfoot member

Hi, just recently acquired a 1987 Bigfoot 17’ picked up in Seattle are and drove from Southern Oregon to Seattle and back in thr same day, towed great on the way home. Need some advice, factory ac doesn’t seem to be kicking in, just the fan, has the heat/cool unit but both are seeming to be working properly, can these factory units be recharged?

Need a replacement left taillight as well, best place to get parts for these units?

Lance
1987bigfoot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987bigfoot17 View Post
Hi, just recently acquired a 1987 Bigfoot 17’ picked up in Seattle are and drove from Southern Oregon to Seattle and back in thr same day, towed great on the way home. Need some advice, factory ac doesn’t seem to be kicking in, just the fan, has the heat/cool unit but both are seeming to be working properly, can these factory units be recharged?

Need a replacement left taillight as well, best place to get parts for these units?

Lance
Welcome to the Forum.

There’s a RV Service Repair shop north of Salem, Lafayette autobody & RV repair 503-864-2344. Bigfoot industries recommended them to me. Hopefully they are not too far north of you. These people do understand how to work with fiberglass, and it may be worth a day’s travel if you live around Medford.

If this is your first trailer, they can help you set things up, and give you tips for care of fiberglass & general trailer maintenance & repair. They can also do a complete safety check & inspect the trailer and it’s appliances for problems.

If they are geographically undesirable, they may be able to point you to a service repair service closer to you.

My first trailer was a BF 19, which gave me a great deal of pleasure. I love Bigfoots. My trailer was in great shape when I bought it. But it did have problems with the charging system. And I did need to purchase a weight distribution system and install a break controller. I lucked out with a wonderful trailer repair shop close to home. They closed their doors 3 years ago, but referred me to a terrific Mobil repair guy. I cannot over emphasize the importance of finding a quality, honest shop or mobile repair service.

Hope this helps.

Hope you enjoy your trailer in the best of health!
Old 03-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
If the A/C is original to the trailer, it may well be best to replace it entirely. Yes, costly but you can get the Rec Pro unit that has built in soft start and very quiet running, lower profile and low amp draw, and probably be much happier than the old stuff on there now. If the old unit only needs a capacitor or something simple, then spend the money, but if it has leaked that means a line is probably broken (they are sealed like window A/C units) and at that point the money is best spent on a new unit.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/

Post up a pic of the taillight. is it smashed, broken? Generally the Bigfoot uses Bargman lights, series 84. if the lens is cracked or smashed I would get two of the LED replacements and install them.

Two screws, out with the lens, out with the bulb, coat the new connection with dielectric grease and plug it in the socket and put the two screws back in.

Bargman 47-84-410 LED Upgrade Kit for #84 Series Light - Red this gives you brake & turn plus running lights. The entire black frame is available if you need it but no sense replacing it if it is not needed. Now on mine, the LED is hardwired as it came from the factory but I replaced the backup lights as you can see, it used the bulb base in the socket to make the connection, however I had to add reflector to replace what was lost on the backup light conversion. The reflectors were added after the pic was made, red rectangular ones below the taillights, plus the DOT tape on the bumper. First pic has solid red tape that was crap so I removed it and installed the red white tape that is impressive. I used Grote plastic reflectors under the taillights.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Tail light new LED backup light and first DOT tape install.jpg   Tail light with final DOT tape install and Grote prismatic reflector added.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot