13' Perris Pacer Frame and axle work... to do - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #21

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
(Late reply - just recovered from disc crash.)

The reason that X diagonal cross-members were added to simple two-rail frames was to add some torsional stiffness. However there's a big difference between cars and trailers - cars sit on four wheels and so are able to put big torsional loads into their frames, while trailers sit on only three (two wheels plus hitch) and so torsional loads on trailers are much, much lower.

Well, they're much, much lower unless people start to go mad with levelling jacks....

Andrew

Right; absolutely right. Hadn't gotten that far in my thinking.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #22

Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport
Hi Folks,

Just a follow up to show off my new axle. I live in California, on the Central Coast. I found South Valley Trailers in Hollister, CA to do the job. The service mgr there, Mike, was very conscientious and did a good job. I ordered a unique configuration and he made sure the factory totally understood the setup.

My 13' Perris Pacer now has a Dexter TorFlex #9, 10* down angle, high profile (for extra lift), reverse orientation on the bracket (flat side out), side mount hanger kit, EZ Lube hubs, installed in a leading arm orientation. Pretty much the same configuration as Ken's above and looks identical.

On the electric brakes a change worth noting. During my research about trailing vs leading arms, I found out from the Dexter apps engineer that I could request 10" electric brakes (they build the axle with TorFlex #10 spindles etc). So... I went for it and so far so good! 10" might be overkill but I figured I could dial back the controller. Also, we needed to swap the left and right side brakes around because of the leading arm placement.

Overall, we're about 4" higher than before.

Here's a look-see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NEWAXLE2008.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	17112

thx
Billy
rudock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Very cool! Do you have pictures looking from underneath?

For some reason, and I see its the same as yours, the wheel in not centered in the wheel well - its a little forward, on mine they are different on each side - mine rally tracked well.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
My 13' Perris Pacer now has a Dexter TorFlex #9, 10* down angle, high profile (for extra lift), reverse orientation on the bracket (flat side out), side mount hanger kit, EZ Lube hubs, installed in a leading arm orientation. Pretty much the same configuration as Ken's above and looks identical.

On the electric brakes a change worth noting. During my research about trailing vs leading arms, I found out from the Dexter apps engineer that I could request 10" electric brakes (they build the axle with TorFlex #10 spindles etc). So... I went for it and so far so good! 10" might be overkill but I figured I could dial back the controller.

I wish I knew that you could order a Dexter #9 with 10" brakes 6 months ago!
That will make a huge difference on brake fade and wear.
Thank you for letting us know that's possible.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #25

Name: james
Trailer: 1974 perris valley 13 ft trailer
Oklahoma
My thanks to all of you for the frame comments, I have just cut all the body to frame bolts on my 74 pacer that I just have gotten in past few months stripped it down and maybe tomorrow will take body off, my frame has a bow in it aft of the axle of about three inches, looks like a new frame is going to get welded up, My frame rails appear to be made of 2 in square tubing, good thing this is a project, my early completion est. just went out the window this forum has been a good tool, thanks when I get my grandaughter to help I will load some pic. of my beast.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, perris pacer