What Color are the Cabinets in a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
What Color are the Cabinets in a Scamp

I was cleaning my 77 Scamp yesterday and I notice the cabinets and benches were more of an ivory color. Were they originally egg shell white and they faded or were they originally an off-white color?
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
In my 1999, they were a match to the exterior. A pure white.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm curious whether the OP's cabinets match the exterior. Fiberglass doesn't seem to yellow with age like some other plastics. For example, the white plastic u-channel trim on the cabinet edges in mine is quite yellowed (though not evenly so throughout the trailer), but the inside and outside fiberglass is still a very bright white. Or perhaps it does, just much slower, but even if that's true, seems like the interior and exterior should be similar, since they were molded at about the same time.

How about pictures, inside and outside?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
How about pictures, inside and outside?
Not sure that will help. Here's pix of mine shot at the same time, but different light, depending on the side of the trailer.
Close in colour is Krylon Dover White, but that doesn't help you.
Attached Thumbnails
BlackForestGreen overcast.jpg   BlackForestGreen Sunside.jpg  

BlackForestGreen.jpg  
Old 05-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The fact that he stated the cabinets are the same color as the outside of the camper is good enough. It did not matter if it was purple, green, white etc, It told me they matched. And by the way, It is a color, The same color as the outside.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try again Darwin. "Pure white" is not a colour. Doesn't exist.
And, if you look at the cabinets inside and then go outside to compare, you won't get anywhere.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Try again Darwin. "Pure white" is not a colour. Doesn't exist.
And, if you look at the cabinets inside and then go outside to compare, you won't get anywhere.
Please take your argument up with the following paint company. It is sold at Home depot.

BEHR PREMIUM PLUSUltra Pure White Paint
Model# 305001

Getting all scientific with campers that cant even figure out what type of air to put in their tires or how to get the hot water out of their heater, well, why bother.
K I S S works really well here.
Cheers. Datwin.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #8

MI
The outside of the trailer was painted with a brush or roller previously, so nothing to compare there.

I am expecting the color on the outside to be, dare I day?, Eggshell White?

I would like the inside to be lighter than an ivory color. I think it has just aged.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
The fiberglass can be painted, but it's a lot of work and will have to be re-done every so often. Unless they're beat up, I'd be inclined to work ivory (or whatever the resident color experts want to call your particular shade of off-white) into your decor.

You might try cleaning and polishing them with a mild compound suitable for fiberglass. I use Meguiar's marine/RV products, though I've never tried it on the inside. You could also try Barkeeper's Friend (liquid if available, otherwise mix with water to a thin paste. Test an inconspicuous spot first. Just getting them uniformly clean and shiny might improve the appearance a lot.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #10

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You might try cleaning and polishing them with a mild compound suitable for fiberglass. I use Meguiar's marine/RV products, though I've never tried it on the inside. You could also try Barkeeper's Friend (liquid if available, otherwise mix with water to a thin paste. Test an inconspicuous spot first. Just getting them uniformly clean and shiny might improve the appearance a lot.
This is good advice. If it fails to achieve the desired look, well I have just prepped it for paint anyway.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:38 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
How about this for "eggshell" paint? I've always liked robin's egg blue as an exterior color for small molded trailers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Robin's Egg Blue.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	145864
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Trailer.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	145865
Old 05-10-2022, 06:55 AM   #12

MI
Blue is not white.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have no dog in this fight but I do agree with some of the comments. IF you want to match, is there any fiberglass piece you can remove and take to the paint store? Most have a spectrophotometer machine they can use to match to a color.

Best of luck (y)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #14

MI
Thank you Donna.

I don't want to match the color of the existing cabinets. It looks like a slightly yellowish white, kind of like ivory.

It may have just aged that way or it may have been the factory standard at the time of building, I don't know.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
Blue is not white.
Gotcha. Intended it as an injection of humor in this silly “eggshell” debate, but clearly I missed the mark. Carry on.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
I was cleaning my 77 Scamp yesterday and I notice the cabinets and benches were more of an ivory color. Were they originally egg shell white and they faded or were they originally an off-white color?
I would think that white cabinets in a Scamp were fiberglass with a thin layer of gel-coat. At 45 years old, I'm sure the color is no longer a pure white, more likely more a dirty or "ivory" color. Chip off a piece and take it to the paint store, but remember that a different paint company will call it a different color!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Old scamp cabinets are same color as the trailer. Not like they used different gel coat for one or the other. They can be polished with a mild abrasive fiberglass polish. Depending on how deep the staining and discoloration goes that may return them to white.

If they have a brownish tinge it may be from former smoker and that stain can give you some issues when trying to cover with paint.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:04 PM   #18

MI
Thanks, good information.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:47 PM   #19
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We have just removed 14 (!) posts from this thread. If one or more of the excised posts was yours, please take a moment to review the “Be Courteous!” Section of our Community Rules. Help us make/keep FiberglassRV.com a welcoming site, where people are comfortable seeking answers to fiberglass RV related questions.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We have just removed 14 (!) posts from this thread. If one or more of the excised posts was yours, please take a moment to review the “Be Courteous!” Section of our Community Rules. Help us make/keep FiberglassRV.com a welcoming site, where people are comfortable seeking answers to fiberglass RV related questions.
THANKS

Tags
scamp