Scamp on a half shell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp on a half shell?

Hmm,

Our sad saga of our damaged Scamp continues.

We are unsure about our Scamp's future. Apparently, there are no takers/interest in it as is. Understandable.

Another insurance adjuster was here yesterday. He asked about the feasibility of replacing the upper shell. I was not sure about that, however, Scamp indicated they can and would replace the entire upper half of the shell for ~ $6K. This would entail gutting the trailer replacing the top half and reassembly. No clue on how long that would take.

The adjuster appears to be leaning toward suggesting to the insurance company that it is a total "right off" given repairs would exceed 60% of the current market value.

So we would put all the accessories up for sale since there are no takers for the trailer as is.

Oh, how we loved our Scamp!

Bat Dude and family
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I definitely think you would get more interest in a repaired trailer. Like a vehicle that has been in an accident, it will still take a hit, and the quality of the repair matters, but...

Replacing the entire upper shell seems unnecessary in this case, structurally or cosmetically. Does the insurance company not want to do the lesser repair quoted by Scamp you previously posted with your sale ad? Or has something changed since then?

Of course, with a new trailer on the way, and assuming they are willing to total it, taking the money and moving on may be easier for you. If that happens, I wonder what the insurance company would take for it as salvage?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My sister bought back her totaled boler. I fixed the rear ended egg ( into the seating )has won awards, at get together. Look into selling as a total as Jon suggests. It gives a starting bidding price. Current pictures on this site my gain interest.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

Michigan
Scamp

I agree with Jon,

The upper half does not need replacing. That was just an item the claims appraiser suggested.

If I were ~10 years younger and had a lot of free time I could do the FB work myself. Entails carefully removing the rat fur on the ceiling. Then and using a suitable mesh FG cloth and appropriate resin and doing all of the interior fixes. Then replacing the rat fur and rear HEHR sliding window.

On the outside, the work is sanding down the rough spots on the top and having the gel coat refinished in an area ~ 2'x3' just to have it all look uniform again.

Seems I still have far too much to do with all the bat research with colleagues and students in Costa Rica, Peru, Venezuela, California, and Arizona at the moment. To say nothing about spending time plein air painting.

We have loved our Scamp and would rather see it go to someone who wants the entire package ready to tow and go Scamping. We would rather sell it to someone who would want it vs. having it scrapped and AC, fridge, fan, windows etc. cannibalized.

Oh well, I am taking the Zen approach "It is what it is" and if no one is interested in it as is (with all the accessories etc.) then the insurance company can deal with selling it for salvage. Unlike many folks on our FG forum, we do not have room to store more than one trailer.

As it is we did receive one "Nasty-Gram" from the community mobile security watch informing us of the community guidelines that RVs, utility trailers or boats are not to be stored on premises for more than 3 days. As we are well off the main road 99.9% of the folks passing never see it in any case. Barely visible from the lake either.

We are off in the morning in our Scamp for one last trip for a 3-day yoga retreat on Lake Michigan at a State Park then several days in another Mich. State Park about 90 miles further north.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude and family
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm still a little confused, BatDude... Why don't you have Scamp do the repair originally bid? Seems like that would come in under the threshold for declaring a total loss. Are you concerned that it would still be difficult to sell? Too much trouble and expense to get it to Backus?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

Michigan
Jon reply

Hi Jon,

Yes on most of what you noted is the case. I do not have the ~8-10 days to do the trip. This would be 3 days there, 3 days back and stay for 3-4 days or so for the repairs.

Also, insurance does not cover the additional travel, food, lodging to get there and back and stay while there. Adds more expense.

Just hoping someone would be interested in the complete package and able or willing to tackle the roof repairs.

Depending on the outcome of the insurance company response I may suggest it will be available for a very reduced amount.

However, the OBO clause I had has not generated any offers to consider or accept.

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Scamp half shell

Where is your Scamp located?
Gkrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #8

Michigan
Details on the entire "package" sway bar, hitch, etc. etc.. are listed under trailers for sale ...
Central Michigan
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Details on the entire "package" sway bar, hitch, etc. etc.. are listed under trailers for sale ...
Central Michigan
Direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-85514.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Bat Dude. It appears to me that you really are not trying to sell the trailer. You have focused only on the damage. Where are all the pictures of the inside, outside, what is the year? Your asking price of $12,000 does not align with the estimater view that $6,000 is 60% of the value. That would make the value only $10,000. Just my opinion, but after the value of the $10,000 (????) the repair and the hit for a repaired trailer should be factored in. So, what is the real value - $7,000 unrepaired? Be real above all else...
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #11

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
Too bad about your Scamp, hope it works out for you. FYI, I used an independent trucker to pick up our new Escape and saved a few thousand. He could pickup your damaged scamp and transport it if needed: Young Transport (on facebook)
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: looking
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Kasnick View Post
Your asking price of $12,000 does not align with the estimater view that $6,000 is 60% of the value. That would make the value only $10,000.
OP mentioned a lot of accessories/upgrades, to be sold separately if no takers. Presumably included in asking price of $12K and making up the difference, and then some I'd guess.
far-trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
What happens if someone buys it as is and the insurance company then decides to total it? Seems complicated trying to sell it before the insurance is resolved.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
What happens if someone buys it as is and the insurance company then decides to total it? Seems complicated trying to sell it before the insurance is resolved.
Insurance company would own it lock stock and barrel. Taking stuff out first would/could be considered fraud. Just my opinion.
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #15

Michigan
Hi All,

The $6K half shell was only one "off the wall" suggestion by the Mich. insurance guy. No local boat or auto body shops will do the work. As noted after the damage was incurred in January, one local (Georgia) insurance guy suggested $2K of "Sheet metal work" was necessary for the repairs. Clearly, most are not familiar with FG rigs and thinking stick built rigs.

As posted in the sale section (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post704376) Scamp said the repairs would be closer to $3K if they did FG repairs. This was not replacing the top half. I would also need to cover costs of time and lodging for 8-9 days including traveling there and back.

Sorry for the confusion as the various posts are in different sections. I just thought it was interesting that Scamp did have an option to replace a top half.

Pictures of the Scamp were also posted in the sale section showing the new awning etc. and full disclosure of the cracks/damage. A small crack was also discovered at the door frame and as posted elsewhere Scamp suggested ~$500 for that repair.

Below the new awning was rolled out.

Someone asked me if it was "road worthy"?

We just returned from a 5-day trip. On our way north on the second leg of our trip we stopped that famous Cherry Hut for Carolyn to indulge in her favorite dessert.

Boondocking at Leelanau State Park.

Esme is not included in the package! LOL.

The custom camping themed curtains are. These use the Scamp curtains as a liner.

The insurance is not an issue as one never needs to accept what they offer. If we sell the complete package they do not enter into it at all. So no complications. The new Fiamma awning etc. were already covered back in January.

In any case, the entire package is up for grabs since the leveler, anti-sway bar, tow hitch etc. are not applicable to the new Escape.

Likely any offer ~$10K would be good.

Again if we were not upsizing we would have had it repaired by Scamp.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 07-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #16

Name: Myron
New Mexico
Registry
Do not despair...to me your roof damage seems relatively minor. Upper shell full replacement (??) total absurdity.

Have you tried putting the Scamp up for sale on EBAY? That's where some years ago I found my '86 16 foot Scamp and you might agree it's shell was far, far worse...Five terrible cracks plus many other issues. Drove from NJ to outside Niagara Falls to pick it up, without hesitation, because these eggs, cracked or otherwise, are rarely found in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
scampcracks.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #17

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 1975 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Batdude / what is the status of this Scamp?

I see you are waiting for the new camper, what happened to this one - curious?
bscampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:59 AM   #18

Michigan
Our new Escape 19 was delivered to our doorstep Monday the 13th.
Our Scamp found a new home on Friday the 10th and migrated to South Carolina.

Live is good. One chapter of our FG life was closed and a new one began.
Tnx for asking.

Bat Dude
Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice to know the out come of the Scamp BD. Now, if you can make any heads or tails of your wax question................
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp