Can someone with a newer Scamp 19 tell me... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Can someone with a newer Scamp 19 tell me...

The brand / model number on the king pin box (the part that hitches to the bed of the truck)

I assume it's a Revolution or Sidewinder? Model name / #?

Does Scamp change these from time to time?

This will answer my question about the bed length. Ugh... what a pain in the arse!

Edit - Maybe it's a 'coupler' - I'm not sure what the difference is. Hopefully someone can tell me.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Are you talking about the receiver the part that bolts to the truck frame, or the drawbar the part that slides into the receiver. If talking about the receiver they are purchased to fit your particular vehicle, if you are talking about the drawbar they come in many different lengths and drop heights, usually it takes the tow vehicle and the trailer to get the proper drop height to pull your trailer level, this is very important. Other them that I have no idea what you want, king pin box threw me off.
To make this easier for you, you should get your 2" receiver installed first if not already done. If you are buying a Scamp or any trailer the manufacture will know where the top of the trailer ball needs to be to haul the trailer level, Mine was 22" measured from the ground to the top of the ball, so you need to purchase a drawbar and a trailer ball that when plugged into the receiver the top of the ball is a 22". Now there is another factor here you have to take into consideration, if the trailer has a tongue weight of say 400 lbs. then you will have to get that ground distance of 22" by putting 400 lbs. at the rear of your tow vehicle and see how much the vehicle sets down with that weight on it, two 200 lbs. guys should do the job. Now all you have to do is figure which drawbar you need to get so the 22" will still be there when the trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle. My top of ball is at 23" when unhitched and 22" with the trailer hitched. All vehicles will vary on how far they will set down when hitched, mine only set down 1" with 400 lbs. hitch weight, your goal here is to have the trailer set a level as possible. If your vehicle sets down too much then you go with a WDH to solve that problem. This is actually very simple, just may be somewhat confusing at first.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Don is asking about the parts that go in the truck bed for a Scamp 19 which is a 5th wheel type camper, although not a true 5th wheel.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Mine is 2004 and I do not know if that qualifies as "newer". I'll go out and see if there is something on the coupler that would indicate its origin.

Well, no name that I can make out, but two patent #'s 4763917 and 304818 and a lonely number 0344 are stamped on it. Those numbers are pretty low, those patents must have been awarded many decades ago and may be expired anyway.

Regardless of the make of the coupler, you need to go by the Scamp specifications, which say the ball should be less than 59 1/2 inches from the corner of the bumper of your truck (verify my number with them, to be sure). That gives the clearance they recommend. In a long bed truck, the ball may end up a little behind the axle, but a few inches either way are not a big deal. It is still going to tow rock solid.

This coupler is welded to the Scamp frame. What goes into the bed of the truck is just the 2" ball on a bracket.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Our's is an 01 but I'm pretty sure Scamp hasn't changed their hitch design significantly over the years.

The trailer has a 2" ball coupler just as you'd find on a bumper pull camper. https://www.trailerpart.com/images/P...edium/5758.jpg

The vehicle is where you will find a variety of solutions. In the past, Scamp offered a hitch that consisted of two towers with a cross member having the ball centered on it. Depending on the make/model of the truck and the owner's creativity, the towers were secured to the frame in a position that would put the cross bar directly over the axle while still providing adequate clearance for truck cab to trailer nose and truck bumper to trailer propane tank rack in sharp turns. In most cases. this style could not be easily or quickly removed from the truck.

Scamp now has a more conventional "fifth wheel" style hitch. It still uses a 2" ball rather than a pin but is much easier to install and remove. https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ch-detail.html

I have a double cab Tacoma with the short (60") bed and a tower / crossbar style hitch. With the ball about two inches behind the axle, I can make 90*+ turns without clearance issues.

Vertical clearance is also a concern and, with most newer trucks, you'll need a lift kit on the trailer. Scamp offers this as an option. Good luck in your quest; its certainly worth the effort.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Thanks for all the replies... Nobody wants to install that hitch into anything but an F-150 or bigger.

I'm hoping the New Ford Ranger will be an option before April next year.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp