Bigfoot Roof? Is it safe to be on it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: Sylvia
Trailer: Bigfoot 2000 15 B17 CB
California
Bigfoot Roof? Is it safe to be on it?

Hi everyone! We recently purchased a Bigfoot 2000 17' trailer with a center bath and would like to install an AC where the fan is currently. It was pre-wired for an AC when built from the factory. I've been researching on what the process involves and my concern is being up on the roof to do the fan removal and install of the AC. Someone in another group stated that it was only safe if the trailer was a "double hull" and I am just not clear on whether mine is. I know that ladder to the roof was an option on the one I have, but the original owner didn't purchase that add-on. I'm guessing since Bigfoot had a roof ladder as an option it is safe to be up there but would love to hear from someone who has done that. I know that our Bigfoot was made with a molded fiberglass hull, then a 1" layer of styfofoam and then the inside wall paneling but I don't think that would classify it as a "double hull". We are looking at getting the 9500 Recpro AC and would like to do the install ourselves. We also plan on doing any resealing of the skylight, bathroom fan, vents etc while up there just in case. Seems like many people recommend using the Dicor self leveling sealant for that, but open to suggestions.
NorCalTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
It will support your weight I added A/C in place of the fan many years ago, and then also added a satellite dish two years ago. I still go up and crawl around cleaning it every year. What you may need to do is upgrade your electrical system as the air needs its own 20 amp breaker. I had to upgrade mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3825.jpg  
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
It will support your weight I added A/C in place of the fan many years ago, and then also added a satellite dish two years ago. I still go up and crawl around cleaning it every year. What you may need to do is upgrade your electrical system as the air needs its own 20 amp breaker. I had to upgrade mine.
Oh that's a relief to hear thank you! Can you tell me more about upgrading the electrical? I know my husband plans on adding solar ....I believe using a solar suitcase, not mounting to the roof, and wants to add an inverter as well. Any recommendations for that? And any recommendations for what to use to clean and polish the exterior? Our inside is in near mint condition but the outside is faded...we want to replace the old decals and get it clean and polished up.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I had a shop do the electrical on mine so will leave that question for the pro's on the board.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #5

California
Quote:
I had a shop do the electrical on mine so will leave that question for the pro's on the board.
No problem! Thanks again for the info on the roof. I just didn't want to damage it or mess anything up by getting up there.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:59 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
In your initial post you stated that the trailer was prewired from the factory, so install will be fairly easy. Your trailer should have an unused 12-2 non metalic cable going from the area around the electrical panel to the area around the vent. The wire may be tucked in with other wiring so you will have to dig for it at both ends, and do the necessary connections at the panel including adding a 20 amp breaker and connecting to the AC unit. Pre wired means the wiring is run but not connected at either end.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You may also find a 12-2 wire prewired for a microwave oven. If so, it will be in the upper cabinet in the right rear corner of the trailer. In the storage area under the left dinette seat. Both cables will likely be together near the breaker panel but not connected to the panel.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #8

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Bigfoot Roof? Is it safe to be on it?

As far as the sealant, I used Dicor Self-Leveling sealant on my Bigfoot motorhome for many years and also have done a few spots on my 2018 Bigfoot trailer. But just last week I covered all the sealed areas of the trailer with Plas-T-Cote sealant. I used a putty knife to scrape off the old sealant where it was flaking, washed the dirt off the old sealant, let it dry, then wiped it with mineral spirits before brushing on the Plas-T-Cote. I also taped off around the sealant areas before applying the sealant and removed the tape about half an hour after application. I was very happy with how it turned out.

Here’s the Amazon link for what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HFRTNM/

Here’s one of my newly-sealed vents:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8799.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	145894

And a larger view of a section of the roof:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8804.JPG
Views:	11