California PTI trailer plate for 13' Scamp - any drawbacks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I wasn't going to reply, but... That is a nice Honda TR 70. I wish they sold Trail 90's new. They had a 2 speed gear box with a manual lever. I would buy one.

China produces new Trail 70 (non-Honda) clones that you can find and buy on-line. Very close imitations. Tempted to toss one in the Sprinter for day trips and errands. I don't know how they run or if you can get parts. Maybe it is like those surplus WWII Jeeps packed in Naval Jelly. You buy a spare for parts.

Lisa, I saw a pic. Do you rent scooters?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #22

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Lisa, I saw a pic. Do you rent scooters?
I don't rent scooters, but my insurance company thinks I do. They wonder why I have so many motorbikes. Because I like 'em.

Here are two of my pride and joys.
Trail 90 and Honda Passport

lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Very nice, thank you. Uh, keep 'em locked up. Only half kidding.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #24

California
Registry
The Honda trail bikes have kept and exceeded their value kind of like fiberglass trailers. Although I think my dad said he paid about $350 for the Honda 70 back when new and you certainly can't find 'em at that price now.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
bikes

Nice sadly i only have one. A 2007 Vespa 150 love it use to have 4 .
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My love with Honda started with a honda 50, then a 175 twin and then a Honda stx 90 which I still have but cant let go even if the last time I rode it was 15 years ago.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I have had PTI on utility trailers and my 13' Scamp here in Calif. I can't think of a reason not to have PTI, AND I pay the extra for the 'Pink Slip" , or registration. But not on the utility trailers ; you can easily buy and sell small trailers with no 'Pink Slip", just a home made bill of sale.
But don't all you Calif Scamp owners Scamper to the DMV to change , I think it is only the 13 ' that qualifies. It may have to do with length, or with plumbing; I have been told anything with bathroom or plumbing' needs full yearly plate and Registration. So it is a bit complicated. ( I like Hondas too, here is one I used to take to Quartzsite and RT 66 )
My Casita 16' Sprint Deluxe has full plumbing, and its got a PTI.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #28

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Smile PTI

The qualifier for a PTI plate is the length of the travel trailer. The trailer must be 16' or less.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #29

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
Nice sadly i only have one. A 2007 Vespa 150 love it use to have 4 .
I have a 2006 Vespa 150 and a 2007 GTS250, and for travel I always toss the 150 into the van due to being 80 pounds less to handle, it's a great scooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
My love with Honda started with a honda 50, then a 175 twin and then a Honda stx 90 which I still have but cant let go even if the last time I rode it was 15 years ago.
I totally get that! I have a 1968 VW Beetle that I haven't been able to part with yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
The qualifier for a PTI plate is the length of the travel trailer. The trailer must be 16' or less.
Yes, this is true. 16 feet or less will be called a "camp trailer" and be able to be classified as PTI.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #30

Name: Luis
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
When I first registered my scamp a year ago, it was designated as a trailer coach. Thanks to your post, I went back to DMV and reclassified my Scamp from Trailer Coach to Camp Trailer, which means I got PTI! My registration went from over $200 per year to $20 for 5 years.
icebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #31

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebloke View Post
When I first registered my scamp a year ago, it was designated as a trailer coach. Thanks to your post, I went back to DMV and reclassified my Scamp from Trailer Coach to Camp Trailer, which means I got PTI! My registration went from over $200 per year to $20 for 5 years.
That's great news!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #32

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Missouri

Now has the perm tag for trailers! Got mine!

https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/trailers.php

And that is all I know about it.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #33

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
San Jose
Talking Thanks!

Just got my Scamp, 2021 16' Layout 4, registered in CA as PTI. Thanks to this thread I was sure (4 hours at the DMV) to get PTI! They registered it incorrectly first due to various interpretations (i.e. it has a stove, it has a bathroom, etc) but after speaking with the area manager they corrected it to PTI and now I only have to pay that fee...

Cheers!
bajarobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #34

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarobster View Post
Just got my Scamp, 2021 16' Layout 4, registered in CA as PTI. Thanks to this thread I was sure (4 hours at the DMV) to get PTI! They registered it incorrectly first due to various interpretations (i.e. it has a stove, it has a bathroom, etc) but after speaking with the area manager they corrected it to PTI and now I only have to pay that fee...

Cheers!
That's awesome news!
My 2008 Scamp is a Layout 4 as well and is registered as "Camp Trailer". $10 due every 5 years!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #35

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Good to know that notifications are still being sent. Whew, one less thing to worry about.

I have too many DMV plates as it is. Bike with Oregon plate in the photo was sold.

I have the same problem, although most of my motorcycles and scooters I only ride couple times a year, so I have 2 vespa plates I use on 4-5 different vespas, a honda plate I use on a few of my hondas and so on. I make sure to insure everything I ride. Yeh it's not legal, but Ive never been pulled over, and my old man used to tell me "don't break the law when you are breaking the law". And besides most cops would not be able even locate the VIN numbers on my vespas.
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:29 AM   #36

Mid Left Coast
hah, we have, I think, currently 3 or 4 more vehicles than we should have in our driveway.. plus our old Casita which needs to be sold, and may have just sold itself.

Its crazy how many folks are interested in the 1965 Ford F100 rustbucket. its a base model truck with 3-on the tree, and a inline 6. it ran when parked, and probably with a new battery, and some fuel and spark magic will run again. someone who is into old Ford trucks could probably turn it into something cool again.

My last daily driver is a 1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet. one of only 770 imported that year. very nice convertible. parked it under a carport for the winter last year, and a woodrat nest chewed up a bunch of wiring, and made a mess of things. sad thing is, before that happene,d everything worked, I'd rebuilt the hydraulic top cylinders, and taken care of all the stuff that was going sketch, but it was needing a new top. and tires and brakes.

then there's the 1990 260E, the wife's last DD, a 1994 E320 wagon.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:51 AM   #37

Mid Left Coast
Old 04-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #38

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
1994 E320 wagon.
Love those wagons!
Old 04-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Corsair View Post
I have the same problem, although most of my motorcycles and scooters I only ride couple times a year, so I have 2 vespa plates I use on 4-5 different vespas, a honda plate I use on a few of my hondas and so on. I make sure to insure everything I ride. Yeh it's not legal, but Ive never been pulled over, and my old man used to tell me "don't break the law when you are breaking the law". And besides most cops would not be able even locate the VIN numbers on my vespas.

I have had scooters and Motorcycles in Calif, and one thing I have learned is DO NOT SWITCH PLATES ! I have had many Suzuki vintage GS 850s and GS 1000s, sometimes 2-3 at the same time. My friends and I have learned not to switch plates because it is a crime : cheating the government and interfering in the legal process. If you leave a tag off, or forget to pay a plate fee, or have no plate at all you can claim you are just going around the block on something you are working on. But if you SWITCH plates, it shows intent, you planned to defraud and interfere ! And Cops are smart, they can find your VIN number or find someone who can. If it is worth riding it is worth paying, if only to stay out of trouble. David 'Zukiman' Gearhart in Fresno and Sonora, Ca.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #40

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Integrity=doing the right thing even when no one is looking
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp