16 ft Scamp window A/C - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
AZ
16 ft Scamp window A/C

Hello again Camper Family,
It has been too long since my last contact, therefore I have sinned!

On a lighter note, I need to establish A/C in a 2004 Scamp, and asking if anyone has best method guidance for a small window A/C unit install?

I live year around in AZ (East Valley of PHX metro valley), and the camper belongs to my Dad, who lives in ND. He drove down in 2019 with his Blazer and Scamp in tow to spend the winter, but due to health issues had to return just 2 weeks after he arrived, and we have had his "rig" as he calls it here since then.

Here in lies the rub.

He will be 90 this fall and probably never see his rig again, as he is unable to travel by himself this far, and my siblings will not let him out of their sight. He takes off driving without telling anyone where he is going, and they are afraid he will hurt someone. Now, none of them want his rig, so it sits at my house here. I wish it were mine, but that is another issue all together, as siblings would rather wait to sell it and divide funds up in the estate!

The Blazer is parked, but the camper we use about 3-5 times a year, and mostly up on the Rim area where we do not need A/C. If the camper were mine, I would put a factory A/C unit on the roof, but at this time do not want to lose out on that investment with it still dads camper.

My wife had a double brain aneurysm years ago, does not handle heat very well since then, so making sure she is comfortable. We have a summer camping trip near Tucson planned with family here in AZ, so looking to buy a small window unit to install, as this I can be removed and put glass back in if it needs to be sold for the estate.

Asking for recommendations best window to use, mounting method to include bracing, and electrical load requirements. The window unit will be a very small home unit, or do they have RV style window units now that are reasonable to buy? Expect to spend $2-300 for this project. I do not see what I really want on the web, but know some of you have dealt with this, and I highly value your guidance.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
2004scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I have seen, either here or on face book, where a lady had one mounted on a stand from her rear bumper going up to the rear slider side window opening. It was welded to the bumper. It was either bolt through the body just below the window or flanges hooked over the window frame.
We generally camp along the CA cost don't often need AC, but we're planning some trips inland and I will likely use a similar mount for a window AC for those trips.
I would make it removable by having it bolt over the bumper and having flanges over the window frame. It would take at t he most 15 minute to install when we reached our sight. I would not want the of the AC bouncing on the fiberglass. The smaller window units are quite light and I tow with a Suburban so space is not a problem.
It has been 2 hours since I started this post so someone else may have sent a similar suggestion.
Enjoy it while you can.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #3

AZ
Terry,
I had not thought of that. Thinking back over my 61 years, I do remember seeing similar setups as that, at a campground or two over the years.
Portable, removable, and can be used for many other uses and not just the camper.
Thanks Terry for engaging my brain by sharing this
Old 03-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Here is what another member of this site did with their Scamp 16:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	145261

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	145262

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	145263
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #5

AZ
Alex,
This template would be built to the size of the A/C unit being used, so inside dimensions would reflect that of course, but does this set in what looks like the rear window opening? It looks to be the same shape as the rear slider.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

New Hampshire
If you look at the dimensions, the plywood square is supposed to fit in the window frame and the two other end pieces fit over the Window frame. The dotted line in the righthand drawing is the outline of the plywood square. You will just need to adjust the dimensions of the plywood square and the openings in the end pieces to fit your AC unit. You will probably need to leave a gap to fit a Window AC or you can buy a through the wall AC. They look like a window AC but don't have any screws or bulges and are perfectly rectangular. You will probably have to use some sort of weather-stripping for where the AC unit meets the frame in either case. I made a similar frame for my boler and had to cut some grooves into the square due to some screws that were sticking out on the window AC unit. The inside end should be made to be removable. I used a 6000 BTU unit and my 13 foot boler can be turned into a meat locker in South Carolina so choose your AC unit accordingly. I plan on updating my thread of rebuilds and improvements once I create a permanent version since the one I made was for proof of concept. It still needs some tweaking.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #7

AZ
That does sound right.
And thinking about it more, to use this base thought, and make it in two pieces (Just looked at pics, and there are 2 pieces......Come on Scott....pay attention)
One that slips in from the outside as a frame & boot into the opening with a flexible rubber lip seal for water diversion, and second piece that would slip on from the inside. Use bolts in the outside base, and wingnuts on the inside piece to sandwich the camper between the two pieces, then slide A/C unit into it from inside.
It could be removed in about a minute or two for travel, and store right in the camper

Setup -
Slide the rear window open and separate the outside/inside frame pieces.
Put outside frame through opening with rubber seal against camper.
Attach inside frame with seal against camper using wingnuts. Hand tighten.
Install A/C unit

Teardown -
Reverse Setup process.

Frames could be made out of wood or metal (I am thinking aluminum angle), as rubber seals would prevent any damage to fiberglass, and help dull any vibration.
Rubber seals would be similar to an auto door seal, that could be glued to the entire frame, but top lip seal would be angled from top outside corners up to top center, just slightly higher so water would run off left & right. Only need about 1/2 inch higher at center.

One last thought is the bottom lip would need to be sloped out, so condensation would run and drip outside. As camper shell slopes a little more forward above the window as you get closer to the radius of the camper roof, that bottom lip angle would need to be figured out, so sitting relatively level at the campsite, the outside of the A/C unit would be tilted down slightly.

What do you think?
Old 03-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #8

New Hampshire
That's essentially what I am working on as the end product for my boler. The only thing that I am doing that differs is I am also integrating a AC window support bracket with my frame. The final plan is to have a removeable support from the bumper to the end of the bracket to take most of the weight since I am afraid the frame and/or the wall my be distorted over time by the weight.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #9

AZ
Yes bumper support would be ideal, and I only want a 5k unit so will be pretty light weight, and of course not in the window when moving.

Now, how about the plug in?
Are the outlets built with proper amp ratings to run a unit like this?
I would guess just like a 2004 built stick house, if the plug fits, it should handle demand?
Old 03-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #10

New Hampshire
I really hope things work out and you can keep the trailer. Seems a shame for it to leave the family.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #11

AZ
I know, and dad has 3 more Scamps up at the ranch that he wore out over the years, couple 13 ft and I think another 16 ft.
When it is time, I am thinking to bring them all back here, as the shells are still intact......I think but will see.
Give me some refurbish work in retirement, just a few years away, and these always sell.
I tried several times to buy this one from him, but he will not sell it. If I have to, I will buy it from the estate, when the time comes.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Why not decide on a price, divide the price equally and you pay the others the price minus your share. They don't want it and you do. This way problem solved in everyone's favor.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #13

AZ
Yep, that is what the end process will look like, but dad and mom are still alive and he is unwilling to sell.

He worked hard all his life, and not willing to part with anything as special as his camper, which he has pulled all over the US and parts of Mexico. Many fond memories he has of his & mom's travels, and I will not take that away from him.
As it is here, we do use it a few times a year, and with his blessing. But as it is not mine, I do not want to alter anything beyond how he had it last, in case he does get a last chance to camp out. Hence my request for ideas to do the window A/C, instead of installing a roof unit, which I would be unable to switch out if the estate decides it must be sold.
Never know the temperature of the water, unless you test it, and this situation sadly will not be tested until dad is gone from us. Yes I want the camper, but not worth full blown family discord to get it. Just more "stuff" none of us can take with us when we go, and there are more campers out there.

Thanks for the thought Bing.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:18 AM   #14

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
The circuitsare made to handle the draw, but after 18 years it would be best to check all of the connections. The vibration from traveling can loosen connections.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #15

AZ
Good point Terry,
I know the outlets all work with a light or radio, but yes it would be best to go through them, and make sure all is clean and good contact.
I have an '81 CJ5, and same issue with age on electrical connectors with it, as it sat for extended periods of time (years) before I got it home.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004scamp View Post
Hello again Camper Family,
It has been too long since my last contact, therefore I have sinned!

On a lighter note, I need to establish A/C in a 2004 Scamp, and asking if anyone has best method guidance for a small window A/C unit install?

I live year around in AZ (East Valley of PHX metro valley), and the camper belongs to my Dad, who lives in ND. He drove down in 2019 with his Blazer and Scamp in tow to spend the winter, but due to health issues had to return just 2 weeks after he arrived, and we have had his "rig" as he calls it here since then.

Here in lies the rub.

He will be 90 this fall and probably never see his rig again, as he is unable to travel by himself this far, and my siblings will not let him out of their sight. He takes off driving without telling anyone where he is going, and they are afraid he will hurt someone. Now, none of them want his rig, so it sits at my house here. I wish it were mine, but that is another issue all together, as siblings would rather wait to sell it and divide funds up in the estate!

The Blazer is parked, but the camper we use about 3-5 times a year, and mostly up on the Rim area where we do not need A/C. If the camper were mine, I would put a factory A/C unit on the roof, but at this time do not want to lose out on that investment with it still dads camper.

My wife had a double brain aneurysm years ago, does not handle heat very well since then, so making sure she is comfortable. We have a summer camping trip near Tucson planned with family here in AZ, so looking to buy a small window unit to install, as this I can be removed and put glass back in if it needs to be sold for the estate.

Asking for recommendations best window to use, mounting method to include bracing, and electrical load requirements. The window unit will be a very small home unit, or do they have RV style window units now that are reasonable to buy? Expect to spend $2-300 for this project. I do not see what I really want on the web, but know some of you have dealt with this, and I highly value your guidance.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

First thing is that to install roof air you have to have the camper actually structurally braced for it. Some that don't have air are still braced, some are not. Generally the best way to check is to go to where the roof air would be installed and see if you can find the electrical wiring for running it. The scamp people are good people and they could also help you with that question.

Depending on your dad's mental status you might just make a deal with him about it and then it would not be part of the estate. But it maybe sounds like his mental status is already such that this would not be appropriate. Remember he should be paying you storage.

If your dad is such that you can make a deal, you could make one. And one such deal would be that you just buy the camper for a reduced price, officially also settling the storage issue. If the unit can take a rooftop unit, then you might get a quote on that. Probably pricy, but putting in a window unit in a reasonable manner would also be very hard and pricy. Then maybe you could make a deal to loan your dad the money for you to put in the air conditioning. Then when the estate issue comes up you would get your loan back from the proceeds of the sale before the rest of the proceeds of the sale were divided. Or make a deal like that with your siblings. Frankly the air conditioning should add more to the value of the camper than the cost of installing it. So they should be OK with this deal.

Now if you really want to do window air conditioning, that will take a lot of work. My 1993 scamp had a small window air conditioner built into the closet right to the side of the door. It is in the bottom of that closet with the part that comes in the window coming in the inside face of the closet. Then basically the air conditioner is mounted on a stand inside the closet with the back side close to the side of the camper. Then you have to pipe the condensate out the bottom of the air conditioner and out the bottom of the camper. And you duct the hot air coming out the back side of the air conditioner out a grill on the side of the camper. Then the air also comes in that section of the closet and you have to seal that part of the closet up and get enough air through the air conditioner. Generally you also have to make sure the fan is not slinging the water out of the air conditioner sides.

Now when Scamp did this at the factory the air conditioner had to have its sides cut out to made for enough air flow. And it just barely fit in to the space of the closet. They actually were able to do the ducting by just stuffing fiber glass insulation in the cracks. Their unit failed and I had to replace it. Luckily I am pretty handy so I was able to do this. And the new unit is more energy efficient with more cooling capacity for less power than the orginal. But it did take a lot of work to get this replacement in. I had to build a full stand that would take movement. And then I had to build wood ducting to get the air out the back into the outside. It was several day's work and was only possible because I am pretty good at this kind of thing. I did have some pictures of the process. But I can't seem to find them. I do have a picture of the inside and outside of the finished project if that helps.

You can;t just put one in a window. The structure will not hold it. You would have to make a full structure. There are also those portable air conditioners and you likely could find a way to make that work.
Attached Thumbnails
0930201539[1].jpg   0930201539a[1].jpg  

computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Here is what scamp says about air conditioning support

A. When a roof air conditioner is installed, it is necessary to reinforce the roof to handle the added weight and stress. To accomplish this, a thick fiber mat is rolled into the roof before the shell cures.
When air conditioning was not ordered with a trailer, the support was optional and the buyer would choose whether or not to have it. This is indicated in the buyer’s paperwork as an item line “Roof Air-Prep Only”. Another way to check for this is to look for a 120 volt NM-B type wire tucked behind the ceiling fabric strip. This wire will be on the same side of the trailer as the breaker panel.
As of 2010 all 16ft and 19ft trailers come with the roof support by default.
As of 2018 all 13ft trailers also have the roof support by default.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Temporary Mounted Window AC for small travel trailer.

Passing through Arizona several years ago I realized that there was no way that I would be able to sleep that night with temperatures well over 100F. I stopped at a Home Depot in Tuscon and purchased a small 5000 BTU window unit. The driver-side window on my little Casita was an "escape" window that would hinge up.

The AC was light enough that I could easily open the "escape" window and place the AC in the window opening. When I purchased the AC, I also had Home cut a couple of short length of 1x2 with a strap hinge in the middle so that the 1x2 would fold one way but not the other. I used the 1x2 across the top of the AC to keep it from falling out of the window. The AC has to tilt backward a bit to drain correctly, so the weight of the AC against the 1x2 would keep it in place.

I use a pool noodle beneath the AC to protect the window frame and filled the gaps around the AC with cardboard cut from the packing box. A bit of gaffer's tape sealed everything off to keep insects and hot air out.

I slept comfortably that night and the next morning simply put everything on the floor of my trailer and headed down the road.

It was not a beautiful installation, but it worked! In fact it worked so well that when I finally got back to my home base, I replaced the cardboard that I had used to close around the AC with some corrugated plastic that I picked up at a Home Depot and continued to use that system for several years.

The biggest problem was that if a thunderstorm came up during the night, water would inevitably find it's way through the window. Balanced against that was the fact that I could choose to leave the AC at home or in the bed of my truck on trips that were to cooler climes. Other than the AC, the cost was about the same as a meal at McDonalds.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:53 PM   #19

AZ
Thanks for additional info

Family thing is as far as it is going to go, with dad at near 90, and 8 siblings, it is just a camper and we use it with his blessing. No storage due!
Enough about that.

The idea with the unit installed through the side? Wish I could, but refrigerator mounts lower in that cabinet, with cupboard above and factory plug in. Perhaps for a small microwave, and is in the curve of the shell, so one would need to do some glass work and form the shell to accommodate a window unit that would ride installed.

To use window frame.....I do not intend to do this as a ride along install. Only when setup for camping, then set unit in quick frame, and enjoy.
With the current window setup in this 2004 - 16 ft, the rear slider opens wide enough for a small window unit to set up with quick frame and install, where all the other windows are too small.

I am very handy with home/vehicle repairs, know plumbing/electrical/wood/metal/etc, so easy to build a frame of metal or wood. Just have not decided yet but thinking of aluminum "V" stock for the frame, and rubber seals to protect the fiberglass/window track, and seal against water in case of rain while using A/C.

I have some other projects going, and could not get the brain to engage with ideas, so thought I would reach out to the veteran campers and see what works/or not.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas flowing, as I have until June to get something done
Old 03-26-2022, 05:37 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Thru-wall A/C

You can find 'residential' type AC units that are designed to be installed thru a wall. These are like window units but include a boot that goes thru the wall, and the AC unit that then slides into that. These are often found in small vintage trailers. You do lose some interior space with this method, but they look more finished and less cobbled up than some others.
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp