Boler door...rotten to the core ;) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Boler door...rotten to the core ;)

Scrambling to get the frame, shell and cushions ready and left the door till now...

Area around the lock was hollow, so intended to just open it up and put some wood in there for things to screw to. When I got it cut open, I found out that the entire core is rotten and will need to be replaced.

Won't get to it before the trip...only have a week left, so put the wood in for the lock parts but will need to plan out the job for when I get back.

Reasonably sure I'm not the first one to encounter this, so wondering if someone can link to or supply some pictures of what I'm going to find when I separate the door skins?? What I dug out looks like small blocks of wood...all end grain like crosscut slices off a 2x4.

Thanks,
Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gippeto View Post
Scrambling to get the frame, shell and cushions ready and left the door till now...

Area around the lock was hollow, so intended to just open it up and put some wood in there for things to screw to. When I got it cut open, I found out that the entire core is rotten and will need to be replaced.

Won't get to it before the trip...only have a week left, so put the wood in for the lock parts but will need to plan out the job for when I get back.

Reasonably sure I'm not the first one to encounter this, so wondering if someone can link to or supply some pictures of what I'm going to find when I separate the door skins?? What I dug out looks like small blocks of wood...all end grain like crosscut slices off a 2x4.

Thanks,
Al
The small blocks of wood are a conformable material that is used as a lightweight filler when making thicker laminations. The wood blocks are attached to a scrim. The design of this product allows it to flex in more than one direction to adapt to the curvature. Quite likely that is balsa wood. This material comes in different thicknesses so be sure to measure the size of those blocks. You can source it from theFiberlay Company, use the keywords "end grain balsa core" in their search box. I have seen it at their Seattle store and was intrigued enough to inquire about what it was and how it is used. My curiosity just paid off for you since I can identify this mystery material by your description

You can purchase all of the supplies from Fiberlay for your repair project and they do share good technical advice. Over the years working on various types of projects be it fiberglass or mold making I have found them to be very good to deal with. They supply the marine industry and that core material is useful for boat building.

But another source for it is Amazon, since it is lightweight and can be rolled up that helps reduce the cost of shipping. https://www.amazon.com/BALSASUD-Core...=BALSASUD+Core

I see that the Amazon source offers it in an uncoated and newer epoxy coated verrsion. However I have no idea which version would be advantageous for your project so you have some research to do on that before you buy.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Thank you K Corbin, having the correct terminology is very helpful.

Will check these guys out when I get back;

https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/...S/Balsa?page=1

Also came across FRP panels...might be helpful for those wanting to fill large holes and in need of a fiberglass sheet good...or not, I have no first hand experience with this product, but will be looking into it for a new fridge cabinet.

Plastic FRP Edmonton | White | Plastics Plus Ltd.

Pics still welcome if anyone has BTDT...

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler